Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a really unpleasant 2nd/subsequent birth after a very "pleasant" 1st birth?

(29 Posts)
Tinker Fri 14-Jan-05 16:16:45

Don't want to hijack the other thread atm but am just curious about this.

Had a very straightforward textbook pregnancy, labour and birh last time and this one seems to be very similar. However, am worried I'm becoming complacent about it. Well not worried but...

Any stories of 2nd and onwards being very different?

Thanks

motherinferior Fri 14-Jan-05 16:19:06

Tinker, it's not very likely, statistically. I'll email you with a piece I wrote.

Tinker Fri 14-Jan-05 16:20:19

Ooo, thanks MI.

Sallie Fri 14-Jan-05 16:52:46

My labour the first time round lasted about 20 hours. It was painful but had an epidural at around 12 hours which worked a treat - didn't feel a thing from that moment on and pushed ds without any pain or any stitches. No after effects from the epidural either. Second time around was very very different. Labour only lasted 3 hours and was very intense and got painful very quickly. Didn't know at the time but dd was posterior. Left it a bit late to go to hospital, waters broke at home on the loo - nearly had her there, then had to resist pushing with all my might in the car (luckily it was 6am so not much traffic) and she was delivered within 12 mins of us arriving at hospital. Still no stitches or problems but felt very shell shocked the second time. As I had the epidural first time, things slowed for a bit and got to doze for a while until I was told it was time to push - all a lot calmer until ds came out and didn't breathe straight away! DD came out screaming (typical of her .
I am sure you will be fine tinker. My two labours were very different but neither were ghastly.

wordgirl Fri 14-Jan-05 17:09:01

Hi Tinker, I have had three textbook pregnancies, labours and births so there's hope for you yet! I'm not sure whether I'm unusually lucky or whether it's just that you hear more about people's not so good experiences. Anyway, good luck with it all

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:00:06

Mine was but sorry, you probably don't want to hear it. First easy, second horrendous. You can search on my name if you really want to know how the second went. But it's v unusual, I'm sure you'll be fine.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:01:49

Hey actually, I say horrendous, it was still relatively short, at home and there weren't any complications or anything, just a big baby. And every time I look at my babe I know she was utterly worth it.

franch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:04:32

MI, would your article reassure someone utterly traumatised first time round and hoping for an easier time coming up? If so, please CAT it my way!

Angeliz Fri 14-Jan-05 18:07:18

I'm REALLY gald you asked this Tinker as i'm like that too.
I'm due in a few weeks and my first birth was great. VERY painful and VERY quick but as i was already 7cm's dilated when i went in, (with just mild cramps all day, till about an hour before arriving), i managed on gas and air. Had an angel of a midwife, (only bad part when they tried forceps.NO thankyou!!!).
Anyway, i too really worry that the second won't live up to the first!

When are you due?

Angeliz Fri 14-Jan-05 18:08:07

MI, cat it my way too if you still have my e-mail please as i loved your other article +

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:10:37

Just to point out here that my second baby was with a different partner. First was with ex dh, who is 5'11, our baby weighed 7lb and second was with dp who is 6'4, baby weighed 9lb 8oz. So it always was going to be a shock for me!

motherinferior Fri 14-Jan-05 18:33:46

Will do, Angeliz. Franch, CAT me and I'll send it to you.

<ahem, should point out I have no actual journalism qualifications, of course>

Tinker Fri 14-Jan-05 18:43:09

Ooo, these are interesting. www - 1st father was about 5'11" and I had a 7lber exactly. This father is 6'2"! But slim.

Angeliz - I'm due in May and tbh, I'm not worried but am wondering if I should be. Does that sound daft? I'm just assuming it will all be as easy and complication-free as last time when it may be completely different and I'll get a rude awakening. There's just no pleasing some people is there?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:43:55

Tinks, my dp is slim too!

motherinferior Fri 14-Jan-05 18:44:51

Personally I would continue blissfully assuming the best. Why not. Sail serenely through the next few months of F*ck-me Fecundity.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:47:06

BUT you shouldn't worry because you think you ought to!! Actually, someone who was really worried posted a while back and it came to me as I posted sympathy to her that all the worrying I did made NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever! If only I'd have been able to see that while I was in the midst of it then maybe I'd have realised how futile worrying was and might have had a more enjoyable pregnancy. If that makes sense? So, don't worry about not worrying and carry on not worrying

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:47:40

Aah, MI just said that!

Tinker Fri 14-Jan-05 18:47:49

www - Stop it!

motherinferior Fri 14-Jan-05 18:47:56

But more graphically

louee Fri 14-Jan-05 18:49:57

Well 1st baby she was born in 1hr 20 mins all easy on gas and air 7lb 3oz.2nd baby he was ages went into labour in the evening so stayed up till morning but contractions painful as usual,then went into hospital and contractions stopped ,then found out i had pre-eclampsia so after aal day bouncing up and down on a ball and pacing corridors doctors decided my waters to be broken ,then 5 hours and lots of horrible pain later out he came at 8lb 6oz, oh and both babies were back to back deliveries!!!!! but all is different for everyone !!!!!

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 18:52:06

I am going to shut the f**k up now Tinks!

maretta Fri 14-Jan-05 19:34:00

Hello Motherinferior.
I'd love a copy too if that's OK. I had a very easy first birth and am expecting no2. I'd really like a home birth and your article sounds like just what I need to reassure myself.

Can I CAT you?

dinny Fri 14-Jan-05 20:43:56

Tinker, my 2nd birth was, I'm afraid, much harder than 1st. A lot to do with baby's weight, dd (1st) was 5 weeks early and 6.7lb, ds was term and 9.2lb. Basically a LOT harder second stage the second time and ds's shoulders got stuck. All EASILY RESOLVED though, ds fine and I didn't even tear. WWW was brilliant when I was panicking about labour when pg. Think I knew somehow I'd got away too easily the first time (5 hour labour, 15 min stage, no tearing). Mind you, 2nd labour 5 hours too and was fine until ds got stuck. Had gas and air first time, nothing the 2nd. hth, think am wittering a bit Good luck, Tinker.

Blossomhill Fri 14-Jan-05 20:45:25

Although my 2nd birth was quicker I definitely found it more painful and intense. The actual pushing was so much easier but again more painful.

lockets Fri 14-Jan-05 20:46:45

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now