Talk

Advanced search

Does Induction equal more pain?

(19 Posts)
Mosschops30 Sun 02-Jan-05 20:50:02

Message withdrawn

golds Sun 02-Jan-05 20:52:17

Not sure really, but I was induced with dd, its wasn't anymore painful than with ds, but it was very quick, 2 hours start to finish. I didn't know what had hit me.

Slinky Sun 02-Jan-05 20:54:29

Not in my case! DD1 was a spontaneous, drawn-out labour which wasn't overly painful.

DS1 was an induced (prostin gel) birth which was incredibly fast (1 hour 15 minutes) and DS1 was born in the birthing pool. It was more painful than DD1s. I assumed that the reason it was faster and more painful was due to the induction.

DD2 was a spontaneous labour which was even quicker (1 hour 5 minutes) and was just as much, maybe even more painful than DS1s. Apart from the waterbirth with DS1, DD2 and DS1s births were more or less identical.

MrsBigDrumsADrumming Sun 02-Jan-05 20:56:13

I was induced with dd and it was agony. I think that the actual pain is equal to a normal full blown contraction, however it gets perceived as more painful as the contractions are full on straight away as opposed to the gradual increase when having normal labour
Does this make sense? Can't hear myself think, dd is having a great time with uncle and screaching to high heaven

warmmum Sun 02-Jan-05 20:58:01

If you are induced with a drip, then make sure that you have an anetietist on standby for an epidural.

I was induced twice with drip and had an epidural both times. 3rd time was induced with prostin gel and did not feel I needed an epidural. Good Luck

serenity Sun 02-Jan-05 21:05:55

I was induced with DS2 and I think the pain was more intense but not necessarily more painful. I think this is because there is no natural build up (I had a Sycotonin drip) and so you don't have time to get used to it IYSWIM. I managed with gas and air (only just though!) but I was so glad I didn't have to do it again with DD (she came after a sweep, but I was due to go in a couple of days later for induction)

Good luck, hopefully it'll all be over before friday!

huggybear Sun 02-Jan-05 21:43:10

i was induced with both of mine and had really easy labours. only needed gas and air and they were quick too. had the gel with ds1 and when i went into labour it lasted 2 hours. had my waters broke with ds2 and went straight into labour, this one was 4 hours and was fine. no tears or anything. i prefered being induced as everything was planned and controlled. good luck!!!

jenkel Sun 02-Jan-05 21:45:58

I agree with what the others said, I dont think it is necessarily more painful but just feels that way as there is no natural build up, it doesnt give your body a chance to produce adrenalin which is a kind a pain relief so the pain feels worse. My fist dd was induced, I had suppostries (sp) nothing happened with the first suppostrie at all and within 20 mins of the 2nd I was literally climbing the walls with pain, but once I had an epidural I felt fine. My 2nd was natural and I seemed to cope with the pain so much better. If you are being induced just make sure that you can have an epidural if necessary

Slinky Sun 02-Jan-05 21:46:48

HB

I preferred being induced as well - everything was planned with DD1, I was in hospital etc.

DD2 - we had to wait for childcarers to arrive, then drive to hospital. As I said, I was fully dilated on arrival. Had DH been at work (2 hours away) I would have been on my own with the other 2. Also, had we had to go to the other hospital up the road, DD2 would have been born at the side of the road.

DD2s was far more scarier and stressful as I was worrying about the other 2, panicking in the car etc, and then arrived at the hospital to have DH and the porter trying to convince me that I could walk up 2 flights of stairs!!!!

Slinky Sun 02-Jan-05 21:53:16

I had no build-up of contractions with my spontaneous birth at all!

My very first contraction was at 6.50am - no warning, niggles, nothing. Got up as it was incredibly painful. Had a shower and rang my brother (looking after kids). My contractions immediately came at every 2 minutes and I was clinging onto the door frame of the bathroom.

My brother lives 30 minutes away, so rang him again to hurry up, and again on his mobile in the car. He arrived here at 7.35am - me and DH walked out the door as he walked up the path. Straight into the car for the 5 minutes drive to hospital.

Into the maternity unit at 7.45am - midwife knew delivery was imminent and kept saying "wait for me, don't push", whilst trying to get her gloves on. Literally got my trousers off, she examined me (fully dilated), my waters broke and DD2 literally shot out at 7.52am!

Christmassbee Sun 02-Jan-05 21:54:47

Message withdrawn

jacjay Sun 02-Jan-05 21:56:38

i was induced with my first ds and i went through
labour with no drugs it was pain full but no more than the second ds labour
try not to worry

Posey Sun 02-Jan-05 22:15:33

I preferred my induced labour.
With dd, 1st labour, no induction, I had 12 hours of build-up then 12 hours of pain. With ds, 2nd labour, induced, I had practically the same of pain but no build up. But IMO, the fact that I wasn't worn out by the previous 12 hours made it more bearable. It also meant that my recovery was much swifter as I hadn't lost a nights sleep. Otherwise they were pretty similar births.

popsycal Mon 03-Jan-05 13:51:30

ds was induced a few weeks ealry. all happened very quickly and was fine really
it hurt but not as much as i thougt it did...still i have nothing else to compare it to...bump due in march though so we will see

Gobbledigook Mon 03-Jan-05 14:02:55

Induced with ds1 - waters broken and syntocin drip. Contractions built up quite quickly but had an epidural (on advice of consultant!) so no pain thereafter.

Spontaneous with ds2 - no real build up. A few niggles in the middle of the night, by morning felt some rectal pressure so went to hospital just in case (didn't take bag in as not sure in labour) - felt Ok but then waters broke spontaneously and 'bam' - OMG all I could do was scream the hospital down but he was out in 10 minutes

Spontaneous with ds3 - slower build up, knew I was in labour, totally in control so just used birthing ball and gas and air. Probably the most painful birth but easier in that I really felt in more control of myself etc so it was actually my 'favourite' one iykwim!

Please try not to worry about induction - it really isn't that bad. I've never heard any horror stories so not sure where the more painful theory comes from.

And don't forget - don't go for the induction if you don't want it and all is fine with the baby. Noone can make you!

kid Mon 03-Jan-05 14:05:47

I was induced by gel with DD as waters had already broke 24 hours and still no contractions. That didn't work so I was given the drip. The pain was very sudden but I am the worlds biggest wimp (I had valium to have a blood test!) and I can honestly say it wasn't that bad. Yeah it hurt, but then I knew that it would!
I had an elective c-section with DS so don't know what it feels like not to be induced but it didn't put me off wanting another baby.

SmokedSamN Tue 04-Jan-05 00:32:05

I was induced with ds1 (one application of the gel) and had ds2 at home. Don't think there was much difference between the pain - I got through both with no pain relief.

I've heard that the thing about induction is that it gets some parts of you ready for the birth but not others, so your body isn't working in sync (if that makes any sense). Maybe I was nearly 'ready' in ds1's case because I was 38 weeks anyway.

kinderbob Tue 04-Jan-05 07:37:41

As a TENS machine is supposed to boost your endorphins maybe this would be a good idea with an induction, to kind of boost your bodies natural reaction to the pain. I've no idea really, but I would try it if it was me.

KatieinSpain Tue 04-Jan-05 08:29:39

Like more or less everyone else, after an induction with DS2, I had a much more intense but much shorter labour. I had pethidine with both labours and whilst it really took the edge off with DS1 it didn't give me as much relief with DS2. There again, I was over two weeks late with him and just so pleased to see him, safe and sound.
I know the gel took a while to kick in with me - I had a dose at midday and active labour didn't really establish itself until sevenish. TBH, it was an OK experience, especially when you're holding the baby and grinning like an idiot - definitely me at 1.30am! The best of luck.
Don't forget to take stuff to do if you are induced in hospital. We hung round for quite a while, as they were a bit short-staffed and then, they weren't too happy with DS2's heart-beat. Be looking out for your birth announcement - let us know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now