Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an abruption?

(12 Posts)
pamina Thu 05-Dec-02 13:51:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MABS Thu 05-Dec-02 14:39:30

Pamina - you may not want to haer this but i've had placental abruption twice. The first time with dd , 8 yrs ago at 32 wks and 2 yrs ago with ds at 28 wks. I'm lucky - both of my babies survived, just.

With both of them I bled intermittently from 10 wks and both times I was admitted to hospital at 24 wks. Before that, the babies wouldn't have been viable.

In both cases I went on to have a big bleed, fortunately in hospital, and emergency sections were done. I'm sorry to say this and don't want to frighten you, but I can only speak from my experience.. Any more questions , please ask. Take care of yourself.

pamina Thu 05-Dec-02 15:24:51

Bumblelion Thu 05-Dec-02 16:22:43

Not sure if this is what I had with my first pregnancy (November 1992) (it has never been confirmed or explained) but 9 days past my due date I started bleeding (fresh blood, not old blood). They didn't induce me but I had to go to hospital straight away at their request. This was about 7 pm at night. They examined me but were not sure if I was in labour or not. My pains started about 9 pm and my daughter was born at 11:35 pm, 15 minutes after having been given pethidine (labour 2 hours 35 minutes from start to finish).

My second pregnancy was fine and I didn't have none of this bleeding and my son was born 2 days before his due date (February 1997).

My third pregnancy was also fine and she was born 1 day earlier (October 2001).

I am saying that because, if I did have abruption with the first pregnancy, I definitely didn't have it with my second or third pregnancy.

Hope this allays your fears.

lisac Thu 05-Dec-02 18:22:48

I've just had an appointment with my consultant on this very subject. I had DD 18 months ago. No bleeding whatsoever during pregnancy and I went into labour spontaneously 1 week before my due date. The labour went OK (not fast!) until second stage. It's all a bit of a blur, but DD wasn't making any downward progress and then her heart rate dropped suddenly. It looked as though I might need an emergency CS, but the Dr turned her using the ventouse (she had got stuck) and she was out within seconds. She was fine - oxygen levels OK and an apgar score of 9. I proceeded to bleed and lost about a litre.

I'm now 18 weeks pregnant and went to see the consultant to discuss what happened last time. She confirmed that I did have an abruption during second stage, and also told me I was very unlucky (she quoted a 2.5% risk if you're not within any of the high risk categories). She also told me I have a 20% chance of it happening again, and that there is nothing I can do to help prevent it.

Her recommendations for this time are not to have a home birth(!), for me to have a canula in my hand in case of another major bleed, and for me to have a managed third stage, ie to get the placenta out and the uterus contracting as quickly as possible. She also told me to try not to worry about it!

Looking on the bright side, I have an 80% chance of it not happening again, although I assume the hospital will want to monitor the baby carefully during labour.

From our discussion, it sounded as though little is known as to why abruptions happen which isn't very comforting for those of us in this position!

ariel Fri 06-Dec-02 10:18:48

I,ve got 3 children and bled throughout all my pregancys, i was told it was a cervical erosion. My last pregnacy(ds now 9 months) was just the same i had loads of scans and it wasnt untill my last scan at 27wks(ds came early at 29wks)i was told the bleeding was coming from the placenta, likly to be a abrubtion, but nothing was done.My labour was a nightmare, my temp shot up and ds was in distress he was then born by forceps, the doc was unable to remove my placenta and actually snapped the cord by pulling to hard, he eventully managed to remove it and said it was very ragged and unhealthy, but again did nothing about it.Four wks later a had a huge post partum(sp??) hemorage(SP??) and was rushed back to hospital to have a D and C, the surgeon said i had a huge amount of placenta left behind.It made me really angry that they were so careless.I think its really important to voice your concerns(and very loadly if they dont listen!!)

pupuce Fri 06-Dec-02 13:09:56

lisac.... IME - put the baby to the breast when he/she is born and if you are in a quiet and warm room... your uterus will continue to contract brilliantly (you shouldn't be distracted and allow to bond quietly and lovingly for your oxytocin levels to remain haigh... actually it is proven that they are evn higher for the 3 rd stage)... it is better to use natural hormones than synthetic ones (that's syntometrine)... but Drs do like to manage you!

But I am glad she told you to try to not worry about it... she is right!

lisac Fri 06-Dec-02 16:20:32

pupuce, thank you for your advice. Ideally, I would prefer to do it that way. Last time DD did go to my breast immediately but at the time I was continuing to bleed heavily. The Dr was extremely concerned about this haemorrhage and was busy down there for a while. Not a very relaxing environment, although I was blissfully unaware of exactly what was happening.

Do you think they will want to continuously monitor the baby's heartbeat throughout labour next time? I am very keen to have as much freedom of movement as possible during the first stage.

mears Tue 10-Dec-02 00:12:31

Lisac,

It is your choice whether you are continuously monitored or not. If your pregnancy progresses well and you have no bleeding problems then there is no reason why you should not remain mobile. I think women are not made aware that they have choices regarding labour. Make a birth plan and highlight to the midwives what you want your labour to be like. I love it when women come with a clear idea of what they want - especially previous C/S. Doctors want to manage the whole show but a few women have said they want to be in our midwifery unit with no intervention during labour. They have done very well. I think it is also about keeping an open mind and being informed of the reasons why continuous monitoring may be a preferred option. Straight forward labours can become complicated for various reasons and it is all about trusting the person you are with. Knowing you are being monitored for a particular reason is better than just following doctors orders. HTH.

pamina Wed 18-Dec-02 16:29:14

lisac Thu 19-Dec-02 15:12:43

Mears, thanks very much for your advice. I did find it difficult to make balanced decisions last time in the heat of the moment but I think it is natural to want to do whatever you are told is best for the safety of the baby (which I suppose might not actually be necessary).

Good luck Pamina!

barnpotsmum Fri 19-Sep-08 00:20:44

from barnpotsmum
My daughter who is 27 suffered a placental abruption 2 weeks ago and is lucky to have a live baby and be well herself. Abruption occurs in 1% of pregnancies and occurs when the placenta (which is baby's life support machine) peels away from the wall of the womb. It can be in any position and gives no indication of anything wrong until the abruption occurs. My daughter was 37 weeks and had an uneventful pregnancy. However babe was in the breech position. She began quite suddenly to have strong period like pains but no contractions as such. The risk factors are high blood pressure (hers was up a moderate amount) smoking (shes a non smoker) drugs (definately not!) so very little warning anything was amiss. These period pains were not accompanied by obvious contractions, though one of the symptoms of a 'silent' abruption is a mild but continuous contraction, not like the usual. As babe was breech there was no point staying at home as she would need a c section anyway so she opted to go to hospital asap. This decision saved the life of her baby as the consultant said the placenta comes away very quickly once it has started to peel off and hers was doing this as she came in. He said some placentas were just less 'sticky' than others. On arrival they did an immediate uss and tested baby's heartrate. This was dangerously low, and within 10 or so minutes she was whisked into theatre and her baby was out in 2 minutes. He had and apgar score of 1 (which is as bad as it gets and took a while to resucitate). He was on intensive care and eventually went on to have fits, which have now thankfully ceased. He is awaiting the results of an MRI scan which we are praying are not too bad for him. Plaental abruptions are quite rare and not always accompanied by bleeding although the haemorrhage to the mother can be fatal in severe cases. The baby can only survive a limited time without oxygen so it is vital mums have an idea about this condition. The consultant said most babies who survived did so because their mums were in labour in hospital. Many died and ones like my grandson fell into a grey area where they could be fully recovered or have disabilities. Our baby's breech position saved him as my daughter (barnpot) may have been tempted to stay at home thinking this was normal labour, so please please learn about this condition and act quickly if you think you may fall into this category, better to look a fool than give birth to a stillborn baby that you have longed for for 9 months. Get the hospital to check the babies heart straight away as this is the best indication that something is wrong and dont be fobbed off. Not all abruptions are accompanied by bleeding so dont be afraid of making a fuss. Say a quick prayer for our little Elliot and I hope my advice helps save just one darling little life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now