Talk

Advanced search

Can early labour feel like needing a poo?

(10 Posts)
ImaSababa Sun 06-Sep-20 08:06:34

So I've just had a membrane sweep and pessary for induction, and now feel like I need a big poo. But when I try, no poo. Is this a sign of early labour?? Also getting cramps low down.

OP’s posts: |
superram Sun 06-Sep-20 08:11:00

I had the most horrendous diarrhea when I went into labour-there was definitely poo. I had cramps after my sweep got in the bath but had to get out and use the loo.

EdwardCullensBiteOnTheSide Sun 06-Sep-20 08:23:32

When I was in labour with my first, the midwives were telling me my babies head was visible and I needed to push, but I was adamant I just needed a poo! I honestly thought I did and kept trying to go to the loo. There was no poo, one big push and baby was out (not down the loo)

Babyshine2020 Sun 06-Sep-20 08:26:11

I had a catheter in and asked to go to the toilet for a poo.. they wouldn't let me and just said it was the baby. I was only about 5cm by this point

RefuseTheLies Sun 06-Sep-20 08:29:28

This happened to me. I asked the midwife for
a bed pan (I’d had an epidural) and asked everyone to leave the room. The midwife even said to me ‘it’s just labour - £20 says you don’t actually need a poo’ but I was adamant.

I did not need a poo and it was just labour.

ImaSababa Sun 06-Sep-20 09:44:11

Scintillating update! I had a poo.

I'm apparently hyper-stimulated by the induction pessary.

OP’s posts: |
OhToBeASeahorse Sun 06-Sep-20 23:23:06

That's good! Fingers crossed your cervix joins in soon!

Em2122 Tue 08-Sep-20 07:17:47

I had that sensation in early labour being induced . However not in natural labour

Kinsters Tue 08-Sep-20 14:46:49

Early labour for me felt like needing to wee. In hindsight what I thought was the urge to pee were little contractions!

jessstan2 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:58:03

There is a comparison between labour and needing a poo. As a young person I was very constipated, from childhood. Labour was a breeze by comparison, I felt as though I had done it all before :-). After having a child I was no longer constipated, never worked out why; I think being at home for a while, relaxing, may have played a part but that's another story.

Of course some people do actually poo during labour, that's why enemas are often given though I managed to avoid that because I was too far on when I went into hospital.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in