Talk

Advanced search

ERCS instead of VBAC - share your great experiences!

(7 Posts)
FoxtrotSkarloey Mon 17-Aug-20 09:05:01

Just looking for a bit of reassurance if you chose ERCS instead of VBAC. I've spent ages agonising (and asked about a billion questions on here), but now I'm having doubts.

DS1 was breech and big so I had to have an ELCS. DC2 is due soon and VBAC is a possibility medically, but I have concluded ERCS is the best for the baby and for me:
- due to my age they won't let me go overdue
- I don't want an induction as the threshold for having to call it quits and have EMCS is so much lower
- I wouldn't be able to use the birthing pool or midwife unit
- it's safer for the baby
- I recovered fine from previous c section
- I'm not worried about not experiencing a vaginal birth
- I'm not planning any more children
- I often feel I had an easy time compared to friends who have all manner of tears and incontinence issues
- DH and DM will be around for at least six weeks to look after DS1

But having arrived at the decision, the niggles and what ifs are setting in. Suddenly I've forgotten how I used to tell everyone how straightforward it had been, and all I can remember is the long stay in hospital, the dreaded cannula, the heat, not sleeping, waking up the next day sitting in a pool of blood, the noise, the fecking compression socks, the clexane injections, not being able t move easily. And I might not recover as I did. And then my head says 'well a VBAC could go smoothly and you'd be home that day'. ARGH.

OP’s posts: |
DuggeeHugs Mon 17-Aug-20 12:13:25

I had a similar list of reasons to yours. As it turned out, the ELCS went brilliantly and I was home 24 hours later. I don't regret it and would make the same choice again. Yes, there was still the clexane and the discomfort, but by the 6 week mark I was completely back to normal. It also meant I'd been able to plan, which was a lot less stressful than the unexpected 9 days in hospital with DC1!

FoxtrotSkarloey Mon 17-Aug-20 13:20:21

Thanks for replying! I'm desperately hoping to be home in 24 hours. Last time I was fit for discharge but DS wasn't feeding so we had to stay in a second night. Don't want to get my hopes up though as I know I could get bumped to later in the day or 101 other things might happen to delay discharge.

DuggeeHugs Mon 17-Aug-20 17:28:53

I think the most frustrating bit is feeling ready to go home but having to wait hours for the right person to sign you out!

There was a long wait for a theatre the day I was in with DC2 - two women had come back from the day before because they'd run out of capacity. Luckily it was a Thursday; at tea time they opened a second theatre - apparently because they wanted to be able to discharge me before the weekend if at all possible. They always seem to be near/at capacity so I was grateful they wanted me gone.

FoxtrotSkarloey Tue 18-Aug-20 08:18:01

That always seems to be the case, doesn't it! Either you're waiting for a doctor to review the notes, or they've said it's ok but you have to wait for a nurse to do the paperwork. Easy to feel forgotten but then you don't know what else is going on.

TuttiFrutti Tue 25-Aug-20 18:56:32

I had a brilliant experience with my ERCS - there was no pain at all, the only slightly uncomfortable thing was getting the canula put in the back of my hand. It compared favourably with a check up at the dentists! And a breeze compared to natural childbirth.

I think you know in your heart you have made the right decision.

WankPuffins Wed 26-Aug-20 17:50:56

@FoxtrotSkarloey when are you due?

I had an elective section last week - I had it at 10pm and was discharged at 2pm the next day. Due to covid a lot of hospitals are getting people out ASAP. I’d been out of bed for twenty mins by the time they came to get us for the new baby check and I had to chase the midwife down the corridor! All paper work to get me out was done in half an hour, never known such efficiency - took me a whole day of nagging to get it sorted after my last section. My bloods to check iron were turned round in less than an hour as well so you might not be in for as long as you think!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in