Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had sterilisation during c-section?

(8 Posts)
AnneTwackie Mon 13-Jul-20 07:59:10

I’m pregnant and sure that I don’t want any more children. Has anyone had this done? I’ve seen an old post and the success rate was not great. TIA

OP’s posts: |
Itsgottobethisone Mon 13-Jul-20 08:08:10

I was told there was a chance it wouldn’t work but that it had a higher success rate then the keyhole way of doing it. I didn’t have it done in the end as they said I was ‘too sticky’ and recommended my partner have a vasectomy instead.

Fandanglethat Mon 13-Jul-20 12:19:34

My obstetrician refused. She said it is much less successful when combined with a c section due to the swelling.

namechange30000 Mon 13-Jul-20 23:24:43

My hospital told me 1 in 200 failure rate and highly unlikely to fail.

upthewolves Wed 15-Jul-20 20:58:47

I had it 2.5 years ago. I think it is slightly more likely to fail than keyhole due to swelling but we are talking tiny differences in effectiveness as both are highly effective. Anyway for me it seems to have worked! I do have a shorter cycle now (21 days used to be 28) which is annoying as I feel my period comes round again really quickly but my periods are basically painless now and I suffered with them a bit before. Of course, these changes could be nothing to do with the ligation and just down to changes after pregnancy/ delivery.

Wilburgh Sat 18-Jul-20 12:11:26

I was considering it for this time, my 3rd baby and I don’t want anymore.

But I’ve had such poor care during this pregnancy that I don’t trust the hospital as far as I can throw them. I don’t trust them with the section let alone adding something else into the mix.

Accidentofbirth Sat 18-Jul-20 12:18:20

I have posted this before but my mum was sterilised during a section, the baby died a few days later and she was left with nothing. I would not have it done for this reason although it is probably uncommon.

Monstamio Sat 18-Jul-20 16:34:37

I'm probably going to have it done in three weeks time. Third baby and I'm definitely done. Failure rate is 1 in 200 as opposed to something like 1 in 2000 for vasectomy. I wouldn't be volunteering for it as a standalone operation, but it seemed sensible as I was having the c section anyway.

My trust removes a section of fallopian tube before tying them off so the likelihood of them reconnecting is reduced.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in