Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone refused an induction to have csection??

(53 Posts)
MissRiss Sun 14-Jun-20 14:15:02

Hi I'm looking to hear from people that have refused an induction..

I'm due on Tuesday and baby is showing no signs of coming and seems pretty comfortable in there, it's also my first baby so I'm expecting her to be late.

I was crying on the phone to my midwife yesterday as I'm absolutely terrified of childbirth, especially getting induced. I know everyone has different induction experiences but from the people I know personally that have had it, they have all had horrific experiences and it's enough for me to know that I definitely don't want to go through it!! I would much prefer a c-section. I know it's not necessarily the easier option and I know there are many risks that come with it, but I would much rather have that than an induction.

The midwife told me that I have the right to refuse and induction (which I didn't know), and if baby doesn't come naturally then they will have to go down the c-section route.

I want to know, can I just be up front and say I dont want to be induced and request a c-section straight away? Or do I have to wait to see if baby comes naturally first? Also, will the staff constantly try and convince me to be induced and keep plugging me with reasons for why its beneficial or will they just respect my request?

Xxx

OP’s posts: |
saritah Sun 14-Jun-20 16:20:47

You absolutely have the right to refuse an induction (I wish I had known this at my first birth because the hospital staff acted as if I had no choice).

Obviously don't want to scare you but I had a horrendous first labour as a result of induction. Equally, a C-section is major surgery with potential consequences for future pregnancies.

Do you think your dates are correct? Can you wait until you go into labour naturally? (Some women just have their babies later than 40 weeks.) Whatever you decide, it is your choice. I'd recommend trying some relaxation techniques as if you're stressed going into labour your body won't cope as well.

MissRiss Sun 14-Jun-20 16:28:44

@saritah no I think my due date is about 4 days too early to be honest! I am getting very very uncomfortable and impatient though!! But regardless of that, I know that I definitely do not want to be induced.
I would much prefer a cesarean, I am fully aware of the risks, but for me personally I think it's best. And would put me at ease knowing that is an option! I'm just hoping the hospital staff dont keep badgering me to change my mind as this will stress me out xx

OP’s posts: |
thelostartofkeepingsecrets Sun 14-Jun-20 16:36:00

I declined an induction at 11 days over my due date, and was booked for an elective section 2 days later. I hoped labour would have started itself in those 2 days but it wasn’t to be. I went into hospital as planned for induction and just asked to speak to one of the obstetricians when I got there. I thought I might have to do a bit of persuading but they agreed straight away. I think it helped that I work in the field, as does my husband, but only in terms of knowing the risks already.

Ohnoherewego62 Sun 14-Jun-20 16:38:59

I was induced with one pessary and was a very quick labour including episotomy due to fetal distress. Contractions were painful but I have nothing to compare it too as it was first labour.

Didnt have time for the second one 😂

Good luck on whatever you decide and I hope you're given the right information!

MrsAvocet Sun 14-Jun-20 16:41:54

Yes I did. Well, sort of. I was given the option of an induction or a section with my first baby who needed to be born early due to complications with the pregnancy and some underlying medical issues that I have. The midwives leaned fairly heavily on me to choose the induction but the obstetrician was more balanced and talked about pros and cons of each. In my particular circumstances I was very keen to avoid an emergency section and felt I would rather have the surgery done in a controlled way than risk a crisis in the middle of the night.
I would suggest you ask for an appointment with an obstetrician to discuss your options. Even if not seeing people face to face they must have something in place like video or phone consultations.

PatchworkElmer Sun 14-Jun-20 16:44:03

I went for a halfway house- consented to pessary, but said if that didn’t work I was absolutely not having the drip, and wanted a c-section.

The pessary went in at 9pm- DS was born less than 12 hours later.

babba2014 Sun 14-Jun-20 16:55:46

Due dates don't mean anything. I really dislike how women are pressured to bring their baby out on their due date. Your baby bay still need another three weeks to grow.
Remember, they are just estimates.
You have every right to refuse and induction and a csection and wait it out. They don't fall the shots, you do so you can ask for daily monitoring.

SoloJazz Sun 14-Jun-20 17:56:20

I'm going to refuse induction at my next consultant appointment on Tue and ask for a planned c section instead. Induction scares me with its unknowns, possible instrumental interventions and emergency c section. I'm 41 weeks today and will wait until 42 weeks to have a c section. They keep scaring me with risk of failed placenta and stillbirth after 42 weeks due to my age (40) but apart from the age my pregnancy has been ok so I might decide to wait even past 42 weeks. They keep monitoring me and everything seems ok so far. I'll let you know how they react to my request on Tue!

SoloJazz Sun 14-Jun-20 17:59:46

@PatchworkElmer I tried to go down this route but everyone keeps telling me that it's impossible and that if I agreed to double balloon (that's what they do in my trust) then I'll have to go all the way through (including drip)... I'll ask the consultant about this too!

PatchworkElmer Sun 14-Jun-20 18:06:52

@SoloJazz worth a go! To my mind, you can surely refuse any treatment at any time in the process- surely this is your right as patient. Certainly if I’d been told I had to commit to the whole thing at the start, I would’ve said no and asked for a c section. You don’t know how it’s going to drag on for, or how you’ll feel whilst it’s going on, for a start.

TheChestnutCafe Sun 14-Jun-20 18:11:35

I went a full 2 weeks over with my first (20 years ago now) and I started getting labour pains so went to hospital as advised. It then stopped so I was told I had to be induced,which I did as I wanted to avoid a c section.
Nothing happened after I was induced, no dilation, my midwife was checking me and it turned out I had a cord prolapse so was rushed off for emergency csection where I was knocked out.

Tbh it was horrendous, I also haemorrhaged badly so had to have several blood transfusions before I was let out of hospital. Thankfully baby was fine.

Nine years later when I had my second (and last) child I wanted to try for a vbac but ended up having another emcs - it was more civilised though as I was awake for it.

Definitely go for a planned c section if possible. Induction is horrendous and (I think) often ends up in emcs anyway.

AnnieCartwright Sun 14-Jun-20 18:15:16

SoloJazz

*@PatchworkElmer* I tried to go down this route but everyone keeps telling me that it's impossible and that if I agreed to double balloon (that's what they do in my trust) then I'll have to go all the way through (including drip)... I'll ask the consultant about this too!

Just because you consent to treatment doesn't mean you can't withdraw consent whenever you wish.

SoloJazz Sun 14-Jun-20 18:15:44

Yep, I agree, that's why I was just going to ask for c section (if they don't agree to me having balloon but not the drip). I'll see what they say on Tue! Thank you smile

MissRiss Sun 14-Jun-20 18:22:34

@SoloJazz ohhh let me know how it goes!!

OP’s posts: |
SoloJazz Sun 14-Jun-20 18:23:24

@MissRiss I'll do!

Wanderer1 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:23:44

I won't be accepting an induction but I'm happy to go over 42 weeks with increased monitoring, which is another option.
I think Csection is favourable in certain instances though, for example I'd ask for Csection over forceps.
Every decision is personal and you have to make the decisions and take the risks that feel right for you. Your HCP should support you in that x

SoloJazz Sun 14-Jun-20 18:29:09

I have also found this article which is quite helpful I think https://www.birthrights.org.uk/2013/10/30/do-i-have-a-right-to-choose-a-c-section/

SirVixofVixHall Sun 14-Jun-20 18:29:42

I had the pessary, but when it was clearly not working at all ( days before due date, baby not ready but I had pre eclampsia) I asked for a c-section as i had a gut feeling I would end up with an emergency section later anyway.
A c-section is far from ideal, so hopefully you will go into labour naturally, but the rate of c-sections after induction is really high anyway, so not at all unreasonable to ask for one at that point.
Good luck OP.

BabyLlamaZen Sun 14-Jun-20 18:32:57

Yup! Refused the induction. Won't bore you with the details but I knew by that point it was unlikely to work. They were a little huffy but still did it. Best choice ever smile

BabyLlamaZen Sun 14-Jun-20 18:33:31

It is your body and extremely vulnerable position to be in. You need to feel right about the choice you make.

BabyLlamaZen Sun 14-Jun-20 18:34:33

@Wanderer1 that's what I chose it. I knew forceps was very likely.

Thinkpinkstink Sun 14-Jun-20 18:37:05

I had an EMCS following failed induction.

If I had my time again I'd 10/10 refuse an induction and opt for an elective CS. Without a shadow of a doubt.

CarlottaValdez Sun 14-Jun-20 18:40:04

I refused to be booked in for induction and said I’d do CS if he went too far over. In the end he came along at 41+5 I think.

georgie279 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:45:25

I had to have an induction (health reasons) it was very traumatic, after a failed natural & instrumental I had a c section.

Not trying to scare you, lots of women I know have had fairly 'easy' straightforward inductions, my baby was just breech and they didn't know this until I was trying to push her out.

A c section isn't easy to recover from, you'll need help a lot at first but I found the more I got on with it the quicker I felt better.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in