Talk

Advanced search

doulas and setting up business

(19 Posts)
natmatt Sun 23-Sep-07 15:59:24

have any doulas out there approched a business set up place such as small business gateway or business link???? how was your idea looked at? i have visions of mine aughing and telling me to get a life has anyone been successful???

3Ddonut Sun 23-Sep-07 19:42:03

Why do you need to? Put a few leaflets in a few choice places and get known in M and T groups and the such, aren't those set up places for financial needs, surely a doula 'business' is low set up?

lulumama Sun 23-Sep-07 20:12:08

no, i haven't.

have put feelers out in NCT, local hospital, Sure Start, places like that

a doula business should grow through word of mouth , and virtually all my bookings & enquiries have come through being on Doula UK.

3Ddonut Sun 23-Sep-07 21:51:04

Hi Lulu, how's it going, I'm trying to find the funds to do the natural birth course locally but it looks unlikely sad I have one booking for Jan though smile

DaisyMOO Mon 24-Sep-07 09:35:00

If it's the cost of going on a doula course I know a way that you might be able to do it for free. Email me if you're interested nappymad@yahoo.com

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 13:24:49

have just done my 4th birth! woo hoooooo!!!!this morning << tired, so very tired>> well done on getting a booking already

3Ddonut Mon 24-Sep-07 13:31:24

so are no longer a 'trainee' then Lulu?

3Ddonut Mon 24-Sep-07 13:33:11

daisy... that sounds very cloak and dagger!!! I will email you though grin I phoned the woman who runs it and she just said she needed payment up front, it said on the site that I could have a reduced course if I hosted it, but that's not an option. I have sold ALL of my cardmaking stuff to pay for it, and my dh has spent all of the money I made. (he needed it too)

NoNameToday Mon 24-Sep-07 13:55:21

Really pleased for you lulumama

DaisyMOO Mon 24-Sep-07 14:08:50

It's totally above board - I'll explain when I email back.

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 15:02:21

need to be assessed by my mentor, but have don my 4 grin

thanks noname, am so very pleased, also, baby 2 weeks early, so i don;t have the next 4 weeks waiting for the phone to ring !!

NoNameToday Mon 24-Sep-07 15:22:30

Don't be too sure about the phone ringing lulumama, someone may have an emergency need for a doula!

Go for it

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 15:31:15

as long as i can sleep tonight, i don;t care !

<<zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............>>

Pruners Mon 24-Sep-07 15:32:16

Message withdrawn

3Ddonut Mon 24-Sep-07 21:10:34

lulu, who is your mentor and where did you find her/him? Thanks and congrats!

Klaw Mon 24-Sep-07 22:43:25

I am planning on using Business Gateway to see if I can get grants etc to get leaflets/business cards printed, and for any possible help with website etc.

I made tentative phone call enquiries before doing my course in case there was any help with the course costs, which there wasn't, but when I mentioned the word Doula, the lady on the phone didn't bat an eye lid, understood and sent out info with on Doulas in it.

I did call recently to start up enquiries again but that time I spoke to ineptitude cos he never got anything back out to me again... so wil have to try again.

lulumama Tue 25-Sep-07 13:34:39

my mentor / assessor was assigned by doula uk

3Ddonut Tue 25-Sep-07 14:01:25

thanks lulu, Klaw, I suppose there's assistance to be had then? I never considered this route.

natmatt Wed 26-Sep-07 00:43:37

oopps i thing i put my reply in a new thread!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now