Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

doulas and setting up business

(19 Posts)
natmatt Sun 23-Sep-07 15:59:24

have any doulas out there approched a business set up place such as small business gateway or business link???? how was your idea looked at? i have visions of mine aughing and telling me to get a life has anyone been successful???

3Ddonut Sun 23-Sep-07 19:42:03

Why do you need to? Put a few leaflets in a few choice places and get known in M and T groups and the such, aren't those set up places for financial needs, surely a doula 'business' is low set up?

lulumama Sun 23-Sep-07 20:12:08

no, i haven't.

have put feelers out in NCT, local hospital, Sure Start, places like that

a doula business should grow through word of mouth , and virtually all my bookings & enquiries have come through being on Doula UK.

3Ddonut Sun 23-Sep-07 21:51:04

Hi Lulu, how's it going, I'm trying to find the funds to do the natural birth course locally but it looks unlikely sad I have one booking for Jan though smile

DaisyMOO Mon 24-Sep-07 09:35:00

If it's the cost of going on a doula course I know a way that you might be able to do it for free. Email me if you're interested nappymad@yahoo.com

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 13:24:49

have just done my 4th birth! woo hoooooo!!!!this morning << tired, so very tired>> well done on getting a booking already

3Ddonut Mon 24-Sep-07 13:31:24

so are no longer a 'trainee' then Lulu?

3Ddonut Mon 24-Sep-07 13:33:11

daisy... that sounds very cloak and dagger!!! I will email you though grin I phoned the woman who runs it and she just said she needed payment up front, it said on the site that I could have a reduced course if I hosted it, but that's not an option. I have sold ALL of my cardmaking stuff to pay for it, and my dh has spent all of the money I made. (he needed it too)

NoNameToday Mon 24-Sep-07 13:55:21

Really pleased for you lulumama

DaisyMOO Mon 24-Sep-07 14:08:50

It's totally above board - I'll explain when I email back.

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 15:02:21

need to be assessed by my mentor, but have don my 4 grin

thanks noname, am so very pleased, also, baby 2 weeks early, so i don;t have the next 4 weeks waiting for the phone to ring !!

NoNameToday Mon 24-Sep-07 15:22:30

Don't be too sure about the phone ringing lulumama, someone may have an emergency need for a doula!

Go for it

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 15:31:15

as long as i can sleep tonight, i don;t care !

<<zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............>>

Pruners Mon 24-Sep-07 15:32:16

Message withdrawn

3Ddonut Mon 24-Sep-07 21:10:34

lulu, who is your mentor and where did you find her/him? Thanks and congrats!

Klaw Mon 24-Sep-07 22:43:25

I am planning on using Business Gateway to see if I can get grants etc to get leaflets/business cards printed, and for any possible help with website etc.

I made tentative phone call enquiries before doing my course in case there was any help with the course costs, which there wasn't, but when I mentioned the word Doula, the lady on the phone didn't bat an eye lid, understood and sent out info with on Doulas in it.

I did call recently to start up enquiries again but that time I spoke to ineptitude cos he never got anything back out to me again... so wil have to try again.

lulumama Tue 25-Sep-07 13:34:39

my mentor / assessor was assigned by doula uk

3Ddonut Tue 25-Sep-07 14:01:25

thanks lulu, Klaw, I suppose there's assistance to be had then? I never considered this route.

natmatt Wed 26-Sep-07 00:43:37

oopps i thing i put my reply in a new thread!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: