Talk

Advanced search

Sweep and anxieties

(4 Posts)
MissRiss Wed 10-Jun-20 11:24:17

Hi I'm 39 weeks pregnant with my first baby and my midwife said she will offer me a sweep next week but I don't have to do it if I don't want to. The thought of a sweep sends shivers down my spine, the whole labour process is terrifying for me and I am so scared and have been losing sleep over thinking about it!! I have begged my midwife for a chance to have a planned c-section where I can just be put to sleep and woken up when it's all over because I don't think i can do this!!
The thought of being poked and prodded just makes me want to be sick but I've heard that sweeps are highly recommended.

If baby is late would you recommend a sweep for someone as scared and nervous as me? Or should I just wait and let nature take its course?

OP’s posts: |
impatient2bmummy Wed 10-Jun-20 11:29:08

Hi!

Don't have any advice but in the same boat as you, I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and have been offered a sweep at my 40 week appointment. Although I'm nervous, I will deffo accept the sweep if baby hasn't come naturally purely because I'd like to avoid induction with medication as much as possible and the sweep is likely to get things moving along!

I hope your little one comes naturally before your sweep and all I can say is try taking one day at a time, you don't know what's going to happen tomorrow and you could be stressing over nothing 💖

Megan2018 Wed 10-Jun-20 11:36:28

There’s no need for a sweep unless you are very overdue and the evidence that they do anything is weak.

I wanted an ELCS as I was terrified of birth, but in the end I had a vaginal birth that was nowhere near as bad as I feared. Really positive actually.
In my head it was far worse than reality.

Once you are in labour you will be amazed at what you can do, however baby comes out. Things you can’t possibly imagine enduring are actually ok as getting baby out becomes your focus. It’s very strange.

Good luck!

fool11 Wed 10-Jun-20 11:37:29

i had a sweep at 39w, i was scared as didn't know what to expect, it wasn't pleasant, but didn't hurt like i thought it would, it was over quickly, i kind of tried to think of something else while she was doing it and it worked, water broke around midnight, my daughter was born next day. I'm currently 33w and hoping to have a sweep at 38w (they want the baby out early as high risk) and hoping it will work again, as don't really want an induction or c-section. Hope it goes well for you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in