Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone describe a contraction?

(14 Posts)
Lulabellx1 Sat 22-Sep-07 22:56:45

Hi Guys

I am 40 + 5 days and eagerly awaiting the birth of my first baby. Have had LOTS of niggling pains this evening. Mainly short sharp pains, but i dont think they are contractions as they dont last for any length of time.

Also, if i go for a wee then it eases it for a bit and it seems to start up again about 20 mins later.

Can anyone describe the feeling of a contraction?

Regards
Lu xx

maisym Sat 22-Sep-07 22:59:07

strong muscular tightness and then a release of this.

moondog Sat 22-Sep-07 23:00:36

Period poins combined with feeling of entire lower regions being crushed in a vice.

You'll know when it really happens,believe me!

Best of luck.

SlightlyMadSweden Sat 22-Sep-07 23:02:36

As well as the pain - if you put your hand on your bump you should feel it going rock hard during a contraction, and softening after.

TBH you will know when they are contractions. Until then try and ignore them.

If it eases after a wee could it be a UTI?

melpomene Sat 22-Sep-07 23:03:43

Squeezing feeling, like a period cramp but worse.

Are you timing your pains? Are they happening at a regular interval? I knew I was really in labour when I realised I was in pain every 7 minutes.

suzi2 Sat 22-Sep-07 23:04:05

Ever been on one of those electric shock slimming machine belt thingys? Like that! Like your tummy is doing a really tight situp but you're not! Sometimes the pain is felt in the back first. For me, I felt like my bum was being pulled up from the inside and then everything went really tight and overwhelming strong.

cat64 Sat 22-Sep-07 23:04:39

Message withdrawn

Roskva Sat 22-Sep-07 23:06:12

Congratulations!

I suspect everyone feels contractions differently. I was induced at 38 weeks for various reasons, so I was monitored regularly after the gel was administered, and at first I didn't feel anything although according to the monitor I was having contractions. Then it felt a bit like sporadic period pain, and got a lot stronger as labour progressed. A friend of mine who was having a home birth felt like she was having mild period pain, and by the time she called her mw arrived, she was almost fully dilated.

If you think you are having contractions, then it is probably a good idea to ring your mw - she will listen to what you describe to her, and advise you as to what to do next.

Anyway, good luck and hope everything goes well for you <hug>

Lulabellx1 Sat 22-Sep-07 23:10:52

Thanks guys. Wasnt sure whether to ring the midwife or not as im not sure whether im reading into it too much? Dont want to bother them uneccasarily. Also, dont want to give my partner a heart attack uneccasarily too! Everyone seems to be saying when it happens i will know... so i think i might run a bath and see if the short sharp pains continue.

I havnt had a show or anything, but i thought you could still start labour without this?

Lu xx

moondog Sat 22-Sep-07 23:12:30

Yes you can.I did,both times.

Let us know how you get on!

maisym Sat 22-Sep-07 23:12:37

I've never had a show that I've noticed! Give the m/w a call - they wont mind. Best wishes xxx

vixma Sat 22-Sep-07 23:15:23

Hi, with me and my first born I knew straight away as contractions feel different to anything I had felt before. The only way I could releive them was by either shouting or copying the breathing of my partner (i did not go to pre-natal classes). My waters broke and distraction in any way was great. It felt in my case like I was being kicked from the inside hard with an echoing pain however I was playing really soothing music which helped loads. I have to say though the feeling of giving birth is proberly the most intesive and wonderful feeling you could actually have. I was over due and was really scared of the pain, however the overall experience is something out of this world. Good luck and I hope all is well. I am discussing my experience so yours mabe different, but good luck and I wish you all the best because your going to be a mum! How awesome is that!

Klaw Sun 23-Sep-07 00:14:31

Lulabellx1,

suggest you get to bed and try to rest, on your left side. When you can no longer rest, or hopefully sleep, then you will be in labour. If you get to sleep and contractions tail off it will be for a reason and you will be rested. Either way your baby will be here soon.

I love this link about early labour mistakes. Lookign forward to the BA!!!

cat64 Tue 25-Sep-07 22:16:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now