Talk

Advanced search

VBAC Experience at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary

(8 Posts)
ShellD Thu 20-Sep-07 21:47:24

Hi, I an 36 weeks pregnant with my second baby and hoping to avoid another C-section. I was wanting to hear if anyone had a VBAC experience at ERI, good or bad and if you have any advice on how to deal with it. I am concerned about what I have read on the internet about restrictions on movement and continuous fetal monitoring in particular.

Thanks

Klaw Thu 20-Sep-07 23:16:44

I am in Angus so don't have experience of ERI, however, as you are concerned I suggest you contact your Local Supervisory Authority Maternity Officer (Head of Midwifery) and ask her to urgently speak with you regarding your Birth Preferences (especially the concerns you mentioned here). Hopefully, then you will feel confident that your preferences have been listened to and that your VBAC will be fully supported.

HTH

stiefyloo Thu 20-Sep-07 23:19:16

Hi ShellD, my DS (10mths) was born at ERI. Happy to share experience but don't know what VBAC means! blush

stiefyloo Thu 20-Sep-07 23:20:56

Have just had a guess - is is vaginal birth after caesarian? hmm

Fingerbobs Fri 21-Sep-07 10:13:36

(yes, that's what VBAC is)
ShellD, there's a midwife at ERI whose title is something like 'midwife in charge of normal births' - I'm afraid I've completely forgotten her name, but her job is essentially to try to help women to have the kind of birth they'd like, particularly those women who've not had what they wanted the first time around or for VBACers. I think her name might be Janet or Joanna Craig? But if you ring up and ask for her, you should be able to talk to her and she will help you to plan what you want, including minimal monitoring.
I haven't experienced this myself but we were talking about it at my ante-natal group the other week - the suggestion was that if you've involved her it will definitely help in terms of interacting with whoever your midwife is on the day/night of birth.
Hope that's some help, if a little vague...

ShellD Fri 21-Sep-07 19:30:41

Thank you for the advice Fingerbobs - I will call them next week

Jennysbean Mon 24-Sep-07 20:03:02

Hi - I am new to mumsnet so hello! I am 22 weeks pregnant with my first child. I am interested in hearing about birth experiences in general at the ERI, has anyone had experience of the water pool for labour? I am hoping to go and have a tour but not sure how to go about organising that.
Any advice welcome

MsPea Mon 24-Sep-07 20:13:51

Hello

DD (13mo) was born at ERI.

I have always felt that I had a very good experience. I felt that both DD and I were as safe as possible which was paramount for me.

Once on the ward there is a very pro-bf atmos which I found brilliant. No matter how many times I asked for help they were more than happy.

However it was a pretty 'medicalised' environment... By the time I got there I was in transition so I was kind of pleased to be somewhere so obviously designed for labour. But DP felt that the midwives in the labour suite didn't keep him adequately informed.

I didn't have or ask for a pool but let me know if I can answer any other specific questions. I have an idea that they don't do tours but I could be wrong.

HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now