Talk

Advanced search

Regular painless contractions...?

(6 Posts)
ballyboy Tue 19-May-20 22:00:58

Please please go to the hospital. I am a midwife and I've never ever thought of anyone as a nuisance. At best you go in and it is nothing, the midwife will be as relieved as you.

With your history, they may give steroids and the longer they have to work the better. Also it gives time to give other medications to help protect the baby.

Best of luck xxx

Mo81 Tue 19-May-20 20:33:39

Always worth getting checked hun its there job im a nurse and would always rather someone come and get checked they wont mind.as pp said you may need steroid injections . Good luck with everything take care.

allthesharks Tue 19-May-20 19:20:58

Thank you both for your replies. I went to sleep and didn't wake up in pain. Contractions have continued throughout the day but not increasing in frequency or intensity. I'm anxious that they're going to become "real" contractions at some point but for now at least I don't think they are. But then I second guess myself. With DD2 I had 5 days of this before I went in to proper labour. But with DD1 I went from nothing to frequent, regular, intense contractions. What I don't want is to keep going to the hospital when it's not necessary as then I'll feel like a nuisance and might not want to make a nuisance of myself when its the real thing. But what if this is the real thing? I wish there was some definitive way of knowing without causing a fuss.

OP’s posts: |
ballyboy Tue 19-May-20 09:46:13

I would go in to be checked out. With your history, it's likely this baby will come early too. They might give you steroid injection as a precaution.

Best of luck, I hope things settle x

Mo81 Tue 19-May-20 09:29:12

I have a history of very quick labours and was always told at the slightest sign get seen. If you was to be in labour then you need to be somewere they have the skills to look after a preemie so i would certainly get checked. At the cery least it will put your mind at rest.
Good luck xx

allthesharks Tue 19-May-20 02:19:47

I'm 28+5, DD1 was born at 28 weeks and DD2 at 33 weeks. I've been having regular painless contractions all evening. I've got a bit of an ache in my lower abdomen and back but nothing awful and the pain doesn't really seem to increase with the contractions. At 26 weeks I went in to hospital as I was having regular contractions which were more painful than this and everything was fine - cervix wasn't dilating, contractions eased after a couple of hours and obviously I wasn't in labour.

With my history I know I need to be more cautious, but I don't want to be overly cautious and go to hospital because of BH. Where I'm not in pain I don't think this is real labour, but equally the contractions are regular (about every 8/9 minutes) so they don't follow the usual "rules" of BH.

Am I best to try to sleep on the basis that I'll wake up if it gets painful?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in