Talk

Advanced search

Those with precipitous labour in first pregnancy, how long was your second labour?

(8 Posts)
morningglory Thu 13-Sep-07 10:28:58

I laboured for only 1 hour with my first pregnancy (didn't make it to the hospital I was booked into and had to swerve into first A&E with head already delivered), and am petrified about literally just dropping this next one on my kitchen floor with no preparation.

If your labour was classified as precipitous for your first pregnancy (less than 3 hours), how long did you labour with your next one?

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 11:42:11

i can offer you some info, from a couple of women i know.. both were induced at 38 weeks with subsequent pregnancies, as history of preciptious labour. once labour started, again, very quick, but they were in hospital already.

you could always go for a home birth and call MW at the first twinge

morningglory Thu 13-Sep-07 18:18:52

I'm not keen on home birth, but am having father come (he's a retired OB) 2 week prior to due date...just in case. Not sure about being induced, as actually didn't mind a fast labour in terms of pain (no pain!), and am scared that would take a while for induction to kick in, so would need meds.

Can't make up my mind, and NHS isn't offering me any advice.

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 18:52:32

often when births are incredibly quick, they are incredibly straightforward

what is it about home birth that puts you off

BTW, if you go into labour, and your dad is there, he cannot deliver the baby AFAIK, it is illegal for anyone to act as a midwife... best thing to do is call 999, and if he has to catch the baby, then he can.. but make sure you contact the hospital and / or ambulance first !!

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 18:52:33

often when births are incredibly quick, they are incredibly straightforward

what is it about home birth that puts you off

BTW, if you go into labour, and your dad is there, he cannot deliver the baby AFAIK, it is illegal for anyone to act as a midwife... best thing to do is call 999, and if he has to catch the baby, then he can.. but make sure you contact the hospital and / or ambulance first !!

leesmum Mon 17-Sep-07 08:19:57

Morningglory i only had about 1 1/2 hrs of labour with my first too, Although i did make it to hospital.

I was also 5 weeks early and i know this time round its going to be hard not to get worried at 35 weeks, i dont want to spend a month waiting for my waters to go...

I've not seen you on feb thread for a while, pop in and see everyone xx

Hel1982 Tue 16-May-17 06:48:15

Where did you get the understanding that a precipitate labour is low risk? It maybe so for some people but not most. The prevailing opinion is that the risks to mother and baby are far higher in a precipitate labour. Rates of PPH, extreme tearing and retained placenta are greater which is why they say 'the shorter your labour the longer your recovery'. People who have had precipitate labour previously can't afford to have a flippant view being adopted to their subsequent pregnancies.

P1nkP0ppy Tue 16-May-17 06:55:08

1hr 10 for DD, 23 minutes for DS, thankfully I was already in hospital for both because waters had broken.
Not good because DS was in shock when he was born and I still have back problems years later as a direct result of a posterior birth with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now