Talk

Advanced search

Weird thing happened to me - anyone know what it's called??

(16 Posts)
oysterpots Wed 12-Sep-07 20:05:53

DS is 7 weeks old now, and although the birth itself was straightforward and good in every sense a very strange thing happened just after my waters broke. Basically I felt something coming out of me which turned out to be the amniotic sac bulging out - about the size of a grapefruit, and not dissimilar to a white/clear haggis!

Obviously we went straight to hospital where I asked them how common it was - honestly, I'd read every pregnancy book going and had never heard of it. Midwives said it wasn't that common...

I'm just interested to read up a little more about it but I don't know what the official term for it is. Any health professionals out there who can enlighten me? Thanks

reikizen Wed 12-Sep-07 20:08:45

bit confused, do you mean the amniotic sac was bulging but not ruptured? Did it rupture before you got to hospital? More info!

maxbear Wed 12-Sep-07 20:58:18

yes fairly common especially towards the end of labour. Not that common if you weren't in labour at the time though.

oysterpots Wed 12-Sep-07 21:05:55

reikizen - I don't fully understand it myself! As far as I know, my waters broke (perhaps only hindwaters?) closely followed by the emergence of the amniotic sac (still full of water though). We had a high speed journey to hospital with me perched on the edge of the seat trying not to pop it. Midwives popped it with that crochet hook type instrument when we got to hospital.

maxbear - 2 hours later I was 9cm dilated so I guess it was towards the end. Do you know whether there is a name for it?

LordVenger Wed 12-Sep-07 21:07:31

It used to be called being born "in caul", and supposedly meant you'd never drown

lulumama Wed 12-Sep-07 21:08:53

if your forewaters had broken, i don;t think the sac could have been bulging out, as it would have ruptured

you might have been quite dilated , and the sac bulged through

amazing it didn;t rupture

sometimes the sac stays intact, and the baby is born in it ( born in the caul, used to be considered very lucky , and sailors would buy it as it meant you would not drown at sea..i think it is safe to say that is a very old wives; tale!! )

lulumama Wed 12-Sep-07 21:09:13

x post with lordvenger

barbamama Fri 14-Sep-07 16:53:40

What's this fore vs hind waters thing? At my birth a couple of weeks ago as far as I knew waters went at 7pm - (loaads, went everywhere) but at the labour early the next morning I remember the mw saying something about my waters hadn't actually gone and it might have just been the hind waters. How can the bit at the back go without the bit at th efront going first?

McDreamy Fri 14-Sep-07 16:59:27

My friend gave birth to her daughter without her waters breaking, she said it was much easier

lisad123 Fri 14-Sep-07 17:15:01

I was born with the sac still around my head blush, so know what you meant right away {grin]
You must have a strong sac lining.
l

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Fri 14-Sep-07 17:26:03

my ds was nearly born in the waters, it broke while i was pushing him out! much easier than dds labour!

Gizmo Fri 14-Sep-07 17:29:30

I think, Barbramummy, the theory is that if your waters go late, when the baby's head is very descended, the head can act as a sort of plug in the cervix and stop quite a lot of the 'hind' waters coming through.

Doodledootoo Fri 14-Sep-07 17:30:22

Message withdrawn

lisad123 Sat 15-Sep-07 20:50:37

Im a lucky sod too grin

southeatsastras Sat 15-Sep-07 20:52:46

babies born with a caul are meant to make good sailors.

lisad123 Sat 15-Sep-07 21:03:20

maybe i should consider a new carer path grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now