(7 Posts)
Mk96 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:02:27

Hello
I need insight please. So here are the facts:
-I gave birth on 19th November
-natural vaginal delivery
-I'm exclusively breastfeeding and have been since day 1
- I got my first period after giving birth on feb 14th
- now haven't had this months period yet.
-been using protection
-before pregnancy I've had fairly
-I had an early detection pregnancy test yesterday which came out negative (I tested in the afternoon since I tested after my period expected date)

So is this normal?! I'm around a week late ! And I'm starting to worry. I will redo a pregnancy test in 2 days but to all the moms or doctors out there, what happens to breastfeeding women's periods and am I right to be worried? Help!

OP’s posts: |
Mk96 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:03:33

*fairly regular periods

OP’s posts: |
BendingSpoons Sat 21-Mar-20 07:16:51

It is most likely the EBF causing irregular periods. 3 months is on the early side for periods returning. Obviously keep any eye on it but extremely unlikely you are pregnant in that scenario.

Immaback Mon 23-Mar-20 15:39:23

I would say it’s unlikely , I Ebf both babies and periods took a few months to regulate. Was a week late a few times. Test again in a few days !

WildCherryBlossom Mon 23-Mar-20 18:26:34

I never got a period until one month after I completely stopped breastfeeding (even though towards the end I was down to one feed in 24 hours with each baby).

Your last one could have been lochia rather than a period.

DonPablo Mon 23-Mar-20 18:30:15

Eeeek. I EBF twice. Normal and regular periods a month after giving birth both times. And clockwork every month.

You need to test again

AppropriateAdult Mon 23-Mar-20 18:33:55

This sounds very normal. Three months is very early to get your cycle back if you're exclusively breastfeeding, it may not have been a 'normal' period. I've breastfed for extended periods with both my kids and when my periods did restart (much later than yours in both cases) it took several months for them to settle into a regular 28-day pattern again.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in