Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

If you have a planned CSection, do you have to have your bloods checked?

(17 Posts)
Nbg Sun 09-Sep-07 20:32:25

So far I have refused all blood tests because I have an awful phobia of them and anything medical really. As a result of this I have all my ante natal appts at home and I am hoping for a home birth.

However I'm now 28 weeks, baby is breech and although theres plenty of time for baby to move, I want to mentally prepare myself for the worst case scenario.

My MW has said I will need to see a consultant at 36 weeks to determine babys position. So if I go and he is breech still, what will happen? Will they be draining every last drop from me or wont they have to take my bloods at all. They know my blood group from my last bloods in my previous pregnancy so I cant see any reason for them to take anymore.

Or am I being silly?
sad

startouchedtrinity Sun 09-Sep-07 20:37:30

They did mine. But then I have had three babies and have needed so many bloods that the phobia has worn off!

FWIW I hate the thought of surgery, needles and all the rest but have found my two planned sections a breeze.

What about hypnotherapy?

Nbg Sun 09-Sep-07 20:40:48

Well this is my 3rd and although I have never really likes having my bloods done, it only became really bad in my last pg.

I have thought about Hypnotherapy but cant really afford it.

What do they need to take bloods for?

pistachio Sun 09-Sep-07 20:43:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

startouchedtrinity Sun 09-Sep-07 20:57:30

Definitely wanted my iron levels. Also they do re-check your blood group each tim ein case you need a transfusion and there has been a mistake on your records, or so I have been told.

It may be possible to get some hypnotherapy or similar via your GP, worth asking anyway. What helped me was getting my bloods done at the hospital, I have really tricky veins but the phlebotomists there see so many they got my blood fine. Now I can let any nurse or doctor take my blood w/out getting in a state and b/c I'm not so uptight it's easier and doesn't hurt.

NAB3 Sun 09-Sep-07 20:58:04

They do need to take blood, other than that I am not sure.

Alfie72 Sun 09-Sep-07 23:36:11

They'll only take blood the day before/ day of your C section if you need to have it.

I too am a bit needle phobic but I really would recommend you try and get your bloods checked as your blood sugar and iron levels need keeping an eye on - particularly in the third trimester and if you need a section- you'll need to get your blood cross matched in case you need a transfusion. Hypnotherapy or cognitive behaviour therapy may be a good idea if you really cannot face getting your bloods done.

Gingerbear Sun 09-Sep-07 23:40:15

I had a low platelet count and low iron levels - if your platelets are low it can mean that you need a general instead of an epdural for a CS. I was anaemic after my section and they wouldn't relaease me until my platelet level waas back to normal.
Eat shit loads of apricots and take floradix/ spatone until 40 weeks PG.

Nbg Mon 10-Sep-07 11:01:20

What do the apricots do GB?
I do take Spatone on and off so maybe I should have it religiously now. My mw said she was going to see if I could have it on prescription.

I'm still trying to stay positive though and hoping baby will move so all this can be avoided grin

Alfie72 Mon 10-Sep-07 11:27:25

Make sure you keep up with the iron rich foods for sure but I'd chat to your M/w or GP about taking supplements.
I think the general advice I got from m/w is not to take additional supplements unless you need it.

I guess you'd only know if your levels are low if you got your blood checked.

Maybe look out for symptoms that you are iron deficient such as:
Dizziness
shortness of breath
excessive tiredness
paleness to skin and eyelids
dark circles under the eyes

BlueberryPancake Mon 10-Sep-07 12:53:50

you shoulsn't take iron supplements unless you have been diagnosed properly as iron can accumulate in the liver and cause problems later on. But you can eat more greens that contain iron, spinach, cale (don't know how to spell this!), dried apricots, red meat.

Is this your first pregnancy/baby? I think that like others havementionned, it would be a good idea to get some help from the NHS for your phobia or go privately. Not only for the birth, but also long term, for your child. He/she might have to go to hospital in the future and it's important that you can manage your fears.

I say that because my mum had (still has) a big phobia of anything medical. She never took us to the dentist and as a result my sisters and I have lots of problems with our teeth. I fell many times as a child and she never took us to hospital, and I have a number of scars including one on my face which would have been much better if I'd have had stiches. But she was too scared of blood/needles/hospital to take us there.

Best of luck, I really feel for you!

BP

Nbg Mon 10-Sep-07 13:41:05

No this is my 3rd baby.

I think if my children needed me to go to hospital then I would just do it because they would need me to.
Although dh is having to take them for their jabs this week because I dont want to grin

blueshoes Mon 10-Sep-07 14:06:41

nbg, I remember the hospital taking blood for my elective - I hate it too - really dread a blood test when it comes up, but can still just about go through it (2 children). My bp goes through the roof - something I take care to mention at the antenatal check. I always look away.

I try to arrange the blood test with a phlebotomist, if possible. They are the experts ...

If you go for a cs, you should also remember that they will have to put a line/catheter into the back of your hand just before the procedure. That is also not great.

startouchedtrinity Mon 10-Sep-07 20:23:00

Funnily enough I was terrified about the needle in the bacl of the hand, but mine didn't hurt - a good anaethsetist (sorry, spelt wrong but too knackered to fix it) won't hurt. I felt nothing.

alicet Thu 13-Sep-07 14:14:46

Yes for a planned section you will need your bloods checking because

- you need to make sure your blood is clotting normally so they can put a spinal anaesthetic in safely (if you bleed from this it can press on your spinal cord which is an emergency)

- you need to make sure you are not anaemic as they would have a lower threshold to give you blood if you bled more than average

- they need to know your blood group in case you need a transfusion. And more than this they need a sample of blood to cross match if you need a transfusion - this takes into account rarer variations with your blood and how it would interact with the blood they would transfuse you - sometimes you have unusual antibodies which means even blood of the same type is not compatable with yours.

You can ask thenm to put emla cream on the area they plan to take the blood from which is a local anaesthetic cream and needs about an hour to work. then you shouldn't feel the needle going in

NoNameToday Thu 13-Sep-07 14:45:53

Just to add to all the other good information, a woman who is anaemic does not withstand blood loss as well as one who isn't.

Therfore it is important to diagnose anaemia in a labouring/delivering woman

ebaldy Thu 13-Sep-07 14:52:36

Hi just thought I would offer some other advice, why don't you do all you can to get the baby to turn then you hopefully won't need a cs. Our anetenantal teacher got one of my friends baby to turn by every day for the last 6 weeks spending time on all fours it may be worth a try!
If not and you need a cs I think you will have to overcome your phobia as you have lots of needles and bloods taken with cs I know I have had two now.
Hope all goes well either way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: