Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
This is a Premium feature
General Anaesthetic C Sec advice needed(7 Posts)
Due to having some spinal issues (scoliosis and chiari malformation) I will be having a csec and have been waiting to hear whether it can be a spinal block or GA. I prefer to be awake but of course it has to be what ever is the safest option. Any one here had GA Csec before? Or planning to for this birth?
Any info/guidance/reassurance would be so helpful.
I was told by the consultant today that they feel it is likely it will be a GA and feeling pretty devastated about it. They hadn't gone over my notes prior to appointment today and now they need to consult with neurosurgeon to make final decision. Csec is booked for 31st so really soon.
Thanks for reading x
My anaesthetist friend has a Chiari malformation (repaired) and had GA CS for both her babies as she and the team felt it safest. It's decided on a case-by-case basis though, so wait to see what your surgeon suggests. Have you seen an obstetric anaesthetist?
Thanks for your reply. I had a phone consultation with them today but they hadn't accessed any of my history or looked at my scans so couldn't really advise. Current plan in place is GA if I go in to labour before CSec date. In meantime they will consult with a neurosurgeon to decide best option and then update. They seemed to think likely GA.
Hi I had a spinal and epidural with my chiari but it's fairly mild and I'm guessing your scoliosis will add to that
Please don't worry about a GA, I love a GA
It might not be your ideal birth but so few of them are
Good luck 😊
@MozzchopsThirty thanks for your reply! It's really helpful to be reminded that birth plans don't usually go to plan and most important is safe baby/mum at end. You are right!
I just need to get used to this plan I think. Thanks again
No problem come back and tell us how it goes
I had a spinal anaesthetic for my CS (7 months ago)) as I have a chiari malformation (that has been repaired) and a spinal syrinx. My anaesthetist was on the edge about doing a general anaesthetic. They know what's safest, but I understand the worry as I was concerned about having a GA. The whole process is super quick either way, so you'd be out with your baby before you know it! Good luck, such an exciting time!!
Please login first.