Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How many women tear or have episiotomy?

(17 Posts)
Holymoly321 Tue 04-Sep-07 13:48:11

Am 29 wks preg with No2 - No1 was elective section due to being breech. Am thinking of having a VBAC but terrified of tearing or being cut. Just wondered what the stats were and if I'm being panicky for no reason.

themoon66 Tue 04-Sep-07 13:50:00

Tear with my first. Never felt a thing and didn't even realise I'd torn until about half an hour later when someone came to stitch me up.

Paranoid1stTimer Tue 04-Sep-07 19:24:15

Not sure about this one but most women I know have had a small tear but nothing to worry about. I saw this link on another thread about massaging your perineum?!?!?
I can't recommend this or not as this is my 1st pregnancy but I think I'll give it a go - anything to avoid tearing/episiotomy...

www.naturalchildbirth.co.uk/perineal.shtml

No harm in having a read at the page to see what you think... Sounds a bit "minging" shock

berolina Tue 04-Sep-07 19:27:09

If it helps, my experience of episiotomy was not negative at all. It was painless as I was under epidural, and it healed incredibly well. Wasn't all that painful afterwards either - I was in mild discomfort for a few days and then fine. Since the birth I am slightly more 'windy' than before blush, but that's been it in terms of long-term effects.

babybore Tue 04-Sep-07 19:37:21

2nd degree tear with me but I'd had an epidural and didn't feel a thing. Didn't have any problems after being stitched up with going to the loo etc.

Tatties Tue 04-Sep-07 19:38:32

I had a second degree tear, and like themoon66 I didn't feel it happening and didn't realise until the midwife told me. It healed fine. I think trying to do pelvic floor exercises as soon after the birth as you can helps with blood circulation and healing. I had a go at perineal massage when I was pregnant but found it really unpleasant.

softmusk Tue 04-Sep-07 20:12:30

i wa cut with first dd nd tear with second didnt feel a thnk with either one

lulumama Tue 04-Sep-07 20:15:24

have a read if this thread

with a c.s, you know you are going to be cut, across your abdomen, whereas with a VB, you could well avoid tearing or cutting

there are things you can do to prepare

eg perineal massage

or give birth in water, or on all fours that can minimise risk of tearing

also, not all tears need stitching, and not all women tear...

SuperMonkey Tue 04-Sep-07 20:20:56

I had an episiotomy - I wasn't on any pain relief so they gave me a local anaesthetic. Didn't feel a thing, gas and air for the stitches, all healed fine.

I was glad I had it done as it made the birth almost instantaneous afterwards. Pain gone smile.

Idreamofchocolate Tue 04-Sep-07 20:26:46

Concur with all the other comments - tore with DD1 and had no idea whatsoever it was happening. In fact giving birth to DD2 was more painful as she emerged v e r y slowly - didn't tear, but involved more pain. Go figure!

Don't worry about it is my advice, que sera sera and all that. Being stitched up is undignified, but you are given local anaesthetic, so you don't really feel it. I got back to normal at the same rate following both my deliveries, so the tear/stiches didn't seem to factor in. And rather stiches in my fanjo than my stomach any day!

3sEnough Tue 04-Sep-07 20:27:02

Hi - episiotomy with 1st, tore with 2nd and 3rd. Each one was worth it (but it did sting a touch!!) You'll be fine - don't panic.

P.S. This won't help but in my prep for childbirth classes the experts said that 30% of us would have a minor intervention. We worked out that in reality 90% of us had interventions and between us we had every intervention/post birth delight going. Being prepared is great but quite frankly there's not a darn thing you can do about it anyway. Just relax and enjoy being pregnant.

Emzy5 Tue 04-Sep-07 20:27:55

i had a second degree tear and i didn't feel it at all. i had pethedine...

LOVABUMP Tue 04-Sep-07 22:27:51

I had episiotomy and tore to my anus, Docs worried that I would lose bowel control (I didn't thankfully)! Amazingly I have yet to feel a thing, as soon as my DS born all pain gone, and no scarring either, don't worry it will all be fine.

Jackstini Tue 04-Sep-07 22:31:45

MW at our antenatal classes was asked this & said approx 50% - so you have just as much chance of it not happening!
Sounds from the posts that most of the time it is not too much hassle if it does happen.
There are quite a few VBAC threads if you want some fuller stories Smiling

burstingbug Tue 04-Sep-07 22:41:55

DS1 - episiotomy, hurt a bit, think I was given a local anaesthetic. Healed pretty quick.
DS2 - 2nd degree tear, tore upwards as well as down hurt like hell when it happened as I had no pain relief. Had to wee in the bath for days after which still stung! Healing took longer and was obviously more painful.

cinnamongreyhound Wed 05-Sep-07 08:31:42

Would recommend perineal massage, it isn't particularly pleasant but I had a tiny tear that needed no stitches with an 8lb 12oz baby.

I wanted a natural labour with as little intervention as possible and ended up being induced with a syntocinon drip and epidural and delivering on my back with my legs in stirrups, none of which I wanted but I still had a positive experience and have a lovely baby.

I think that's the difference between and elective c-section and vaginal delivery, the uncertainty. I made my choices all the way along although they were directed by the midwives.

My neighbour had a c-section 4 weeks before I had my son and she took a lot more pain killers and had a much slower recovery than I did, so think about that side of it. You won't be having major abdominal surgery.

Baffy Wed 05-Sep-07 08:39:35

I had quite a bad tear,

But like themoon66 didn't even realise until they told me!

Had to go to theatre for stitches (3rd degree tear) and it really wasn't that bad. Healed very quickly. No after effects. And would 100% choose that option over a c-section any day.

Best of luck. You really don't need to panic though. Some great advice here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now