Talk

Advanced search

I only had a small (no stitches) tear - but can there still be damage between vagina and anus?

(5 Posts)
CanAnyoneAdvise Tue 04-Sep-07 13:13:30

Sorry about the over gory title. I'm hoping some of you wise people can help.

The story is:
- I had a baby 8 weeks ago. Delivery was pretty quick and I had a small perineal tear - no stitches. I have felt fine and fully recovered since the birth.
- Since the birth, but especially in the last few weeks, I have noticed that when I pass wind (how ladylike!) it can find its way to my vagina. As in... I pass wind, stand up and am still passing wind from the wrong hole.
- I have also noticed a couple of times that I have discharge that is a bit brown in colour. It's not obviously poo, but isn't like any discharge I've ever seen. I stopped bleeding ages ago. It is gross.

So I guess I am hoping that there is an innocuous reason.. ie... my pelvic floor is now worth nothing. Or that it's just a random occurance that I have brownish discharge. Is it possible to have a small tear that allows wind/poo to emerge? If so, what can I do??? [really hoping it's not this emoticon]

Does anyone have any advice or experience to share? Many many thanks in advance. I have to say despite losing all reserves in childbirth, I am feeling pretty embarrassed and mortified about this one...

papilion Tue 04-Sep-07 13:42:28

Hello CanAnyoneAdvise

Were these signs apparent when you had your 6 week post natal check? Did you mention them to the doctor?

Think you may be describing a fistula but it really needs a professional opinion.

Wind!! from the vagina.... embarrassing, but not unknown.

Faeces from vagina!!!!!!! definitely needs addressing.

Olihan Tue 04-Sep-07 13:50:19

How often are you getting the brown discharge? Is it just streaky on your knickers or more than that? I'm just wondering if it is still a bit of Lochia, mine carried on in tiny dribs and drabs for quite a while after the initial loss stopped.

I also do fanny farts grin the way you describe, especially if I'm sitting down when I break wind. TBH, I've put it down to everything being, ahem, looser down there so it gets a bit trapped, rather than anything more sinister.

CanAnyoneAdvise Tue 04-Sep-07 14:02:15

Thanks for your replies!

Discharge is just streaky and not every day.

I will mention to my . For some reason it didn't crop up at my 6 week check - it's only the past couple of weeks that the fanny farts grin have been on my mind, and I hadn't had the discharge at all. I have, however, re-started my pelvic floor exercises... so wonder if that might bring on a bit of lochia? Hm.

Thanks again!

4jen Tue 04-Sep-07 14:18:27

Have to agree with Paplilion. Get it checked, just in case it is a fistula. They can heal on their own if very small but it's best to get a professional opinion (referral to colorectal surgeon).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now