Advanced search

Post 42 weeks stories and stats please!

(13 Posts)
Loopymumsy Sun 02-Sep-07 13:58:25

Message withdrawn

Klaw Sun 02-Sep-07 14:21:35

Loopy,

www.homebirth.org.uk/overdue.htm

You can also ask for expectant management and just wait rather than plan induction. I did a lot of research into induction as my VBAC ended up at 42+1 (scan) edd.

Hopefully dd3 will not keep you waiting and, like you say, try not to worry about it as it kind of becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy.

HTH

foxybrown Sun 02-Sep-07 14:30:05

FWIW, I just had DC4 at 41+6. The hospital told me that I had no choice but to forego my homebirth if things didnt go naturally and be induced at 42 weeks. like you, i was stressed out by it.

I started a thread on here and was given lots of good advice and support, which gave me the courage to ask for more time. <hello Klaw!> I went to see my MW and we agreed to a couple more days, and we compromised on being delivered in a side-room. As soon as we agreed a solution I immediately felt better and lo was born that day.

Good luck with yours.

aikigypsy Sun 02-Sep-07 16:56:33

Klaw --
Great links in that article. Thanks!

Klaw Sun 02-Sep-07 17:39:51

You're welcome, Aikigypsy! smile

NineUnlikelyTales Sun 02-Sep-07 18:38:55

I had DS at 42+6. Like you I had been dreading induction and refused it, although I was never planning a homebirth.

The consultant I saw was very reasonable (though it wouldn't have changed my mind if he hadn't been). He said that the risk of stillbirth rises from 1:1000 at 40 weeks to 1:500 at 42 weeks. But when I asked him what the rate was for babies born by induction he wasn't able to tell me! I though that 1:500 was a reasonable risk but everyone feels differently.

FWIW DS was born after a blooming awful labour with apgar score of 10. He wasn't at all 'overcooked' and obviously just needed the extra time to be ready.

Good lucksmile

3madboys Sun 02-Sep-07 18:51:46

my last two babies were 16 and 17 days 'late' although i dont think they were late at all.

i was induced with my first baby and it was a nightmare that nearly ended in a c section, so i refused for the next two, had a bit of a battle with a consultant but had a bit of extra monitering and a scan that showed everything was fine

eventually my waters broke and ds2 was born 7 hours later, ds3 same thing waters broke and then he was born three hours later, both good births unlike my first induction.

i am pregnant again, baby due 29th feb, i imagine it will turn up sometime after the 15th march, have already seen a consultant, who looked through my notes and agreed i have healthy good sized babies and is in my programing that my pregnancies last longer than average (my mum was the same) she said once i get to 14days over i can have monitering and a scan to check baby is ok, but she doesnt think there will be any problems

incidentally both of the boys were born with some vernix still on them, they did not look at all overdue, no peely skin etc and whe they looked at my placenta the midwife said it was in 'tip top' condition, not looking old or showing signs of ageing at all.

the only annoying thing i found is the constant "havent you had it yet" etc and even being told i was being "inconvenient" for not going into labour, by relatives that wanted to go on holiday, but were waiting for the baby to be born.

this time i havent told them the due date, i have just said the middle of march

3madboys Sun 02-Sep-07 18:52:30

oh there is a website called ten month mamas? or something, that i looked at ages ago and found quite useful, i will try and find a link

Klaw Sun 02-Sep-07 19:12:59

3madboys, Leilah McCracken, the webmistress of 10 Month Mamas had to close her site due to family issues and I have tried very hard to find info like the stuff she posted. I've even tried to find her, am still looking....

Gloria Lemay found some info in archives of a forum when I asked her about this and so I posted it up on my website (see my profile) so that it is not lost. There is a bit of a scare about sugar but I feel that if women are sensible about their dates, are in tune with their bodies and possibly have history of long gestations then opting for Expectant Management and waiting seems very logical to me.

I won't link to my site as i don't want to be accused of flouting rules but just wanted you to know that some of Leilah's info has been saved for the benefit of others.

lulumama Sun 02-Sep-07 19:16:22

you can mention your site, i mention mine if neccesary if doing doula talk

also, have you seen the thank you thread for you in 'childbirth'

and also , on DUK, there are a couple of doulas who have gone to 42 + or 43 weeks ...

it is not perhaps that common, mostly beacsue , i would think, most women would agree / ask to be induced at 41 or 42 weeks, rather than go on further..

Loopymumsy Sun 02-Sep-07 20:03:17

Message withdrawn

Klaw Sun 02-Sep-07 20:55:25

my Ten Month Mama page

No, Lulu, I haven't, have been busy with emailing various volunteers to debrief my VBA3C lady's birth. so is there a thread specially fo r me? blush

Oh my....

Loopymumsy Mon 03-Sep-07 19:32:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now