Advanced search

Would you have a coil at same time as c section ?

(11 Posts)
sickandtiredofsick Wed 22-Jan-20 09:02:35

This has been offered to me (at my booking appt so they are thinking ahead!)

But I’m not sure ...I’ve had infections with previous c sections so seems a bad idea amd I wouldn’t be doing anything till after 6 weeks anyway so would be no chance of pregnancy so I think better to get it done at 6 w check?

Is this just a standard thing they offer now ?

OP’s posts: |
Sicario Wed 22-Jan-20 09:04:50

No. Your uterus will have been through quite enough trauma and the last think you need is a foreign body in there during the healing process. Especially if you have any kind of post-op infection issues.

sickandtiredofsick Wed 22-Jan-20 09:08:43

That’s what was making me a bit concerned i just worry about any complications

OP’s posts: |
ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jan-20 09:11:05

I bled for 6 weeks after my first and quite heavily. I don't think I'd want another potential irritant slotted in there whilst postpartum. Perhaps discuss it at your 6 week check instead?

MrsTumbletap Wed 22-Jan-20 09:11:20

I wouldn't, I would be using the "get your hands off me I'm too knackered" form of contraception for at least a month.

Then condoms probably for another month, then get the coil back in.

redshoes2017 Wed 22-Jan-20 09:12:05

Absolutely not! Wait until your 6 week check. I've had 3 c sections and unfortunately have had infections with all of them .

sickandtiredofsick Wed 22-Jan-20 09:40:29

Yes this is what I think I was so surprised they said they’d be able to do it after the c section! I’ll def wait I just feel it’s not a risk worth taking

OP’s posts: |
itbemay1 Wed 22-Jan-20 12:44:05

I would. Get it over and done with, you normally bleed after coil insertion so I would just get it done with the post partum bleed. I think if there were any risks they wouldn't have offered it.

shutupsteph Wed 22-Jan-20 12:57:49

If medical professionals are offering it, it's definitely safe and shouldn't carry risk of extra infection or discomfort but it wouldn't hurt to ask for all the risks and potential added side effects.

I definitely would. I can't think of anything worse than healing after childbirth to then go and have another invasive thing done 6 weeks later. I'd get it all done at once.

sickandtiredofsick Wed 22-Jan-20 13:36:05

My gut feeling is to wait even if it does mean another appt I just know how ive been with infections before I feel like for the sake of 6 weeks I’d rather be recovering and not worrying about it as I think every twinge even though normal ill be paranoid !

OP’s posts: |
Babyg1995 Wed 22-Jan-20 13:39:50

Im getting the copper coil put in at the time of section it was an ordeal for me getting it in first time I would rather just get it done and not have to worry later if it was risky they wouldn't offer it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in