Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do you think this is a reasonable birth plan?

(20 Posts)
iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 16:54:16

OK ive never done one before and although i am only 9 weeks i have already decided what i want, but im just wondering if it would be the right thing to do!

I am having a homebirth and my main priority is gas and air and lots of it!!!

then after birth a little cuddle with little one feeding etc etc

then go for a lovely bath and have a cuppa and something to eat then bond with the baby!!

My main reason for this is that last hb i had ds was pushed onto me while i was covered in blood and i just felt dirty and uncomfortable, i was starving and i was so thirsty but even though i was in my own home i felt as tohugh i was under their control IYSWIM

Anyway my main point in asking is that i was speaking to family about it earlier and they have all said it could be harder for you to bond if you leave it, its best to do it immediatly.......

sorry to drag on and thanks for reading, any comments welcome grin

3madboys Thu 30-Aug-07 17:02:48

i hardly think that you taking half an hour to have a bath adn something to eat is going to make a diff to the bonding process, but if you wanted once you are fresh etc baby could come in the bath with you anyway

sounds fine by me, ifact similar to my brith plan

reikizen Thu 30-Aug-07 17:05:23

What tosh! As if you only get that chance to bond with the baby - you spend your life bonding with the baby! Anyway, what does 'bonding with the baby' mean FFS! Have a bath and a cuppa if that's what you want, I'm sure someone else will volunteer to cuddle the little one while you do! At my home birth I was sent for a shower while they changed the bed and DP cuddled the baby. We seem to be doing okay!smile

iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 17:10:54

oh good! im was a bit afraid that the midwives would be thinking huh doesnt seem very interested in the baby!!! but sod em my baby grin

foxybrown Thu 30-Aug-07 17:11:42

yep, another vote for a nice clean baby here too. lets finish the job, get cleaned up and compose ourselves. no point having a lovely cuddle then breaking it off to get sorted, you could probably argue that would affect the bonding process! wink

iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 17:15:06

and in my experience also, its impossible to sleep after birth with the adrenaline rushing through so i will have a good few hours of just being able to sit there staring at the little angel grin

I think it sounds great. Rememeber your dh can spend the time you're having a bath, cuppa bonding with baby. Maybe on a chair in the bathroom while you're having bath (if you want). You need your energy replenishing after giving birth so defintely have something to eat. Don't think m/ws will think its odd at all.

lulumama Thu 30-Aug-07 17:40:21

if you know you will find it harder to bond with a bloody, messy baby, then you are absolutely right to specify that you want to have a bath, refresh and then get to know your little one.....

tis absolutely none of anyone elses business how you choose to spend those minutes after birth, and its not up to the MWs

DH can hold baby, whilst you get yourself sorted, after all, he needs to bond too!

iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 18:00:18

its not so much the bloody messy baby its that sitting in my own blood makes me feel very uncomortable, i hate blood i hate periods but i always feel better after a bath grin

lulumama Thu 30-Aug-07 18:03:52

fair dos ! grin

lulumama Thu 30-Aug-07 18:04:18

i think i misread your OP!!!

am multitasking, you see

grin

MKG Thu 30-Aug-07 18:04:37

After ds2 was born I waited about 2 hours before I held him because I was a bit shocked at how fast everything went and needed time to get my mind around how I went in for a check up and ended up with a baby a few hours later.

Dh had a great time bonding with ds2 and I didn't want to give him up when I was ready to hold him.

MKG Thu 30-Aug-07 18:05:47

If taking a few minutes to compose yourself is what you need, go for it.

FussyGalore Thu 30-Aug-07 18:07:11

tell them youd like a quality bonding experience which will require you to have amoment or two to freshen up first.

jeez, if you cant do what you want/feel on your own birth-day, when can you??

iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 18:41:42

no problem lulumama i know what multi-tasking is like wink thankyou everyone for all your positive feedback, i thought maybe i was being a bit horrible for wanting to not cuddle my LO straight away!!! I feel alot better now grin I will be sure to drum it into dp head everyday for the next 7 months so he doesnt forget hehehehehe

WriggleJiggle Thu 30-Aug-07 21:13:22

Bonding with baby certainly doesn't just happen in the first 1/2 hour after birth. I found no problems bonding with dd even though straight after the birth I didn't want to hold her and she went straight to her dad.

I'm now hoping I get to hold d2 straight away this time, but who knows what may happen on the day?

iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 21:15:07

well this is it, and thats why ive never made a birth plan before, just gone with the flow! This time though i decided to hell with it im doing it how i want it to done grin

Pickie Thu 30-Aug-07 21:24:08

Have baby in the bath? I had mine both at home in our bath (no birthing pool). Ds came out lovely and clean, DH cut cord and trundled of with him while I had a shower as am the same, also needed some time to myself. If you consider having a waterbirth ask MW to run the bath whilst pushing (make sure you have enough warm water)so water is nice and warm plus fresh water dilutes...

DD came out with a lot more effort and was very very quick 2/3rd stage so she was all covered in blood and god knows what but I washed it off and DH came up the stairs by then and had some time with her whilst I had a shower

No bonding trouble with either of them

iliketosleep Thu 30-Aug-07 21:59:48

my midwife tried to talk me into a water birth at my booking appointment, but my only memory of water and labour is when i went for a bath during the early stages of labour with dd2. As soon as my bum hit the bottom of the bath i had the worst pain ive ever experienced in my life and she was born 2hours later!! But i was literally in bum touched bottom out! so that kinda scared me a little hmm

Pickie Thu 30-Aug-07 22:45:10

Ah I see, maybe try it again but just dont plan on it or sit on a rubber ring? I personally found the water a great form of pain relief, only downside was that you cant use the TENS machine(make sure you have extra patches as going in and out of the water might mean you need more then the set it comes with)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now