Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Elected C section after Emergency one(15 Posts)
@RainbowFlowers I couldn't find the inbox on the app so I've signed in on the webpage and sent you a private message. If you do the same you should see it x
I had a vbac after emcs which lead to spesis. There is no right or wrong thing to do and your concerns are valid. The consultant will talk you through the elcs v vbac risks- they have to do you can make an informed consent. At the end just say I understand but still want an elcs.
@strawberry2017 oh I didn't even know I had an inbox on here! The fb group sounds good thanks!
@BowiesJumper I literally can't imagine that my elective could be worse than emergency one. But yeah good to know that the actual procedure may take longer.
In my emergency c section I could feel them pulling at me, it felt like they were pulling all my insides out like a magician pulling out a string of sausages, lol! Apparently I was wriggling and moving my waist and they asked me if the pain relief was working I said I'm not in pain it just feels weird. They were going to knock me out then gave me gas and air which sorted me out as I was away with the fairies!
But it wasnt the op itself that was awful it was how sick I was after due to the infection which I think may have been sepsis.
I’ve just had an elective after having a emergency one last time. You’ll be booked in between 34-36wks for the op when you’re 39 wks.
Mine took longer because of the scar tissue from last time. It was more unpleasant than last time but no complications and recovery has been similar.
Thank you @RainbowFlowers and you as well. There is actually a private Facebook group I'm in for a bunch of women due in May you should join us. If I can work out how to private message on the app I'll send you the details!
Oh is it. Yeah I guess mine will be a week before too. Aw so you'll have your birthdays close together.
I hope all goes well with your birth.
That's my birthday! Good day to be born!
My actual due date is 14th May but I've been told it will be the week before most likely when I'll have him. X
Oh yes its definitely nice to have extra chance to see your baby? When are you due?
I'm due 22nd May.
I think they said it was to check positions and size but tbh I didn't really understand it coz they don't do they normally do they. But it's a way to see the baby again which I do like!
If I went in to labour I would still go ahead with the section, I think for me it's about the control that I didn't have last time and like you id be convinced that I would either need intervention of forceps or it would end in a section anyway.
They said it would only be before 39 weeks if there was a medical need.
Thanks Sassy. Yes I've read about the risk of injury due to scar tissue which makes me feel sick just to think about.
I wasn't sure if that's a risk for everyone who's had a c section. Or if it's to do with how you've healed.
I had elective after emergency. My emergency wasn't the reason I chose one, I just decided I wanted one, felt like the best choice for me. I could have tried vbac but due to scar tissue there was an increased risk of injury during vbac ending in emcs so didn't want to be in labour for hours and end up with one anyway.
Mine was booked for 40+2 as that was soonest slot available after 39 weeks. This was booked at 36 weeks. My waters broke the day before so I was told to go in and they did the section about 3 hours later as luckily it was a Sunday and no other bookings or emergencies. It was classed as semi emcs as I hadn't managed to take the pills they give you but all other prep was done as i had had the pre op on the Thursday. Was a great experience from start to finish, had it at 1.30pm and I was up walking about that night and recovered really well do your reasarch on both options and you will know which is right for you.
Thank you both.
If I went into labour I still don't fancy trying VBAC just because I feel (possibly irrationally) that there's an inevitability that it would end in c section anyway. So I'd just like to go for c section from the beginning. I know some of this is out of me just trying to take back some sort of control.
I also feel that if I am more with it when coming round from c section I will be able to communicate my needs better. As I feel like the infection was missed as I was too exhausted and sick to explain the pain I was in.
Also I don't think it's a good idea to get exhausted trying labour and then having c section as that just adds to potential risks to the c section as my body will be going into surgery drained.
Just writing all this out helps so much! I've got the app with the consultant next week.
Strawberry what's the reason you need all the scans for?...if you don't mind me asking.
(I'm not sure how to start a new paragraph I know this looks like a massive essay. When I write it I press enter so its spaced out but when I post it bunches it all back again.)
Similar to me, I explained to the consultant I would like a planned one, said it was the worst experience of my life and that it still bothers me now ( which is true) and they agreed a planned section.
I have to have a scan at 32 weeks and 36 weeks and at 36 weeks I'll be given a date that's in the 39th week for the section.
Yes it would be reason enough.
If you go into spontaneous labour you can go in for an EMCS, or try for a natural labour. Since most of your issues seem to stem from the failed induction, if you went into spontaneous labour you might want to try for a VBAC but wouldnt have to.
Depends on the hospital/trust, ask your midwife. My friends were booked in between 38 and 39 weeks I think.
I'm 21 weeks pregnant with second pregnancy and I'm pretty sure I would like an elected c section. My first birth was awful. My waters broke and I was induced 3 different ways some more than once. I wasn't progressing fast enough and 3 days after waters breaking I had an emergency c section as baby was distressed. Then I had 2 day of absolute agony as they didn't realise I was infected so didn't give me proper pain relief. Baby was also infected and in a different ward to me for a few days which broke my heart.
I want an elective c section to avoid getting infected again.
I have a few questions...
Do you think that is reason enough to get an elective c section?
What happens if I go into labour before the c section?
When do they book the section? And how many weeks and days do they actually book it for?
Please login first.