Talk

Advanced search

How can i tell between a show and waters?

(13 Posts)
EnormousChangesAtTheLastMinute Mon 27-Aug-07 12:40:55

hello. i am 39+1 and this morning i think i have either had a show or waters break. hard to tell as was wearing loose pjs but seemed to be streaked with brownish and a bit mucusy - but quite wet.

My question is can a show be wet or should it all be mucus?

i know if waters break i have 24 hours as this is what happened with dd so don't want to risk infection. nothing else happening at the mo but have put a pad in so i can moniter.

lljkk Mon 27-Aug-07 12:44:30

It could be both together, you know.

Waters have a distinctive smell (slightly sweet, I think).
Sounds to me like you've probably had only had a show.
I would phone NHS Direct for advice since you're worried.

NoBiggy Mon 27-Aug-07 12:47:53

When I had a show (which was rather thick and bloody btw) the waters followed a few minutes later. Could well be a bit of both.

Phone your mw or the hospital. Good chance they'd like a look at you I should think.

EnormousChangesAtTheLastMinute Mon 27-Aug-07 12:56:12

thanks. i think maybe show. no smell...
and nothing for last hour and a half or so.

i have to admit i'm a bit reluctant to ring hosp as experience tells me they'll ask me to go in and then if in doubt they'll treat it as waters breaking and induce me tomorrow. i so didn't want that to happen again. but i know they err on the side of caution for good reason.

thanks taking time to answer!

cookiesandcream Mon 27-Aug-07 12:59:16

In my case you couldn't lol!
I got it wrong and my "show" was actually my waters with miconium (or however you spell it in!) They neither trickled constantly nor gushed, just slime in my knickers and when I wiped - sorry if tmi grin

EnormousChangesAtTheLastMinute Mon 27-Aug-07 13:27:07

not tmi at all! thanks for info. so hard to tell with these things. i guess i'll ring hosp this aft if nothing else moves. or have a v hot curry tonight...!

Klaw Mon 27-Aug-07 13:28:44

You actually have 96 hours according to NICE guidelines, during which time you can monitor your temp and make sure you prevent infection by not allowing uneccessary VE etc. If it was a hindwaters break, and this means the forewaters being intact, you dont need to worry about infection so much.

Trust your instincts but if I were you I wouldn't be contacting or going anywhere near the hospital for now. Patience can be a virtue if you want to avoid induction but it helps to be in tune with your body and able to read the signals. If you can relax at home you are more likely to go into labour. But if you would be more relaxed at the hospital it follows that labour might start better there.

But maybe you are a Group B Strep carrier, in which case I would recommend you follow whatever research you've done on this and what you are comfortable with.

www.lifepassages.net/NaturalInduction.html

EnormousChangesAtTheLastMinute Mon 27-Aug-07 13:37:13

ah, that's good to know, thanks klaw. my instinct is to stay put i must admit. i haven't been tested for group b strep so that's an unknown.

i think i'll have a little nap while dd sleeps and see what's what in an hour or so...

EnormousChangesAtTheLastMinute Mon 27-Aug-07 13:42:05

and ta for website. will try relaxing first i think! wink

Klaw Mon 27-Aug-07 14:35:05

Brisk Walking (to shuggle baby down, down, down), sex and nipple stimulation.

My tips! Also Lulumama's wink

Nice soak in the shower, warm water hitting lower back, bliss!

Relaxation and keep your belly as a hammock for baby to encourage Optimal Positioning

another one of my favourite links is Early labour mistakes although I know it's not your first time wink

Best of luck!! Let me know how you get on!

EnormousChangesAtTheLastMinute Mon 27-Aug-07 15:25:40

sound like good tips to me! think i'll trott to shop for something nice to nibble... and take it from there. feeling teeny bit sick but baby wriggling - maybe trying to get down and out!?

Stroo Tue 28-Aug-07 23:08:02

My show looked rather like a creme brulee in my pants - standing proud and everything!!!

Totally different to Waters Breaking - just a gush!

blush

leo1978 Wed 29-Aug-07 09:14:31

Waters to me felt like warm soup - thicker consistency than I'd expected - I was out of my mind on drugs at the time though!
Show was like ectoplasm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now