Talk

Advanced search

Braxton Hicks or Labour?

(4 Posts)
Beardy91 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:49:25

Hi All,

I could just do with some thoughts really. I'm 38 weeks today and on Thursday night/Friday Morning started feeling quite nauseous, mild period type cramps every so often but nothing that made me stop in my tracks.

Then yesterday, I had been for a walk around town and had some lower back pain, on and off but again culminating in a radiating lower back pain which was worse when sitting/lying, nothing to worry too much about. Then around 11pm had sex with my husband and pretty much straight afterwards, had much more pressure in my pelvis and strong period type cramps, along with my bump tightening and feeling like I needed to go to the toilet. The pain was enough that I took 2 paracetamol, which i wouldn't normally. I was sure it was starting.

This was happening approximately every 20 minutes i think but they differed in length and intensity, getting less intense after the painkillers and bath.

I thought I might as well try and get some sleep as I was convinced this was it and so managed to get to sleep around 3am. So this was happening from 11-3 approximately. I have woken up a few times for the loo and have a slight crampy feeling now but nothing even close to before.

I think I have had Braxton Hicks before and it felt less like it was low down in my bump and more across the top, a sharp pain and then nothing and might just be the once. It didn't feel like that at the time.

What do you think this could be? I have been losing my plug in small bits, no show, no waters breaking.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
PresidentBartlett Sun 22-Dec-19 09:08:28

I think it could be a slow start to labour. I'd try and get some more sleep if you can and down load an app to time your tightenings.

Have you had any sort of bowel clear out? That is generally a good sign, my waters didn't go on any of mine until minutes before they were born.

Good luck I hope things move along for you quickly.

Beardy91 Sun 22-Dec-19 09:11:41

Thank you PresidentBartlett for the reply. I will try and get some more sleep just in case!

I did go to the toilet at the time that the intense tightening were going on.

OP’s posts: |
sarahc336 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:47:49

Sounds like the slow first stage of labour, mine started like this just very gradually increased over about 2 days then went into full labour. You'll know when it properly starts don't worry grin but all that sounds promising, good luck xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in