Talk

Advanced search

Elcs can you be sedated?

(9 Posts)
ameliathomas84 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:51:45

Just that really have elcs in 2/3 weeks find out date on Thursday! Have had two emcs previously last one was 11 years ago had very traumatic times both times for different reasons with first was put to sleep half way due to feeling got post op infection which ment I was in hospital 3 weeks! (Was only 19 years old and very scared) and haemorrhaged after second , basically I am terrified! I wondered if there is anything I could be given during the elective to calm me (not knock me out) but just calm my nerves , if anyone had had experience of this?

OP’s posts: |
Newmum2b78 Sat 16-Nov-19 11:28:33

I had an elcs 5 weeks ago. My first baby. I was terrified and I also suffer with anxiety, but I didn't need to worry. The staff were amazing, and I was so unbelievably calm. There was no rush, they all chatted the whole time and it was over so quickly. I would have another without a doubt.

I can only imagine that an elcs is much calmer than an emergency one but I've never experienced it.

I imagine they could give you something to keep you calm, but honestly it was a lovely experience. Your baby is with you within minutes xx

GrumpyHoonMain Sat 16-Nov-19 11:30:14

They can offer general anesthetic, you need to speak to your consultanr

ameliathomas84 Sat 16-Nov-19 12:34:06

Thanks for reply's I don't want a general as had that with first and suffered post natal depression I believe because everyone had seen and held my baby before me! However was emergency and no other option at the time, I want spinal but feel something just to calm me would help as I do suffer panic attacks only in medical situations! (Crazy as I'm a nurse I know) I believe it's too much knowledge that does it tbh!
I know this tome will be more calm and prepared but still have those worry's

GrumpyHoonMain Sat 16-Nov-19 13:13:33

In the case of anxiety the option is GA. I have anxiety and it was explained to me that if I was prone to panic attacks then if I had a C-Section I wouldn’t be allowed an Epidural or Spinal because it could potentially make them worse. But I am not on medication for my anxiety - if you are then you could possibly speak to an anethesist.

ameliathomas84 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:46:06

No I don't suffer with anxiety on a day to day basis it's literally just the fact of my bad experiences before and I wouldn't want GA at all as that wa one of my bad experiences, I know during the Swindon's section the anaesthetist gave me oxygen via mask as I was starting to panic but thought be something else could possibly have

annlee3817 Sun 17-Nov-19 18:05:05

Could you try hypnobirthing? I believe there are some CDs that are c section only. The techniques in hypnobirthing are good for anxiety and staying calm

Dinosauratemydaffodils Sun 17-Nov-19 18:10:27

The only option I was given was GA or a spinal when I was trying to figure out what was the best option for me with my 2nd section. I had a lot of anxiety given what happened with my first (hallunications, passing out, reliving previous trauma, thinking dc1 was a doll) and I asked about something for my nerves if I went for the spinal and was told no. My husband was there holding me for the spinal and that helped.

ameliathomas84 Sun 17-Nov-19 18:43:51

Thanks again for responses! As really in this day and age they can't give you something to calm nerves considering all drugs they pump you with in labour 😂😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in