Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Vbac vs elcs- having a wobble(10 Posts)
I'm 32 weeks at the moment and have been hearing up for a vbac since I found out I was pregnant. Felt very relaxed about it all along (been listening to my hypnobirthing tracks regularly) but now I'm having a panic and wondering if I should just opt for an elcs instead.
Dc1 was induced, labour was difficult and ended up with ventouse delivery and long recovery. Dc2 was an absolute dream, quick easy labour, sailed out on gas and air and I was able to walk back to the postnatal ward. Third labour was shaping up the same except at 8cm the baby inexplicably turned breech and I ended up with and emcs. Tbh, I had an ok recovery, managed on just paracetamol and diclifenac after the cs and was up and about straight away so it wasn't all that bad.
My main worry about the vbac is that I'll end up with an induction and another emcs. My hospital are fairly pro vbac, but they've told me that it's their policy to not let vbacs go past 40 weeks (I'm not in the UK) so I'll be induced then if I haven't gone naturally. Also, I've been suffering with terrible SPD, so I'm worried about how this will impact labour.
On the flip side, with an elcs I'll know exactly when it will happen, so more control in that sense, though the recovery will more than likely be longer. Also, I won't be able to drive for a few weeks so we'll have to juggle to make arrangements for doing the school run. And I'll be in hospital for the 5 obligatory days post section.
Argh! Part of me wishes that the baby moves into a breech/transverse position and takes the decision away from me!
Anyone else had a similar experience?
I know different places have different policies on these things but my doctor (private, UK) won’t induce me as I’ve previously had a c section. Might be something to factor in if you think it will be induction route for you.
I’m almost in the opposite position. C section booked after difficult first labour which ended up with EMCS after failed ventouse and forceps. Now not sure whether to try for a VBAC after all.
Can you elect to have a c section at 40 weeks if you haven’t delivered by then?
I had an elcs booked for 39 weeks and turned down induction at 38 weeks. I had a vbac at 38 weeks.
Yeah Lennie they said they won't use the gel for induction as it increases the risk of scar rupture but will use the drip as they deem it safe. I'm not keen on induction full stop though as there's a much higher chance of ending in emcs, which I want to avoid at all costs.
Self that's interesting, did they offer you induction at 38 weeks for medical reasons?
I was expecting a very large baby and was desperate to avoid another c section. The consultant offered induction at 38 weeks to give me a chance of labouring before my baby was potentially too big to be delivered vaginally. Consultant agreed with me that induction would not be a good idea due to limited induction options and that we would be trying to make a baby arrive who wasn’t ready.
Ah that's fair enough. Did you go into spontaneous labour then? Great that you avoid another cs 👍
Yes. Having doing everything under the sun to bring on labour
But you can just refuse consent for an induction if you don't want one? VBAC if you go into labour before 40 weeks, if it's after then refuse induction and have a planned C-section instead. They can't induce you without consent. Also - and this maybe an area thing - would you really be in for five days after a section?! I've had two in the past three years (both sort-of emergencies - elective booked then went into labour early) and I was only in two nights with both of them.
Ah! Just seen you're not UK, so maybe that's why you get five days.
Please login first.