Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy.... Who had one and why??

(33 Posts)
jofeb04 Sat 18-Aug-07 17:45:42

Hiya,

Just trying to do a bit of research really! I had an episiotomy of my ds and was told exactly why, but on my dd I never actually knew I had one until the doctor asked if I was ready for the stitches!

Read through my hosital notes, and it was obv why it was needed with my ds, but there were no reasons on my notes for my dd. When I asked my mw (at the time), she was unsure.

So, did you have an episiotomy...and do you know why??

Thanks

Pixiefish Sat 18-Aug-07 17:46:27

yes and yes

FrannyandZooey Sat 18-Aug-07 17:50:50

Yes I did

forceps delivery

Phraedd Sat 18-Aug-07 18:03:11

i had one with my first.

The midwives needed to get baby out fast so did the epis without anaesthetic

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 18:04:59

yes, for forceps and ventouse...lots of snipping !

MyTwopenceworth Sat 18-Aug-07 18:06:27

I had one with ds1. He was stuck fast. I guess they needed to create more room.

crokky Sat 18-Aug-07 18:06:29

I had one becaue my [tiny] baby would not come out no matter how hard I pushed!

MrsTittleMouse Sat 18-Aug-07 18:10:58

Yes, DD was face to pubis (lovely!) and stuck, so I had ventouse. Didn't ask my permission though.

footprints Sat 18-Aug-07 18:17:23

Yes, but that was in Portugal where women giving birth are pretty much cattle

DumbledoresGirl Sat 18-Aug-07 18:20:34

I had an episiotomy with ds1. It was obvious why. I was in second stage labour for ages and he was stuck (posterior position). I needed the episiotomy to make room for the forceps and the huge man who very kindly dragged ds1 from me (thank God!)

DumbledoresGirl Sat 18-Aug-07 18:22:18

Hmmmm that did not come out right! I don't want to suggest that a huge man crawled up my fanny to remove ds. Naturally he did it from outside me!

footprints Sat 18-Aug-07 18:23:50

Lovely image DumbledoresGirl

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 18:24:35

dumbledoresgirl !!

pagwatch Sat 18-Aug-07 18:27:07

DG [shock} - especially as he was a huge man !

I did - and had no pain relief at all - and DH nearly punched Doc when he went to cut me again.
First babe so didn't know why, they didn't talk to me before during or after. Crap hospital .
2nd and 3rd DC's were fine

jofeb04 Sat 18-Aug-07 18:33:04

Thanks for the information.

I had the forceps with my ds, so fully understandable. So many women have told me that they have had an episiotomy, because they were told that they need one, but no information was given as to why iyswim.

Klaw Sat 18-Aug-07 18:56:56

Yes, because they used forceps, because they said decels....

I have only just found out that someone else using the same hospital in the next few weeks has been told she's got an 8hr time limit on her VBAC.

And so realise that this is what I was subjected to, especially as I have always been suspicious of the decels, merely looks like a poor trace to me when I look at my notes, And they have used the trace as an excuse to intervene based on hospital protocol which I was not told about.

So, they did a CS first because they couldn't support a normal labour and then they mutilated me again because they wouldn't let a normal labour unfold...

Can you tell I'm pretty peeved?

They HAVE to tell you why they plan to perform an episiotemy and ask your permission. If they do not do so then it's assault!

Jofeb04, you have grounds for complaint!!!

lilymolly Sat 18-Aug-07 18:59:33

Yes because Heart rate was dropping and they had to use ventouse to get tiny daughter out!
Cant remember if they asked permission, but as long as dd was delivered safely I could not care.

GodzillasBumcheek Sat 18-Aug-07 19:22:27

During first childbirth they told me they thought it would be best to have an episiotomy because the head looked like it was too big (!). There is a running joke to this day that dtd1 has an enormous cranium!

During second childbirth they didn't have time to perform an episiotomy and i got second degree tears...i wish i had had one this time too , as the tear took longer to heal and was more painful at the time.

CorrieDale Sat 18-Aug-07 19:34:04

I had one because DD's head was stuck half-in and half-out, with my perineum wrapped around it like a too-tight elastic band. When the MW tentatively suggested a cut, I jumped at it. In fact, I begged for one. Literally. No regrets - if I hadn't had one, I think I'd still be pushing and DD's head would be a VERY odd shape.

Laura032004 Sat 18-Aug-07 19:56:08

Had one as couldn't get DS2's head out, and his heart rate was worrying everyone. Consultant was standing by to do a forceps delivery, so this was the last option before that. MW said I was tearing anyway, so she just enlarged the tear.

I can still remember the noise Cutting up raw chicken has never been the same since!

pobletsmum Sat 18-Aug-07 20:29:13

Had one for forceps delivery.

Princesspowersparkle Sat 18-Aug-07 22:40:28

Yes and yes- I simply would have torn if I didn't so was very pleased MW did one.

expatinscotland Sat 18-Aug-07 22:44:26

I had one for forceps delivery. Performed by consultant and stitched up by her as well.

expatinscotland Sat 18-Aug-07 22:44:50

Mine was under full epidural.

Tigana Sat 18-Aug-07 22:46:13

yes, forceps as ds back to vack, head at odd angle and meconium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now