Talk

Advanced search

First poo after episitomy??

(16 Posts)
kittypower Fri 17-Aug-07 23:32:15

I had an episitomy on Monday to deliver my gorgeous little boy but haven't done a poo since, they keep asking me if i had and i am now on laxitives but still nothing. How long was it until your first poo and did it really hurt when it did arrive!!!

XX

MaureenMLove Fri 17-Aug-07 23:37:40

Scary! I found that once I got home, had a nice bath in my own house and a bacon buttie and cuppa, I relaxed iykwim! It was 5 days post baby and no it didn't hurt at all!

notnowbernard Fri 17-Aug-07 23:47:06

Eat loads of stool-softening foods... berries are good but dried apricots are the best! Make sure, they're organic though. Non-organic contain something that can cause trapped wind, apparently. It's not too traumatic, bt the way!

Bubbaloo Fri 17-Aug-07 23:50:48

I had an episiotomy with ds1 and was petrified about going to the loo afterwards that I refused to eat anything with fibre in.After 5 days I did eventually go and it didn't hurt at all.I did have lots of salt baths beforehand though,so I don't know if perhaps that might have helped.

Dior Fri 17-Aug-07 23:52:02

Message withdrawn

Spidermama Fri 17-Aug-07 23:54:22

I put glycerine tablets up my bott after every birth. A god send I can tell you. (I tore every time.)

Congratulations by the way.

Spidermama Fri 17-Aug-07 23:54:41

They're called glycerine suppositories.

pooka Fri 17-Aug-07 23:55:19

Was rather worrying at the time. But I managed at about day 3. Did eat dried apricots and tried to drink loads of water too.

Spidermama Sat 18-Aug-07 00:14:02

In all honesty no amount of prunes or dried apricots would have done it for me. I had to make sure that whatever was passing through me was total liquid. FTMI, I know.

TequilaMockinBird Sat 18-Aug-07 00:19:16

I remember being told by my midwife after episiotomy with DD to hold a sanitary towel on the episiotomy whilst having first poo.

Dunno if this actually did anything but it did make me feel a lot better - i was terrified that i would 'split' again

bookthief Sat 18-Aug-07 00:20:31

I think it was about 7 days post-birth and I was on Lactulose. Was petrified but actually it was ok.

Have you had a look at your stitches? If you can bring yourself to inspect the damage it might reassure you that they're probably pretty far away from your anus really.

vole3 Sat 18-Aug-07 16:51:30

Had baby Tuesday night, had '2nd baby' Thursday morning. I had been on lactulose and fibogel and they wouldn't let me go home until the deed was done. Found using a wad of loo paper to support the undercarriage helpful.

Princesspowersparkle Sat 18-Aug-07 22:18:40

Day after giving birth and it was fine. Was a bit nervous but decided to get it out the way at the hospital. Was not as bad as I thought. The chances of you actually splitting are practically non-exsistant. As someone suggested hold a pad on your stitches. TBH I found that normal sitting down/ walking etc was far worse then going to the loo.
xx

SlightlyMadStar Sat 18-Aug-07 22:20:56

I didn't have an epsiotmy - but an extensive 2nd degree.

A tip I was told - and it did work was to take a clean maternity pad and hold it against you fanjo whilst you pass motion. Helps to hold all your bits in

<well not really but it gives you extra reassurance that they won't all fall out IYSWIM>

pointydog Sat 18-Aug-07 22:26:37

A long time ago but if it's any comfort, no it didn't hurt

pobletsmum Sat 18-Aug-07 22:30:22

Sorry this might not be helpful, but I did struggle. Did san towel thing etc. Nobody warned me to eat apricots etc. Day 7 midwife had to call DR to house as I was in agony having not been at all - normally go several times a day so very unusual and scary. Midwife inserted glycerin suppository for me as I was in a state. GP prescribed lactulose. When the deed eventually 'happened' it wasn't so bad. I think I had more trouble cos of nasty piles . Perineal stitches were infected too, so all in all I was a bit of a mess down there.

Next time (am pg again), I will ask for lactulose from GP before labour, and stock up on glycerin supps. I will eat apricots as soon as I leave delivery suite! I'd rather it was all a bit runny than go through that again! (Sorry way TMI!!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now