Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

VBA2C AFTER LOOP???

(9 Posts)
Lorayn Tue 14-Aug-07 19:40:29

Ok, this is a culmination of a few threads I've read/posted on lately.
I have just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant and having had an emergency c-section with my DD (she was born prem at 32+3 after placental abruption, and I had a vertical incision) I was told to have an elective cs with DS (nearly four years later, no problems).
Three months ago I received an abnormal smear letter, went along for my colposcopy where it was discovered i had CIN3, I had the loop there and then, and was told after the biopsy that there were no signs of cancer, and I would be required to have regular smears thereafter. Nothing was mentioned about not getting pregnant.
I'm desperate to have a natural labour, and have just read that the loop may cause preterm labour, on top of previous pregnancies I'm pretty sure my consultant/midwife is going to say I need another cs.
Has anyone had any experience of this or does anyone know anymore info??
Seeing my doc on thursday but wont see midwife for a few weeks........

majormoo Tue 14-Aug-07 20:43:10

Hi, have just posted on another thread about something similar, but I has a LEEP for CIN3 in Mar 05 and had no problems with my subsequent pregnancy or birth of DS in Oct 06(DS was a week late in fact.) However, recent research I believe has indicated that there is an increased risk of premature labour following the procedure. I saw a consultant during my pregnancy who said that sometimes following LEEP a labour can start early but he said around 36 weeks (rather than really early i.e. 20 weeks, as can be the case following a Cone Biopsy.) I think risk depends on how much of the cervical tissue is removed and how many procedures you have had. Hope this helps a bit-do not know whether this would make you more likely to need a CS or not.

Lorayn Tue 14-Aug-07 22:23:00

thanks, hoping it won't make too much difference!!!

MrsCarrot Tue 14-Aug-07 22:33:38

I had a vbac in January after Loop diathermy in 2005 for severe dyskariosis, think it was number 5 or something.

I asked the consultant if it would affect pregnancy and he said no, it might affect labour but it shouldn't compromise the cervix. I think there were more cases of needing cervical stitches with the old cone biopsies that aren't done so often now. I did have a long labour and I asked if this could have been caused by scar tissue from the loop and they said it may have but no-one knows for sure. It didn't stop me having a successful vbac and I'm sure it won't for you either.

It's quite weird reading this today actually, as I've just had a abnormal result through the post this morning. Sigh. It's borderline this time though, so just need repeat smear in a few months to observe rather than treatment straightaway.

Good luck with it.

Lorayn Tue 14-Aug-07 22:51:36

fingers crossed, and I hope your smears are fine in the future x

DaisyMOO Tue 14-Aug-07 23:34:30

Hi again Lorayn

I think the major factor with you is that you had a vertical incision which is known to increase the risk of uterine rupture quite significantly. There's more about it here but given that you've also had another cesarean since (presumably a new transverse incision rather than a repeat vertical one?) it's likely that the advice will be to have another cesarean. I don't know masses about vbacs in this situation, and you might find it helpful to like at either the midwifery yahoo group or the vbac yahoo group

Lorayn Wed 15-Aug-07 10:16:17

Thanks for the info Daisy, looks unlikely they'll allow me to try it naturally

DaisyMOO Wed 15-Aug-07 10:24:01

Well it is your decision Lorayn, nobody can force you to have a repeat CS if you don't want one, but you need to weigh up the risks and benefits and decide what you want to do.

Lorayn Wed 15-Aug-07 11:02:54

hmm, I suppose, I certainly didnt feel like it was my decision last time, I cried and cried to my consultant and begged to be allowed to go into labour naturally, to be told I couldnt, Maybe I should have stood my ground, I dont know, I suppose I'll have to see what they say at the hospital.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: