I've had a really heavy discharge for the last couple of months, I'm now 39 weeks but today when I got up I noticed this clear jelly like blob about the size of a 5p, do you think this is a show? Also my discharge can get so heavy i'm worried if I won't notice my waters leaking. If so, what do I do??
Yes, it does sound like a show but labour could be days (or even weeks!) off yet. I think you would notice your waters leaking as it would be a definite trickling, particularly when you stand. If you're not sure then the hospital can test whether it's waters or discharge (I'm sure Lulu will suggest sniffing them!)
Yeah sniff your pad, it will smell sweet if it's waters! I think waters are likely to be far more runny than discharge or show. A hindwaters leak will create more of an ongoing trickle which may then dry up if the forewaters don't actually go
Show can be clear, pink or down right bloody! It's part of the process of childbirth and labour will start soon... sometime in the next 3 weeks!
Do NOT stress about this, carry on as normal and make sure you get plenty of rest. Do NOT download Contractionmaster (should be banned! )
Just got back from the hospital and it was a show as about two hours later my waters broke!! I have to go back at 11pm tonight. it is a week early and I feel i'm not ready - very nervous about the whole thing now!
I endured the 24hr rule with DS1 in hospital overnight too (ended up with a CS before I'd even had a contaction! - long story). DS2 I was a little wiser - and made it from waters breaking Sunday AM, to Wednesday afternoon before being induced - at home though.
Thankfully didn't need to press for the 96hrs with DS3 as they didn't go until about 40 mins before he was born
They have given me 24 hours which takes me to midday tomorrow but they want to check me again at 11pm tonight and then I can go home again and come back tomorrow. I've said I want to wait as long as possible but why is it so bad to be induced?
kitty NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) say that it's safe to go without intervention (ie induction) for up to 96hrs - you just need to keep an eye on your temperature (high one can indicate infection). That way your body has more chance of going into labour on it's own.
Being induced increases the chances of having intervention in the forms of ventouse/forceps - or even ending up with a CS. Also - having had one induction and one natural (as well as a CS) they reckon (and I agree) that going into labour naturally is much easier.
By all means go back in tonight, and even tomorrow - but if I was you I would seriously considering refusing to be induced until the "recommended" time limit - quote NICE guidelines to them if they start putting pressure on you,
Well, if it was me I wouldn't be going back in tonight, rather I'd be having a nice soak in the shower, a massage and some nipple stimulation, some kissing and hugging from dh and then a good night's sleep!
I really would not be going anywhere near the hospital!
check out the details about nipple stimulation here