Talk

Advanced search

Post-natal check/app how much should you see your/A MW after birth??

(14 Posts)
BabyMadandBIGbump Fri 10-Aug-07 22:28:58

I had my daughter on Tuesday, 2 MW that delivered her went, I saw my own MW that day too, I had BF support come out to me the next day (they did no checks on me or the baby it was just a chat) but nothing since, BF support made another app for Sunday, my own MW should of came out yesterday we waited in all day but not a dicky bird, no phone call or any thing to make another day and time, Apart from the day a delivered I've not been checked at all, BP, temp, pain or anything, just wondering when I should be seeing someone and how often?

asur Fri 10-Aug-07 22:44:48

do you have a phone number that you could give a MW a call just to check when they'll be in?

I wouldn't worry too much about not being checked; even when I had visits, I never had any checks done, was just asked how I was and if I had any problems going to the loo!

Congrats on your DD btw

Where I work women will get seen the day afetr they leave hospital, or for home births the day after the birth.

Then the next routine appt is at 6 days when the heel prick is done. But we would normally ask women if they want to be seen in between those appts and will do if they say yes.

BabyMadandBIGbump Sun 12-Aug-07 00:04:01

Thanks ladies!

I've till snot seen a MW since the day baby was born, when my DS'S were born I saw a MW- day 1, 2, 4, 7, and 10 (ds#2 day13) but still at least tomorrow when BF support come round my baby will get a check!

Babymadx

MrsTittleMouse Sun 12-Aug-07 09:43:47

More difficult as DD is not your first, but could you go in to see them? That's what I did when I was concerned about my recovery after my DD's birth, I phoned up and they invited me to come in and have a quick check up.

BabyMadandBIGbump Sun 12-Aug-07 10:46:27

I'm okay, I think , I just I cant remember having this much backache after DS's were born, pain killers aren't touching it and I've had it since the birth, I'm very teary and have been so since again the birth, I had PND with DS#2 and I'm so worried I'll get it again basically, baby is fine feeding well (now), such a wonderful baby got herself into a routine already no problems with baby so to speak, her cord has come away and looks a little sore but I'll ask BF support about that when they come even though I don't know why there coming since BF wasn't working out , but I'm sure everything will be fine!

thanks!

MrsTittleMouse Sun 12-Aug-07 10:56:42

You sound as though you're doing really well, but from what you write you do need someone to make sure that everything is OK. Do you have a "MW central" number that you can call? At the hospital where I gave birth I could phone up and chat at any time I wanted (as long as they weren't overwhelmed with women in labour of course!). If you're feeling a bit teary it could help to talk it over with someone professional.

JoMa Sun 12-Aug-07 11:02:47

I had this recently with ds2, I saw the MW at day 2, day 6, day 10. that was it

mears Sun 12-Aug-07 11:13:47

You should actually be seen by the midwife as often as you need for up to 28 days.

In reality usually the midwife visits until the 10th day. It used to be daily but selective visiting was introduced some years ago but that is meant to be in agreement with the mother.

Baby should have blood spot test on day 5.

Feel free to call your midwife if you would like to see her - that is what she is there for. She should have left you a contact number.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsSOH Sun 12-Aug-07 11:21:22

Oh BabyMad I didn't realise you'd had your little girl. Congratulations to you my lovely.

My midwife came to see me on day 2 and day 6 then the hv took over. I had no checks done even though I'd had a cs. I did however have the number for the midwives hq if I needed to see anybody. Give 'em a ring.

Hope the back eases up, take it easy and Well Done!

ShowOfHands

PS Just seen your lovely pics. And nice nursery! DD is 3 months old and doesn't even have a cot. Bad mummy!

cheritongirl Sun 12-Aug-07 23:44:36

sorry to hijack but SOH (or formally known as..) how are you??? Remember your slightly desperate post from a few weeks back and have often worried about you and hoped you were doing OK.

re: the original post: i had a hb and after a good couple of visits my mw disappeared til i phoned them to ask to look at stitches (she cut a couple out - made life much easier!) but then i didnt get postnatal check til 12 weeks!! I phoned 4 times to ask for one and they just said they were too busy.. just as well i wasn't in a real state...
hope things go ok with you babymad x

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsSOH Mon 13-Aug-07 11:23:59

Oh cheritongirl, bless you for remembering. Things have improved somewhat I think. My devilish little girl still feeds every two hours but this is better than the constant feeding from a few weeks ago. I can also be out of my pyjamas by midday with a very concerted effort. Some days I brush my hair. Yesterday I wore shoes and ventured outside. It's all about lowering your expectations I have found. DH who was working 16 hour days has changed jobs and that has made the most enormous difference. I am eating regularly and sleeping a wee bit and have not fainted for a couple of weeks. I also no longer look like an extra from a zombie film. I suspect that dd will continue to be a hungry little thing (currently bypassing the 98th centile) but at 14 weeks there's the odd break inbetween feeds and check out the smile on my profile. She's definitely worth it.

Thank you for thinking of me. I love MN, such a group of lovely ladies.

<<sobs like a girl>>

BabyMadandBIGbump Mon 13-Aug-07 12:34:18

Thanks again ladies,

A MW came round yesterday (not BF support which made the app with me, which I thought was odd at the time due to no longer BF) and what was nice is it was the same MW that delivered my daughter so we had a long chat all about the birth, I asked lots of questions about what I remember and what I wanted to know and so on, which was really nice, never had that before, never seen the MW's that delivered my DC after. All them things that I wanted to talk about (aches, pains and so on) by the time I saw the MW sorted them self's out, still teary just hoping there is no underline problem just hormones but I cant believe you only get 2-3 app after the birth now .

MW coming again at 10 days and a HV coming out soon as well.

Babymadxx

cheritongirl Mon 13-Aug-07 21:28:32

< sorry to hijack again..> SoH , so glad things are a bit better for you. Yes, lowering expectations is the name of the game - life only seems like an unending, frustrating round of low-achieving otherwise. Well done for venturing outside! Always make me feel better...
anyway, i don't know how you do the CAT thing, but if you ever want to find me i am always nosing around the childbirth threads! Take care of yourself and that gorgeous little beauty - she reallt is lovely from the photos!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now