Talk

Advanced search

Sharing a positive birthing experience at Chelsea & Westminster

(3 Posts)
Magnolia36 Wed 01-Aug-07 18:26:43

Hello there,
I really wanted to share my positive birthing experience at Chelsea & Westminster.
I know in the past this hospital has taken a bit of a battering with negative comments - and after giving birth there last Friday (27th July) - it was so positive I wanted to share my story with other mums.
I am a first time mum and had been really anxious about giving birth at Chelsea and after watching a Panorama programme and even tried to change hospitals (as it was, I was too late in the end).
In the end I went into labour at 1.19am Thursday morning and after my waters broke at 8am - I called the hospital who said come in to be checked. When I arrived I was seen immediately, the first midwife assigned to me was lovely. As my labour progressed, another midwife was assigned, - this second midwife was also lovely, reassuring, informative and so helpful. Soon after, I then had a final midwife change - Emily was student midwife and Doris was an experienced midwife - they then stayed with my partner and I throughout the rest of the labour - they were FANTASTIC!!! During the night, they got a mattress and blanket and pillow for DP to have a little sleep, they explained everything, they were gentle, encouraging and reassuring. In the end I had an epidural, which was arranged almost immediately - again the aneathnitist was brilliant, it worked perfectly and gave me a much needed rest.
Ultimately I needed a c-section - which was a relief!! Doris and Emily were there to hold my hand throughout - along with DP of course!
In the recovery ward - the midwives again were very nice and again in the postnatal ward the midwives that I encountered were kind and helpful. Whenever I rang the bell someone came immediately. They advised with breatfeeding and also helped me change the baby etc the first time - I didn't have a clue!
My only negative would be to say that at certain times of the day the bathrooms can get pretty filthy - so my advice would be to take flip flops and antibactierial wipes.
also if you can get a bed beside the window in the postnatal ward you have a bit more space and privacy.
So that's it - good luck to all those also going to Chelsea - stay positive!

kittypower Fri 03-Aug-07 10:19:45

Congratulations on your new baby! Thank you for your message, i am due to give birth there next week and am also very very nervous after hearing so many bad reports. Your story has made me feel heaps better.
xx

bellabelly Sat 04-Aug-07 12:56:03

Congratulations! And how brilliant to hear a positive story. I'm having my twins there on Wednesday if all goes to plan and it's so lovely to hear that you had a good experience with your labour, c-section and post-natal recovery. Thanks for a reassuring post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now