Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Really frustrated!! - Labour?

(24 Posts)
TrinaJ Mon 30-Jul-07 10:34:31

4 nights ago I spent 5 hours having contractions thought I was finally there - then it all stopped!
I've now been having contractions/braxton hicks on and off ever since - have tried all suggestions to get it going but no luck yet!
This is my 3rd - you'd think I'd know what to expect by now - but I've never had false alarms before and am getting very frustrated .
Anyone had this problem - how long did it take for bubs to arrive?

Frizbe Mon 30-Jul-07 10:36:24

I'm sure it'll just pop out in seconds flat honey all this pre labour stuff is getting you very ready for a short sharp drop! (here's hoping for you anyway!)

wildwoman Mon 30-Jul-07 10:36:25

are you overdue?

TrinaJ Mon 30-Jul-07 10:41:36

No 1- 3 weeks early!! (depending on which date you go by!)
Both ds and dd were about a week early.

TrinaJ Mon 30-Jul-07 10:45:37

Braxton hicks shouldn't hurt though? and aren't they normally only at the front?
Been 3 years since last time! and didn't have many braxton hicks before.
Having pains under belly and around back and rock hard belly!

TrinaJ Mon 30-Jul-07 12:21:25

Does this still sound like pre-labour or do you think its on the way?

ellasmum1 Mon 30-Jul-07 12:33:13

Braxton- hicks do hurt sometimes! The only way to know if its labour is that they keep getting stronger/closer together. I know it must be really frustrating but it will happen when its meant to happen!

DaisyMOO Mon 30-Jul-07 14:49:10

Anecdotally lots of people find that they get more false alarms with each subsequent baby, possibly because the uterus is more stretched and so the baby takes longer to settle into a good position, hence the contractions to turn him/her. It is frustrating, but they will be doing something - softening your cervix, helping you prepare mentally for labour, getting the baby's head down etc, so try and think of them as a positive thing if you can! Your baby will be here soon!

Trinaj Tue 07-Aug-07 08:39:21

Really fed up now. Last night was the 3rd time I've been up overnight with contractions - still no baby!!!!
Seeing mw later going to have a word.

bananabump Tue 07-Aug-07 08:46:17

Trina, just wanted to say you're not alone. I was woken up by contractions at about 4am monday morning, but they failed to get stronger or more regular, just slightly painful with backache, coming every so often all day. Still having them today but again, irregularly. This is my first baby, getting very frustrated!

Bet you're wearing a hole in your birthing ball by now, aren't you?

Trinaj Tue 07-Aug-07 09:19:30

I wish I had a birthing ball - tried the kids space hoppers but they weren't too impressed!
Have found that rocking hips makes any pains more regular - more effective I hope?

bananabump Tue 07-Aug-07 09:25:50

hehe, I bet a spacehopper works just as well, and it has those handy "ears" as well to stop you falling off!

Well I tried a lavender bath yesterday and everything stopped so I won't be doing that again in a hurry. My niece just suggested rocking on the edge of the sofa, might try that. Also suggested walking up and down the stairs sideways but our stairs are steep and a bit dangerous so I'll give that one a miss, don't need any drama today!

Bet you'll pop before I will

Trinaj Tue 07-Aug-07 10:10:27

going to scream at mw soon if nothing happens!

burstingbug Tue 07-Aug-07 10:15:34

When are you seeing mw?

Trinaj Tue 07-Aug-07 10:20:17

12.45 today. Going to try and beg her for a sweep.

mears Tue 07-Aug-07 10:23:03

Trinaj - if I was your midwife I would refuse to give you a sweep so don't be disappointed. Sweeps are for overdue women. All it might do is make your runs of contractions worse with no baby.

Try and chill - the baby will come when it is ready. All these practice runs will be sofetning your cervix in preparation for labour. You'll be a slow started but quick finisher

caterpiller Tue 07-Aug-07 10:26:00

This is normal with 3rd and subsequent babies. It will prob be quick in the end though. You'll know when the really serious stuff is starting

(I've got 5 by the way)

Trinaj Tue 07-Aug-07 10:28:18

still having pains every 10 - 30 mins. might be progressing this time

burstingbug Tue 07-Aug-07 13:34:55

How's it going? What'd mw say?

Trinaj Tue 07-Aug-07 13:49:14

Nothing for ages now.
MW was useless - didn't check me, didn't even ask if I'd had water or show! - No chance of sweep!
I'm really disheartened - again!
Fed up with waiting around - everytime it starts I then spend days wondering about every little flutter - just want it over now!!

Trinaj Wed 08-Aug-07 09:08:27

Still no baby, still having twinges on and off!
I hope bananabump you're having more luck than me - as I'm finding it really frustrating!

beansontoast Wed 08-Aug-07 09:23:23

i can second the 'slow start... sprint finish' encouragemnet that is being offered!

hang in there...x

happypiglet Wed 08-Aug-07 14:47:08

Hi there just seen your thread.
I had exactly this with my DD (who is my third and is now 3 weeks old). I was 2 weeks early with DS1 and 3 weeks early with DS2 so at 37 weeks thought I was going into labour when I had contractions in the night- called my midwife (home birth planned) and everything!! Then it all stopped.
I went on to have over 2 weeks of contractions that started and then never went anywhere. They weren't Braxcton Hicks though they were the real thing but never got going.
Needless to say when real labour did start I waited 3 hours before calling anyone as I wasn't sure it was happening! She arrived 2 hours later- so at least it was short- the 'false' contractions had being doing some work!. My mw says it is really common with 3rd babies and as mine was not in a great position she thought the contractions were trying to shift the baby round so everytime I had one I went onto all fours (subject to what I was doing with my pre-schoolers!!!)
I found that the main difference between the false starts and the real thing was that if I moved position in the false labours the contractions went away but when it kicked off for real moving made the pain worse.
DD arrived at 39+3 so was the latest of all my children- it serves me right for being prepared this time!
Hope it happens for you soon - I too found it very frustrating to say the least.
Thinking of you..

Trinaj Thu 09-Aug-07 19:56:25

Well what a day!
A relaxing trip to the beach ended up in casualty!
DC having fun playing in wet sand, ds threw a handful of sand into dd's face! Right in the eye.
Tried to wash it out - didn't work. So off to local A&E we go, sent then to bigger A&E in the next town.
Two hours later told she's fine - mostly gone, no treatment needed,
So a Macdonald's later all's well.
If that doesn't bring on labour - I give up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now