Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question alert!!

(26 Posts)
BarryBarryTaylor Fri 21-Jun-19 14:46:34

Hello,
Baby no.2 is due in a few weeks, all being well we will have a water birth, it’s what I’m hoping for but you know how unpredictable childbirth can be...
it’s just occurred to me, what do you wear in the birthing pool? I was just going to take a sports bra type bra that I got from uniqlo, comfy and cheap. It’s this acceptable? Any advice welcomed! X

OP’s posts: |
funnystory Fri 21-Jun-19 14:55:40

I didn't end up having a waterbirth but I bought a cheapish maternity tankini that I could wear for a possible waterbirth,

curiositycreature Fri 21-Jun-19 14:57:13

My MW said anything goes, she recommended a vest top so that’s what’s in my hospital bag. It did occur to me I could wear a bikini though (just can’t be bothered to find one!). Naked is apparently more than acceptable too. She said baggy T-shirt’s and likely to be tied up at the back.

MummaD209 Fri 21-Jun-19 14:58:37

I would say a maternity tankini with tieside Bottoms

BarrytheFatcat Fri 21-Jun-19 14:59:14

You'll probably end up naked anyway for the skin to skin contact and first feed when baby is born.

mawof3soontobe Fri 21-Jun-19 15:00:28

I've had two previous water births and about to go for a third, I've got a primark sports bra crop top thing. No point paying for tankinis or the likes, they tell u to take the bottoms off before you get in the pool anyway

EdtheBear Fri 21-Jun-19 15:02:22

Tankini but actually if I hadn't already owned one I'd probably have just used a vest top.

BarryBarryTaylor Fri 21-Jun-19 15:04:15

Ok thank you all. I will just use my uniqlo sports bra as planned and not bother buying anything else now.
Another stupid question- should I pack a bath towel in my hospital bag?

BelulahBlanca Fri 21-Jun-19 15:05:00

I had an unplanned water bath so I was naked.

EdtheBear Fri 21-Jun-19 15:08:11

They will give you plenty towels

BarryBarryTaylor Fri 21-Jun-19 15:10:56

Thank you Edthebear

NewAccount270219 Fri 21-Jun-19 15:12:52

I did not have a water birth but I remember the midwife in my antenatal class said that quite frequently women would don a one-piece swimming costume to get into the pool and she'd have to explain why that wasn't going to work...grin

She also said that naked is fine for the woman but not for dad to be - and that that comes up a lot shock

Riverside85 Fri 21-Jun-19 15:17:07

I had a water birth and was naked, I didn’t even think anything of it in the moment. It was like being in the bath. Only thing is I can’t show many people the photos from immediately after the birth grin DD was born and straight up onto my chest/between my breasts through the water.

BumbleNova Fri 21-Jun-19 15:20:10

I was planning on wearing a bikini top but I didn't want anything on at all when it came around.

BarryBarryTaylor Fri 21-Jun-19 15:27:04

To be honest after my long arduous first childbirth where I didn’t want any pictures of me, being naked in a pool makes a nice change grin

I saw a midwife on one born every minute (yes I know I shouldn’t watch this!) say that she had a dad get naked and get in the pool with the mom 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ My DH won’t be doing that haha

BelulahBlanca Fri 21-Jun-19 15:52:55

I was naked, hairy and the most popular girl from school was my midwife- she was a dream midwife but definitely a very strange moment in my life!

Ohyesiam Fri 21-Jun-19 15:54:09

I was naked, didn’t see the point of wearing anything.

sacrecoeur0712 Fri 21-Jun-19 15:58:38

Nothing on for me too - in hindsight I suppose I could have left my bra on but I was so in the zone I just whipped everything off between contractions so I could get in the water quickly.

PartridgeJoan Fri 21-Jun-19 18:05:43

I just wore a bra. Nothing else

Littleguggi Fri 21-Jun-19 19:55:48

Took a bikini but ended up wearing the vest top I arrived in

bourbonbiccy Fri 21-Jun-19 20:02:25

I just had my bikini bra top on and it worked great for me.

Lolololololol Fri 21-Jun-19 20:52:43

I just wore a vest top x

MumZay Fri 21-Jun-19 21:14:55

My most comfortable t shirt!

kunderscorej Fri 21-Jun-19 21:34:31

I wore a sports bra. I would take a towel just in case, they don't always give you many towels in hospital and might be handy to have.
Good luck! I loved the birthing pool, was great for me smile

bobstersmum Fri 21-Jun-19 21:44:04

Vest top, Bra or bikini top. Or totally nude if you prefer!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in