Talk

Advanced search

sex..is it the semen or the orgasm that is important..or both?

(31 Posts)
beansontoast Wed 25-Jul-07 14:55:25

...to bring on labour?

cos obviously this makes a difference to my motivation!

(fear that i may be induced on friday...eigt days before due date...and DO NOT WANT A DRIP)

MaloryTowers Wed 25-Jul-07 14:56:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mumpbump Wed 25-Jul-07 14:56:54

Both. I think the orgasm releases a hormone (oxytocin?) in you which can help and there is another hormone (I think) prostoglandin (or something like that) in the semen which can stimulate labour...

Chelseamum Wed 25-Jul-07 14:57:55

you randy thing.... about to pop and willing to cope with a duda! i admire u!

bananabump Wed 25-Jul-07 15:00:46

Thankyou! I've been meaning to ask that. I had heard that it was just the prostaglandins in the semen which help to soften the cervix, and not the actual act of sex, but maybe they both help?

I had also heard that the prostaglandins are more readily absorbed through the stomach lining (as in the inside of the stomach, not rubbed into the bump!) than the uterus.

But I didn't know if it was just some hopeful man saying that in the hopes of getting a lifetimes worth of BJ's in one desperate fortnight. Can anyone verify this claim???

witchandchips Wed 25-Jul-07 15:01:47

neither, its the fits of hysterical laughter you get into when you try to contort yourself into a position where dh can possibly gain entry.

beansontoast Wed 25-Jul-07 15:10:32

thanks everyone...what a wealth of knowledge and cynicism

i think ill just make it a 'bit of a shag'...to tick off prostaglandins in semen.... and then will have no option but to endure prolonged nipple stimulation and a whole load of 'side orders'...to tick the other box!

might do a couple of lines of raspberry leaf powder

bananabump...im inclined to think thats bollocks

barbamama Wed 25-Jul-07 15:12:58

don't bother unless you are really motivated - made no difference to me. I was 8 days overdue and the only thing (of many) that seemed to work was rubbing clary sage oil on my bump - contractions started soon after - whether they would have done anyway tho who knows.

And don't bother with a curry - heartburn in labour not recommended.

cheritongirl Wed 25-Jul-07 15:30:43

umm think its the semen...
worked for me anyway! well i think it did...

electra Wed 25-Jul-07 15:35:01

It seemeed to work for me too - it's prostaglandins in the semen that do it (same stuff used on the gel when you are induced iirc)

Nath Wed 25-Jul-07 16:34:23

Hee hee, whats more inviting - sex at 9 months pregnant or being induced??!!??!!

twofalls Wed 25-Jul-07 16:36:41

bananabump - that is what my mw told me. About being absorbed through the stomach lining.....

witchandchips Wed 25-Jul-07 16:37:53

I had three "sweeps". Horrible being groped and then told your bits are the wrong shape!

fawkeoff Wed 25-Jul-07 16:38:43

SEMEN

tortoiseSHELL Wed 25-Jul-07 16:39:31

Both - the semen contains prostoglandin, which is what is in the pessary they use to induce you. Oxytocin is released on orgasm (and nipple twiddling) to strenghten contractions.

MerlinsBeard Wed 25-Jul-07 16:39:53

its something in the semen. i asked my mw when i was late with ds2. I also asked if it mattered if i drank it without realiing what i had said!!

tortoiseSHELL Wed 25-Jul-07 16:40:14

And I've also heard that prostoglandin is more effective orally...

BabyMadandBIGbump Wed 25-Jul-07 17:33:57

My MW said BOTH!

mrsmalumbas Wed 25-Jul-07 17:42:02

Sorry, none of it will work unless your cervix is nice and ripe and your body is ready to go into labour anyway. You can do all the nipple twiddling and shagging and eating spicy food that you like but if your body is not ready to give birth you'll probably just induce a nice set of irregular contractions that will keep you up all night and then fizzle out in the morning. You could have a feel and see if you can tell what your cervix is doing, if it's ripe it should feel a bit soft/mushy like the inside of pursed lips. However, I could never reach mine.

Perhaps the bigger question is why you are facing an induction 8 days before your due date? Would you consider refusing? or at least ask why you are not being offered any other options before you get to the stage of needing a drip - stretch and sweep maybe?

bananabump Wed 25-Jul-07 17:54:26

So the general opinion on the BJ theory is that it's bullshit? God, I think you've just ruined my dp's week! lol

beansontoast Wed 25-Jul-07 19:13:35

NO bananabump...a couple of people said they had heard the same....there might be some truth in it...though you wont see the theory being tested in my house...or even mentioned!

mrsmalumbas..its not def that i will be induced...it depends on my blood condition...

i was induced last time (on due date) and only needed gel...but this time they may want to do it earlier, so im anticipating that im nowhere near ready and that they will need to use the drip.

Klaw Wed 25-Jul-07 19:50:17

Sorry Malory it is indeed true!

Natural induction methods you might like to try are indeed sex and nipple stimulation.

If you can be bothered to read it here is a good description of what goes on to help you understand why using your own hormones will will be better than chemical induction.

When making the artificial prostaglandens they use pig semen. I think I'd prefer my own dp's thank you very much! I'd have to go look for the evidence that it is better ingested orally but it is what I've been hearing from very reliable sources so if I was desperate I'd be giving it a go!

beansontoast Thu 26-Jul-07 16:57:01

OMG...when i had the pessaries last time i said to DP this smells like 'pig spoof'...

DITDOT Thu 26-Jul-07 22:59:26

I was told that to have the same amount of prostagandins as in a pessary you would need to do it 50 times!!!! No thanks.

prettymum Thu 26-Jul-07 23:04:21

it worked for me with dc1! 10 minutes after sex my contractions started! but didnt work with dc2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now