Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Was the 2nd birth quicker and easier?

(44 Posts)
sleepfinder Fri 20-Jul-07 15:22:42

I've not been on here for ages after a battle over bananas on the weaning threads...

Got DS 10 months and Baby 2 due this coming November.

Have been told Number 2 quicker, easier, less painful (!?!) than first.

Certainly the pregnancy is less of a body shock, but does everyone find this?

notasheep Fri 20-Jul-07 15:26:40

Number 2 was 10days late and induced UGH!!!

where as Number 1 was 4 days early

So you never know when baby will arrive.
Wishing you well

LoonyLyraLovegood Fri 20-Jul-07 15:27:11

No. Second much worse.

lulumama Fri 20-Jul-07 15:28:03

first birth here was a failed induction , ending in c.s

second birth was spontanous labour, ending in normal, intervention free vaginal birth

so much better here !

sleepfinder Fri 20-Jul-07 15:29:20

How worse LLL? Longer, more painful, please feel free to elaborate...

bellaprincess Fri 20-Jul-07 15:31:50

1st birth took ages as I had an epideral. My 2nd birth I decided to do natural and I gave birth within 45mins of entering the hospital. I was told by midwife if you can try and wait as long as possible at home because hospitals tend slow down labour in the early contractions (something to do with white coat syndrome - didn't understand much but it helped).

Ceolas Fri 20-Jul-07 15:32:09

Second was much easier for me, but you'll get loads of different responses on this one! Don't think there's a definite rule.

quiveutmabonnebaguette Fri 20-Jul-07 15:32:33

1rst birth - 35 hours of labour (1rst stage very long)

2nd birth (Homebirth) - 4 hours, yes easier as you know what to expect, the bit that really hurt (and difficult) was the pushing.

LoonyLyraLovegood Fri 20-Jul-07 15:33:04

Much longer, much more painful, ended in ventouse delivery and shocked DS2 going to special care for a few hours with very low apgar scores.
But then my case is different in that the first birth was an emergency CS after 12 hours' labour and DS1 becoming distressed.
If you had a vaginal birth first time round, you can expect the second to be quicker and easier.

runawayquickly Fri 20-Jul-07 15:33:50

First: went in on Weds, had DS on Saturday. Felt like a medical problem that had to be SOLVED. HAd every drug on the planet and was climbing the walls with pain.

Second: At home in pool, just gas and air, 12 hours. Laughed all the way through (that gas is fab.) Not much pain. Cup of tea 20 mins later and back to my own bed. Aaaaaah.

Quattrocento Fri 20-Jul-07 15:35:15

My second pregnancy was harder but then I was older

But my second labour was a breeze. Think that's the general rule, isn't it? Unless you are unlucky enough to be an exception to the rule of course ...

sleepfinder Fri 20-Jul-07 15:35:35

Ok,these are really helpful, thanks. 1st birth was vaginal, no assistance other than drugs - mobile epidural.

It hurt like holy buggery and I fully expect that part to remain the same...

whywhywhy Fri 20-Jul-07 15:46:22

yes, quicker at least.

But I would say first was actually less painful. 7 hours, only really painful bit was transition.

DS2 2/3 hours, last hour was agony and I would have begged for gas and air if I could have spoken!! And the afterpains were awful. But he did shoot out, bless him.

2nd pregnancy was worse too, I was more sick and absolutely vast.

lulumama Fri 20-Jul-07 15:47:41

sleepfinder

the pain might be the same this time BUT you have prior knowledge of it , and know you can deal with it..so your perception of it will be different.

sleepfinder Fri 20-Jul-07 15:48:54

Good point Lulumama.

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 15:51:45

Erm... I will lie.

Yes, wondefully quick and easy

sleepfinder Fri 20-Jul-07 16:01:34

So what was the problem FD? Why bad or worse 2nd time round?

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 16:08:25

First one was 15 hours start to finish, with established labour about 4 1/2 hours...in the pool for the last hour or so

2nd one was 25 hours start to finish... not enough pain to need anything for them for the most part, but too much to sleep through. Midwife came at about 3am ish (I think), examined me and said sod all was going on, then took her gas and air away with her (it was 21 hours in by then). She came back around 6am and gave me the g&a, told me I wasn't dilated enough to get in the pool - DS was born less than 2 hours later. She refused to listen to me about how my last labour went (similar situation of seemingly not a lot happening, and then suddenly being very dilated), tried to ration my gas & air (homebirth), and wouldn't let me in the pool.

By the end I was just exhausted and grumpy.

I think it was the length that was the main thing, I was sooo tired through not sleeping for 25 hours and contracting a min of every 10 mins for the entire time.

sleepfinder Fri 20-Jul-07 16:11:57

FD that sounds tough. Midwife care also not particularly helpful in that instance...sorry to hear it.

Lostmykeys Fri 20-Jul-07 16:15:06

FD had very similar births to you - first born was a water birth that I breezed through, but second time round was the birth from hell, but generally people unsymapathetic because it was your second!! But Sleepfinder the general pattern seems to be second time round quicker and easier so fingers crossed!! Plus, you still love 'em just as much when they finally arrive!

puppydavies Fri 20-Jul-07 16:38:16

1st transferred homebirth, epidural, ventouse 42 hrs

2nd transferred homebirth, epidural, vaginal delivery, 30 hrs

quicker but perhaps because was shaping up so similar to first time i decided to transfer sooner.

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 16:41:04

One bright side of mine was that my placenta literally fell out - I was sort of crouching/kneeling on the floor having picked up DS, we decided to move me to a better position for the placenta... and found it on the floor!

If I have another I will make it very clear early on how my labours go, and do what I think is right.

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 16:41:27

Why the transfers?

allgonebellyup Fri 20-Jul-07 16:41:27

2nd was much much worse!!

but only because my 1st was amazingly quick (did tear lots though!)

My 2nd had the world's most enormous head and thus could not exit me very well or speedily!! hours and hours of pushing, and many broken blood vessels in my face!! (mmm i looked so attractive)

the little bastard would NOT come out!!!!

SanetJvv Fri 20-Jul-07 16:42:43

1st. one week early. 5 hours in labour, waterbirth gas and air. Only a laseration.

2nd born on due date. 2 hours in labour, waterbirth gas and air. delivering the head was more painfull than 1st time. Intact perineum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now