Talk

Advanced search

Private birth - doula/midwife worth it? ftm

(2 Posts)
Momhope15 Fri 10-May-19 10:03:52

I'm giving birth at st Thomas in the private wing. I am being closely followed by a consultant.

It is my first birth and I am a bit nervous about it. I have gestational diabetes controlled with diet. Would love to have a natural birth without epidural but know that gd could come with a bit of complications.

I am most likely to be induced and I am not sure what to expect from midwives on the day - help with pain, positions etc and also not sure how this differ between private and nhs. Therefore I was wondering whether having either a doula or private midwife to be with me at all times to help me throughout would add any benefit.

OP’s posts: |
HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 10-May-19 13:07:13

I've used doulas with each of my children and think it really made a difference.

Was great to have someone there with a lot more knowledge than me about my options at every stage. They always got on really well with the midwives, knew how to advocate for you without getting on the hospital staff's nerves. I found it an enormous help.

Personally I'd go for a doula over a private midwife just because you'll have a midwife at the hospital who will be there for all the important stuff. A doula is a different sort of role and will maybe offer you something different on the day.

Either way, I'd meet as many as you can and go with the person you just feel you click with the most or who has experience of attending similar births, maybe? Doulas do get really booked up in London so it's worth looking asap.

Congratulations and good luck with the birth!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in