Talk

Advanced search

what to wear?

(26 Posts)
michellejrs Fri 03-May-19 14:49:09

hey everyone,
what did you wear to give birth in and then what did you wear home? I'm not sure whether to wear pjs or something different?

OP’s posts: |
GMtoBe Fri 03-May-19 14:54:27

I wore a hospital gown to give birth and went home in maternity leggings and a long sleeved tunic. To be honest although I obviously planned ahead, by the time I got to going home I didn't care what I wore!

Athousandstars04 Fri 03-May-19 14:59:41

I had on maternity leggings (that were soon removed) and a strappy vest top as I gave birth in April and July so it was warm enough. Then the same home really, leggings and a top. You need to be comfy! And big knickers of course 😂

FuzzyLilac Fri 03-May-19 15:00:45

I had one of DHs huge t shirts on but at some point i stripped off so gave birth naked.
Went home in leggings and a loose long shirt.

ThatsTheLastISawOfHim Fri 03-May-19 15:01:12

I wore a long t shirt style nightie, came home in t short and tracksuit bottoms

JustHereWithPopcorn Fri 03-May-19 15:04:15

I was wearing maternity leggings and top which were very quickly removed.. to go home I think I was in pjs and I really didn't care what I was wearing! Good luck grin

Rightoutofhere Fri 03-May-19 15:46:17

I had a nightie.. was practical and comfy for walking about the delivery room in but obviously didn’t have to take it off for the birth.

Leggings and a long tunic for wearing home. Again practical and comfy, wasn’t really any need to shuffle out the hospital wearing pyjamas.

SimplyPut Fri 03-May-19 15:50:33

Oversized shirt. Ideal for skin to skin straight away but covered me too.

Babdoc Fri 03-May-19 15:53:19

Um... good luck trying to give birth in pj’s, OP!
Joking aside, wear a hospital gown. You don’t want to get your nice nightwear soaked in blood and amniotic fluid. And just take something loose and comfy to go home.

Wolfiefan Fri 03-May-19 15:54:48

I always strip in labour. blush
First time bra only. Water birth
Second time just bottom half off. Didn’t have time to take more off. blush

BillywigSting Fri 03-May-19 15:56:16

A nightie I didn't mind getting covered in blood

Maternity jeans and a baggy jumper to go home in

RaspberryBubblegum Fri 03-May-19 16:03:30

Maternity nightie to give birth and I think leggings and top to go home in, although tbh I don't really remember. My looks were the last thing on my mind 😂

TokyoSushi Fri 03-May-19 16:06:53

I wore 2 nighties, had a reaction to the diamorphene and was sick on both of them so ended up in a hospital gown

Think about taking some sort of nightie as well as pyjamas, if you end up with a catheter or C section then pyjamas can be awkward!

Bobbiepin Fri 03-May-19 16:09:37

Nighties are a good idea. I bought two from primark then didn't change at all and gave birth in a bra and t shirt. I was wearing a sports bra because it was comfy but then struggled to get it off to breastfeed the first time!

DeadDoorpost Fri 03-May-19 16:11:42

Took a bikini top with me but ended up giving birth naked as it was restricting me. Was a water birth though.

Went home in leggings and a nightie

PlinkPlink Fri 03-May-19 16:23:08

I had a huge pair of squishy but not very helpful trousers. They were pretty and flowery but were wide legged. MIL was paranoid I'd keep tripping up in them 😂

Black stretchy strappy top.

The trousers came off when they stuck me in the delivery room. It really wasnt very long.

Way home? I cant even remember. It was such a haze of post-birth tiredness and hunger. Just wanted to go home and get baby settled.

PepsiLola Fri 03-May-19 16:57:07

I honestly can't remember 🙈 I know I bought maternity nighties to give birth in, but then I'm sure when I had an epidural I had a hospital gown on?

Who knows! I know whatever I was wearing it wasn't a pretty sight.

Came home in maternity clothes nothing fancy

Ohyesiam Fri 03-May-19 17:00:23

I gave birth bare, I thought most people did( I was a student nurse in the 80 s and we did a module of obstetrics . All the births i saw the women were naked).
Maybe that’s not the fashion now.
Can’t remember what I wore home. Something big and absorbent.

Newyearsameoldshit Fri 03-May-19 17:26:16

Had to give birth in a hospital gown as I had an epidural - was most put out as I think they're a bit grim!

Came home in elastic waist harem pants and a vest I think. And flip flops - big puffy feet after having IV fluids!

Candycats Fri 03-May-19 17:32:35

I wore a t-shirt style nightie from Primark to give birth in - was good as I didn't care when it got covered in blood etc and I had a catheter in after so allowed for that. Went home in a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms.

MagicKingdom Fri 03-May-19 17:48:08

First baby I wore a hospital gown, second baby I wore a maternity dress (which I had to have cut off shortly after the birth for skin to skin). Packed a huge suitcase with loads of loose clothes but just wore what I turned up to the hospital in!

modgepodge Mon 06-May-19 19:05:48

Look in to happy mama, they make nighties specifically for birth! You can open them for breastfeeding and skin to skin and up the back for an epidural. Similar to a gown but nicer! Lots of people said to me ‘you won’t care what you are wearing once you’re in labour’ but I knew I’d be more comfortable in something nice and wouldn’t want to be naked. I was right. The anaesthetist and midwife both commented on how sensible my nightie thing was smile
Going home, baggy stretchy trousers and a vest top.

SequinsDress Tue 07-May-19 12:20:40

1st birth vest top and knickers (obviously these came off before the actual event).

2nd birth I was in pyjamas/lounge wear then naked when things got down to it.

Going home both times I wore smartish lounge wear. Soft and comfortable but a step up from pyjamas!

annlee3817 Tue 07-May-19 21:38:25

Started off in shorts and a top, on the water just a crop top sports bra type thing, then naked.

Going home I had a vest top and maxi skirt, wish I'd packed my maternity leggings though as the skirt felt uncomfortable even though it was elasticated

happymummy12345 Tue 07-May-19 21:44:39

I had a long nighty (got 2 cheap in primark. I just got the next size up, I didn't bother with maternity clothes), for labour. And a tankini for the birth pool.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in