Talk

Advanced search

If you're really shortsighted, did you wear glasses in labour?

(53 Posts)
BeSpectacled Fri 12-Apr-19 22:19:10

I can't imagine wanting to faff around with my lenses, especially as my eyes have been dry recently, but I was wondering if my glasses will annoy me during labour?

I am really, really shortsighted (-6) and can't really see anything without them...

OP’s posts: |
Bobfossil2 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:20:46

I always wear lenses but wore my glasses in labour (took lenses out when labour started ha) and I didn’t notice them. They usually annoy me but I think I had bigger fish to fry 😂

DoubtOfTheOrdinary Fri 12-Apr-19 22:21:22

Ooh, following because I'm similarly short-sighted and hadn't thought about this!

TooStressyTooMessy Fri 12-Apr-19 22:22:34

I’m a similar prescription. I didn’t wear my contact lenses as I wanted to be able to sleep or rest if needed. I had my glasses on for most of it and then as things got more intense I just took them off and accepted that I wouldn’t see much! I am ok with seeing things close to my face so could still see my baby ok each time. The rest of the room was super blurry but that was just a bit annoying and not top of my worry list at the time grin.

Chinks123 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:22:44

Yes and I didn’t have time to put my contact lenses in, plus the rooms can get quite hot and I knew it would make them dry. I had my glasses on but to be honest everything was irritating me and I took them off. It did make me laugh when she came out and was laid on my chest. I had to put my glasses on and then said “oh there you are.” grin I packed contacts and solution and put them in later on after I’d had a sleep. I’m pregnant again and I’ll be doing the same this time.

QueenDoria Fri 12-Apr-19 22:22:46

I felt I had to take my lenses out as any extra smidgin of discomfort needed to be avoided.
Trouble is, once I’d given birth I couldn’t work out if I’d had a girl or a boy...🥴

Pinkkahori Fri 12-Apr-19 22:23:10

Yes. Never even considered taking them off. I don't feel in control without them and I'm not even very short sighted.

Heyha Fri 12-Apr-19 22:23:13

I hadn't thought about this either! I'm assuming I'll leave mine on (I don't do lenses so no choice there) but if I end up with a c section or anything else I don't want to see it could be quite handy being able to take them off 😂

SueVide Fri 12-Apr-19 22:25:00

I'm a proper Mr Magoo and wore my specs in the birthing pool. As PP said you'll have bigger fish to fry grin

Itwouldtakemuchmorethanthis Fri 12-Apr-19 22:27:11

Extended wear contacts wink. I honestly can’t think when I can’t see.

MoreHairyThanScary Fri 12-Apr-19 22:28:10

QueenDoria me too! Not once but twice I failed to recognise dd1 was a dd and again with dd2 🤣, by the time I got to dd3 I just said tell me!

I am ( very) long sighted wore glasses god the most if labour until the last bit, then they were discarded to one side.

AlfieandAnnieRose Fri 12-Apr-19 22:29:59

I’m even more shortsighted (-9)! I wore my lenses but then I thought I would be sent home so hadn’t even packed my glasses.
I also have dry eyes but I don’t remember being bothered by them, like other posters have said you have more pressing things on your mind 😄. Good luck!

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Fri 12-Apr-19 22:30:16

Similar prescription here. Glasses for baby 1, lenses for baby 2 and glasses for baby 3!

BeSpectacled Fri 12-Apr-19 22:30:27

I'm a proper Mr Magoo and wore my specs in the birthing pool

I'd drop them in the pool with my luck shock

I'm the sort of person that gets annoyed with my hair unless it's tied back or certain types of material. The idea of a blurry room and not being able to tell who is coming in or out freaks me out a little too.

Also worried about losing them, I've only the one pair blush

DramaAlpaca Fri 12-Apr-19 22:31:40

I'm very shortsighted, -7.50 or so. I couldn't wear contacts in pregnancy because my eyes were dry, I think I kept my glasses on in the early stages of labour but took them off when things really got going. I didn't care, just wanted to be comfortable.

Unihorn Fri 12-Apr-19 22:32:03

I'm only -3 but I had my glasses on for both and both were emergency sections, when you're not supposed to have contacts anyway. I don't recall my glasses annoying me as much as usual!

Wolfiefan Fri 12-Apr-19 22:33:49

Mine are over minus 10. blush
I would feel awful and out of control if I couldn’t see. Wore glasses for two births. Don’t wear contacts.

cakeallday Fri 12-Apr-19 22:34:30

Yes, I kept mine on, every time. No problem at all. My contact lenses wouldn't have been practical as I get dry eyes!

mumwon Fri 12-Apr-19 22:35:24

of course you wear glasses cant see a thing without them -most of the time I forget I am wearing them! An old boyfriend did parachuting jumps with glasses taped to nose & head!

TooStressyTooMessy Fri 12-Apr-19 22:35:29

Ah ok I can see why a blurry room would upset you then. I’m a HCP so pretty comfortable in a hospital environment and I knew the rooms and layout well. Also had the opposite worry that I would recognise people coming in and out and then have to work with them on another occasion so the blurriness was a blessing in one way grin.

Could you plan to wear your glasses for most of it then when it gets to the stage that you might drop them etc either plan to change them to contacts before that or at least limit the time things are blurry?

HumpHumpWhale Fri 12-Apr-19 22:35:59

I wore my glasses, but honestly, in the later stages I found I had a kind of tunnel vision, and was very much focused on delivering my baby. I didn't have much awareness of the rest if the room, so not being able to see it wouldn't have mattered as i was so focused on the contractions/ pushing that the sensory input of vision got basically tuned out.

Boobiliboobiliboo Fri 12-Apr-19 22:36:14

I’m a -3. They took my glasses from me when my waters broke and forgot to give them back. It gave me PTSD which took years of therapy to deal with.

Don’t go without your glasses.

BeSpectacled Fri 12-Apr-19 22:41:09

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding flowers

HerculesMulligan Fri 12-Apr-19 22:47:24

Do you know, I couldn't remember. DH says I wore them all the way through. You do have a sort of tunnel vision once you're in established labour, definitely.

peaches19 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:45:12

I’m -6 and wore them all the way through, including in the birthing pool and in theatre for emergency c section!! No way I would have been happy without them and I was in labour for over 48 hours so lenses would have been awful (I only use daily ones occasionally)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in