Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

anterior placenta.. can this cause problems at birth..

(6 Posts)
twoplusone Thu 12-Jul-07 13:57:11

Title says it all realy.

I am 39+4weeks, and have an anterior placenta.. can this cause a problem or not..

TIA>
x 2+1

Annie75 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:20:20

Hi - I've got one too. I don't think it does from reading around it. The only difference it can make is that it can muffle the sound of the baby's heartbeat, so maybe we should make sure we point that out to the midwife so they don't panic!

I have only had nice, gentle kicks through the pregnancy and think it's prob cos of the anterior placenta. Unless it's a low-lying placenta, I don't think there are any associated probs with labour.

Miaou Thu 12-Jul-07 14:22:45

Nope, I had one with ds and it didn't cause me any problems. Sometimes it can lead to the baby lying back-to-back, but not always, and not in my case.

twoplusone Thu 12-Jul-07 14:45:23

Thank you.. babs is ROA still so that is ok..

Scoobyc Sun 15-Jul-07 19:56:09

Hi,
I had this, didn't make any difference to me.
Good luck!

reikizen Sun 15-Jul-07 20:01:02

I think statistically most are anterior, and you are right to think it can muffle the strength of the kicks, but I can't think of any potential problems. The midwife should be able to hear the heartbeat anyway as the placenta is usually at the fundus (the top) and the heartbeat at the bottom (unless the baby is breach).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: