Talk

Advanced search

still bleeding 4 weeks after the birth - is this normal?

(9 Posts)
oohlala Thu 05-Jul-07 11:25:59

I had a fairly normal vaginal induced birth with 3rd child - small tear that was sutured.
I don't like looking but think the stitches have dissolved now and am not getting any pain as I had with 2nd child and episiotomy.
But still bleeding - I think vaginally. It's really getting me down.
Health Visitor says ease up, no exercising. Stopped axercises 2 weeks ago, and am taking it as easy as I can with a 2 year old DS!
But going through 3 pads a day on average - any ideas, or will it just stop in time?

bookthief Thu 05-Jul-07 11:28:06

Are you bf? I bled for about 6 weeks and it was heavier after a feed. Was normal though. I think the length of time you bleed for can vary widely.

FlossALump Thu 05-Jul-07 11:28:51

I thought anything up to 6 weeks was normal. Probably not what you want to hear though! Is it still fresh blood?

Toothache Thu 05-Jul-07 11:29:35

think it's pretty normal.... it could also be your first period!

damewashalot Thu 05-Jul-07 11:31:03

I bled for 6-8 wks with all 3 of mine was told was within normal range. Think as long as is getting lighter slowly not a prob.

lulumama Thu 05-Jul-07 11:32:34

you can bleed for up to 6 weeks if not longer

as long as no big clots, pain or bad smell to the loss, it is ok

you might notice an increase if you are rushing around doing too much !

cheritongirl Thu 05-Jul-07 14:04:39

I bled for 7 weeks after I had my LO - thought it would never stop but it did! Take iron tablets if you are feeling knackered as the bleeding willbe sapping you - they definitely helped me a lot, you can get them at any chemist. Hope it stops soon!

oohlala Fri 06-Jul-07 13:27:07

thanks - seems that it's normal? I'm just tired of wearing pads, and tired in general. Think I'll try the iron tablets, they might help. I am BF too so presuming it can't be a period?!

Loopymumsy Fri 06-Jul-07 14:15:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now