Talk

Advanced search

Possible infection in section scar

(18 Posts)
Yakadee Mon 04-Feb-19 20:16:40

I'm probably emotional and being a bit daft but I feel totally gutted. I'm 6 days post birth and have been feeling really good today, like I'd turned a corner. I had my shower earlier and had a good look at my scar and there are a few little bits that look a bit gunky.

I'll book in at docs tomorrow but just needed to moan somewhere as feeling very sorry for myself 😩

Anyone else had this? I'm hoping (that I'm overreacting and) that's it's just a case of antibiotics? Xxx

OP’s posts: |
Sipperskipper Mon 04-Feb-19 20:19:42

Yep! I had it, about 8 days post section. Mine was full on leaking, looked bloody awful! I was a total mess thinking I’d have to be readmitted into hospital etcetc.... just some oral antibiotics and all cleared up in a week! No issues at all.

Hope it’s sorted quickly and you feel better soon.

Jackshouse Mon 04-Feb-19 20:21:03

It’s very, very common. I had an infection but it was all internally so not treated promptly and I became quite ill.

Yakadee Mon 04-Feb-19 20:32:09

@Sipperskipper - that's really promising, thank you. I'm hoping I've caught it quick and it can get treated asap.

@Jackshouse - that sounds awful, you poor thing.

Xx

Creatureofthenight Mon 04-Feb-19 20:36:01

I had a little gunky bit which the GP just said to keep an eye on. I cleaned it with diluted tea tree oil and it cleared up quite quickly. Make sure you keep the scar clean and dry - drying it with the hairdryer on cool setting is good if you find a towel a bit rough at this stage.

Polestar50 Mon 04-Feb-19 20:36:09

I had an infection the week after my section too. Nothing awful but a bit red and itchy. Short course of antibiotics cleared it up and the scar is fine. I know it is worrying, on top of everything else you're dealing with with a newborn but am sure you'll be fine.

If you do take antibiotics it's a really good idea to take a probiotic at the same time to try to keep some of the 'good' bacteria going, especially if you are breastfeeding.

I didn't do this and my baby and I ended up with nipple/oral thrush after the antibiotics. It was horrid and took a while to get rid of.

There are recommendations about how and when to take pro and antibiotics together. This is a good website https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/preventing-thrush/
Definitely worth a quick look!

Polestar50 Mon 04-Feb-19 20:42:56

Ooh and congratulations, obviously!!!!

Bobfossil2 Mon 04-Feb-19 20:44:31

I had this and didn’t even get given antibiotics. Just had a few salt baths, kept it very dry and it was all sorted. I felt so much better a fortnight after the section.

Yakadee Mon 04-Feb-19 20:45:58

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it will be all fine. I had an infection in my stitches (vb) with my first and I had all sorts going on so don't know if it's partly that and I'm worrying about the complications I had then.

This was not even a little bit the same, this was a much better experience, I wish it was morning already so I could call the docs! Xx

iknowimcoming Mon 04-Feb-19 20:50:46

Are you not still under midwife care op? If so give her a call/text and explain - mine would bring prescriptions out if she knew I needed them - congrats and get well soon

Yakadee Mon 04-Feb-19 20:55:18

@iknowimcoming - I'm not sure actually? They came to see me on day 3 and then I went to hospital yesterday for baby to get weighed etc. The midwife yesterday did look at my scar and said it was healing well.

@Polestar50 - thank you - she's awesome 😍

Jackshouse Mon 04-Feb-19 21:08:31

You are normally under midwife care until day 10. If you are very worried then call the maternity ward.

Yakadee Tue 05-Feb-19 07:23:01

@Jackshouse - thanks, I will. Midwife is at my surgery on a Tuesday anyway so hopefully I'll be able to see her or gp x

Yakadee Tue 05-Feb-19 10:54:13

Been to the docs this morning and thankfully no infection. I'm very relieved x

Jackshouse Tue 05-Feb-19 11:20:58

That’s good but if gets hot, red or you begin to feel unwell then get it checked again.

brokenhead Tue 05-Feb-19 11:26:35

Are you still wearing a bandage?
I took mine off the next day and had it replaced then I think I wore a sanitary towel over it for a couple of days
Is it maybe a bit damp and needs some air to dry out
How scary for you

Yakadee Tue 05-Feb-19 11:29:25

@Jackshouse - yes that's what she said. She said it was just where it was scabbing up but she could see why I thought that.

@brokenhead - it's been free since say 3 now so nothing covering it. I was terrified about her taking it off but it actually felt better for it x

brokenhead Tue 05-Feb-19 11:41:25

I was TERRIFIED of taking it off. I had this feeling I would just fall open, god knows.
So glad you've turned a corner with pain as well xxx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in