Talk

Advanced search

Elective c-section - advice very welcome

(19 Posts)
BabloHoney Mon 04-Feb-19 14:24:13

Would love some advice from anyone who has successfully requested an elective c-section. Currently a few weeks pregnant with baby number 2, my first baby was an (absolutely terrifying) emergency c section in 2014. I have my reasons for wanting a planned c section this time, but I have a habit of getting overwhelmed and clamming up in face to face situations blush

When I meet with the consultants / midwives, do I need to be armed with reasons and justify my choice? or is it enough to just be sure and stick to my guns? Would love any tips from anyone who's been through similar, thank you kind people of Mumsnet!!

OP’s posts: |
Yellowcar2 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:30:33

I had an emergency c section with DC1 when I fell pregnant VBAC was pushed as the way to go so I agreed. During scans the size of baby was estimated as being bigger than DC1 who was 9lb 7oz. I was beginning to worry as didn't want to end up having an emergency c section again. Spoke to consultant and she was happy for me to have either option and at my request booked me in for a c section at 39 weeks.

They will probably push for VBAC so having some reasons handy wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good luck x

BabloHoney Mon 04-Feb-19 14:36:51

Thanks so much Yellow. My worry is I'll be pushed towards a VBAC too, I know it isn't what I want but I can be so bad at getting my point across!

I'll make sure I write down my reasons. Glad you got the section you wanted in the end x

OP’s posts: |
Pommes Mon 04-Feb-19 14:42:36

My story is similar to @Yellowcar2.

EMCS for baby one, I then wanted to and was encouraged to have a VBAC for baby 2, until the 37 week growth scan showed baby was a biggie and the consultant booked an ELCS for 39+2 weeks at my request.

My only word of caution is that the more surgery you have, the more complicated scar tissue can be internally. I have just had a third c-section and was politely told by the consultant I should consider concluding my family here (which was very much our plan anyway) because of complications relating to the scar tissue from previous deliveries.

CatcherofDreams Mon 04-Feb-19 14:59:03

I had a traumatic experience with dc1 and ended up with an emergency c section due to a placental abruption after 20 hours of labour. The midwives at the time told me I'd had just about the worst birth experience 'and still have a live baby' , I was offered counselling and they also assured me that a planned section would be offered with any subsequent births.

Fast forward four years and expecting dc2, my consultant flatly refused me an elective section at a meeting in her office, my response was to burst into tears but my lovely DH just calmly stood up, thanked her politely for her time and said in that case we would be seeking a second opinion.

We weren't even halfway to the door when she had her diary out and was offering us a date for the section.

thismeansnothing Mon 04-Feb-19 15:01:35

I had an emergency section with DD1. General anaesthetic. 2 blood transfusions. 5 day hospital stay.

I said at my booking appointment I wanted an elcs this time. I had a consultant appointment booked for 16 weeks and went armed with nice guidance and all my thoughts written down. I got as far as saying id like an elective, they said ok, see you when your 37 weeks.

Just has my 37 week appointment, signed the consent form and waiting for my date. My trust definitely haven't made me jump through any hoops

AlwaysColdHands Mon 04-Feb-19 15:06:53

Had section in 2014 for breech baby, expecting now in April. From the outset I’ve been offered what feels like a genuine, unproblematic choice. I’ve expressed my preference for a section again which was met without even a bat of the eyelid, so although I know it’s not a done deal yet it seems like maternal preference absolutely warrants it. I do feel very lucky given the difficulties some people seem to be experiencing. Best of luck to you!

whatswithtodaytoday Mon 04-Feb-19 15:11:54

Have you checked your own trust's response to the NICE guidelines around elective c sections? I did this before even getting pregnant, as I knew I would want to request one and wanted to know how much resistance I'd face.

Mine was a request due to severe anxiety related to previous gynea problems and related tokophobia. I've been under the care of the perinatal mental health team since about 20 weeks, and have felt very well supported in my decision. They made sure I saw a sympathetic consultant, and I was told if said consultant did disagree I could just keep asking till I found one who said yes. In the event she just read over my notes and agreed straight away, no fuss.

In my experience reading elective stories on here, with a previous traumatic birth and EMCS you should be ok, but it will depend on your trust to some extent.

bluechameleon Mon 04-Feb-19 15:25:30

I had an EMCS with DS1 and wanted an ELCS with DS2. I had a 'birth choices' appointment with a senior midwife where she went through all the different risk factors of each method of delivery and personalised them for me based on my history. At the end she asked what I wanted and wrote it in my notes. I then had an appointment with someone from the consultant's team and they just asked what I wanted and booked it in the diary.

Yellowcar2 Mon 04-Feb-19 16:09:57

I also concur with Pommes about extra risks with multiple surgery. I have recently had DC3 by another EMSC and had complications with my bowl adhering to scar tissue and was also advise no more pregnancies.

Flamingosnbears Mon 04-Feb-19 16:12:35

VBAC is what they push towards unfortunately, you do have to stand firm it's your body and you know its limits.

HoustonBess Mon 04-Feb-19 16:20:42

EMCS a few years ago, consultant for DC2 said straight up I could have ELCS if I want as there were risks on either side. I was pleasantly surprised as was expecting to be pushed towards VBAC.

You know your own mind and experience OP, but in my case after thinking it all through I'm most likely opting for VBAC. Factors being CS having longer recovery time, harder to lift/play with toddler, more challenging start to BF. When I was first pregnant though, I got obsessed with VBAC and researching how to get ELCS...

Whatever you decide, it might be worth having a debrief of first birth or talking through your feelings about it with someone. You'll be in a hospital environment in any event, so even with an ELCS maybe it's a good idea to deal with some of the feelings/trauma.

BTW I've heard saying you'll insist on a home VBAC if you can't have ELCS can also open doors...

BabloHoney Mon 04-Feb-19 16:56:05

Thank you so much everyone, all very helpful responses & have read with interest! Experiences do seem to differ which I guess is all down to which trust you are under, but certainly encouraged to see some people have been able to request an elective section without much argument. Is there an easy way to see my trust’s response to the NICE guidelines? I did try and look it up but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

I’ll definitely ask about a birth debrief too, that is a good idea. Good to know on the multiple surgeries too.. this is definitely last baby for us 😊

Thankyou again for taking the time to share experiences x

OP’s posts: |
le42 Mon 04-Feb-19 17:27:21

I asked for an elective for my first pregnancy. I had very severe pelvic girdle pain, was housebound for a number of weeks, we were predicted a 10lb baby and they wanted to induce me at term as a result. The baby wasn’t engaged at all and I felt this would be a very traumatic experience so I asked for a c section. I listened to them try to talk me out of it but just calmly said I would still like to have one and they booked it for the following week. They were a bit scaremongering about it but ultimately I was able to ask.

It went really well and I’m super relieved I did it.

Good luck!

whatswithtodaytoday Mon 04-Feb-19 17:54:39

Your trust's response should be available on Google, it might just take some digging. Mine is also in my maternity notes.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Mon 04-Feb-19 19:45:11

Depends on the consultant I think. Our trust is very vbac friendly but I went in armed with statistics etc ready for a fight and was asked what I wanted, said I wanted a c-section and they said okay.

They asked if I wanted to go over my notes from last time again but accepted no as an answer. I also refused the vbac clinic. When I went into labour early, they tried to push for trying, especially as I got to full dilation the first time but the (different) consultant accepted my reasons and delivered dd in a very relaxed semi emergency section.

I think scar tissue really varies from person to person/surgery to surgery. I had barely any when they did my 2nd...I know because she showed me it in a bowl.

Since2016 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:20:29

EMCS with #1 and ELCS for #2 booked for 2 days time here. I had a v prolonged labour followed by an EMCS and a baby in NICU. There was no issue at all, in fact the consultant said that upon reading my notes she thought that to ask me to try to go naturally again would probably be incredibly traumatising and she wouldn’t recommend it. I think it depends on who you get and what happened the first time. If it was a simple breech baby they may more strongly encourage vbac, but an EMCS is usually indicative of complications. Make sure you know the risks and can be coherent about your understanding of them. Don’t be combative. Good luck!

DrWhoLovesMe Tue 05-Feb-19 08:33:28

My first was due to breech, so it was elective in that it wasn’t an emergency, but they were very clear they didn’t want to deliver a first baby breech if they could help it. That’s relevant because here having one c section means you are offered one for your following pregnancies.
Make your thought clear at the start, but they may not discuss it in more detail until later on in the pregnancy.
Even when I’d been admitted to hospital with other complications I had a doctor trying to persuade me to change my mind, I think that was the day before I was booked in and I’d been in hospital a week waiting for my slot in surgery.
Her argument was; the only way to avoid an emergency section was an elective one.
Form your argument around that

BabloHoney Tue 05-Feb-19 13:53:23

Thanks so much again everyone, you've all been a big help! Got a booking appointment with the midwife team next week so going to put it out there straight away I want an elective and see where I get to.. just hope i don't get flustered and trip on my words, I've written down lots of good tips from this thread! x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in