Talk

Advanced search

C-sections and Arnica?

(11 Posts)
Twiga Wed 27-Jun-07 21:03:31

Facing a second section (elective this time) on Fri, could someone please give me the low down on Arnica for bruising etc? How often to take, where to get etc? Many thanks...

ps apologies as this has prob been done many times but I'm kinda short on time as has been a last min decision.

babyducky Wed 27-Jun-07 21:10:46

sorry cant help u but just bumping this, i would like to know aswell, my friend is also having a c section on fri.

Twiga Wed 27-Jun-07 22:55:53

bump

Twiga Thu 28-Jun-07 08:07:41

bumping for the morning

Catz Thu 28-Jun-07 09:56:18

I'm no expert on these things but I was told 200c for C/section and either 200c or 30c for vaginal birth by the woman in Neal's Yard yesterday. I bought the 200c. Was about £5 for lots of tablets. She said you should take them without touching them wiht your hand and could take them 'every 5 mins if you want to' at the time then continue to take them until things are healed (at least two weeks).

As I say, that's just what I was told yesterday. Holland and Barrett do them too but I'm not sure if they do 200c. Boots do 6c and 30c.

Hope someone with more knowledge comes along

TuttiFrutti Thu 28-Jun-07 10:00:54

I took the 200c ones, three times a day for the week before the c-section, then every 2 hours on the day and for a week afterwards, then back to three times a day for another week. My recovery this time was massively better than last time when I didn't take Arnica, so I think they helped.

hannahsaunt Thu 28-Jun-07 10:36:52

Hi

I know it's disappointing but hopefully much more positive than the last time so a much nicer experience all round. Have emailed waswondering to come one here re arnica etc as she had an elective last time. Looking forward to your news!

Waswondering Thu 28-Jun-07 10:44:31

Get to boots or good Pharmacy - tesco might stock.

Take the pillules (can't remember the dose but it doesn't matter) by tipping into lid of bottle and then onto your tongue. You need a degree to get the bally things out of the boots bottle, I warn you! It makes a huge difference to your healing.

Take 15 mins away from food - before or after, but not at the same time. Start taking TODAY, approx x3 daily. I took mine for about a week or 10 days.

Right. E c-s is not a first choice but you won't labour so won't have the same scenario as last time where you are exhausted by the end. This is for medical reasons. Don't feel bad about it. A physio will rehearse your post birth movements with you prior to going to theatre. You will walk to theatre when they send for you, your bed following you like an oversized bridesmaid. Wear your dressing gown or everyone at AMH gets a view of your flapping gown and comfy pants!! I had a FANTASTIC Irish anaesthetist - so lovely who provided the narrative which was great. You know the deal re a c-s as had one before. This time your recovery will be different - you haven't laboured and the arnica will help. Tell dd that she comes to you for cuddles as mummy's tummy is sore and you can't lift her - I told ds (a bit older than your dd then) that the doctors had to cut mummy's tummy.

Big hugs, all the very, very, best and I can't wait to read your birth announcement (from hosp, you know! Bedside keyboards now!!) [hug] Take care, xx

vonsudenfed Thu 28-Jun-07 10:45:53

Helios.co.uk do all of the different strengths, and mail them to you really quickly - I had the 200c ones and even the midwives were amazed how quickly and painlessly I healed after an emergency c-section. Good luck - it's all worth it!

lulumama Thu 28-Jun-07 11:50:36

arnica definitely excellent for helping

why ? do you want to talk about it ? there are things you can do to make a planned c,s more personal....

LilRedWG Thu 28-Jun-07 11:51:44

Twiga - you can have a copy of my CS birth plan if you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now