Talk

Advanced search

Sudden lower back pain 1 week post birth

(3 Posts)
TickVG Sun 09-Dec-18 19:25:09

Argh, my lower back in sudden intense pain, just after I'd started to feel pretty good walking around etc. I'm laid up on sofa and needing help with basically everything from dh. Had a c section last week and seemed to go pretty well. Went shopping today so moved around more than I had been. How annoying! Anyone any experience or advice? Am taking painkillers and midwives will visit tues so I can raise then. Don't think trying to get to GP tomorrow is worth the hassle angry

OP’s posts: |
sycamore54321 Mon 10-Dec-18 14:31:16

I am sorry to hear you are in pain. I would think you need to seek medical advice and not wait for a midwife visit. It could well be a ‘normal’ muscular thing due to you needing to engage unfamiliar muscles to compensate for the c-section. Or it could be a sign of something quite serious - depending on where it is and what type of pain, it could be an infection of your kidney or uterus, etc. Post-partum is not a good time to take chances.

One additional issue since you mention being laid up on the sofa. Post birth, and post surgery of any kind, you are at significantly higher risk of developing blood clots in your legs or lungs. Being immobile for hours on end is a big contributing factor. So even if the back pain is not from a worrying cause, the fact that you are stuck on the sofa could be dangerous for you so it’s another reason you need medical help in fairly short order. You may need medication to prevent your risk of blood clots while you have reduced mobility.

Please call your doctor. Best wishes

TickVG Mon 10-Dec-18 16:27:26

Thanks so much for the reply! I feel a lot better and mobile after resting although am taking it v easy. I suspect it is muscular. Yes good point on keeping moving and I'm making sure to do that. And still wearing my awful socks grin Sadly I had to miss out on my daughter's first nativity but all things considered even in my improved state I wouldn't have been able to hack 30 mins in a tiny child's chair! smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in