Talk

Advanced search

Saying no to inducement?

(13 Posts)
LuvSmallDogs Wed 05-Dec-18 23:19:51

Today I had a MW appt - 40+3 with viable pregnancy 3 (4th pregnancy counting uncomplicated early MC).

MW offered me a sweep, which I had with DS2 to great effect at 41+1 so I said sure - nope, cervix too high.

So MW offered to book me in for a sweep on Saturday (40+6) - and I could get induced then if it failed again! I told her I feel very reluctant to be induced so she booked me in for Wednesday (41+3) saying “don’t worry, you’ll have given birth by then”.

I feel really upset about possibly getting induced. My mum was induced with me at 42 weeks, resulting in a long drawn out labour, foetal distress, meconium in the waters and a crash section - I nearly died.

I know it’s dumb, but the thought of being attached to a drip creeps me out. I don’t want my husband’s week of paternity to tick down as I’m hooked to god knows what for hours with no effect.

All they’ll tell you about caesareans is that they “encourage natural birth where possible” - not fucking natural when I’m pumped full of drugs to start it though is it? Oh but as long as he pops out my vag who cares, box ticked! I’m not allowed epidurals (spinal abnormality) so I’m guaranteed to be in agony if it results in a long, drawn out attached to monitors shit show.

I wanted to say “if you’re that worried, knock me out and cut me open and have done with it” but I chickened out. I feel railroaded over this.

If I have to, I can say no on Wednesday, right? Or I can at least demand a proper sit down conversation instead of “you’ll do this, you’ll do that”?

OP’s posts: |
AHeartAPenny Wed 05-Dec-18 23:31:21

You can absolutely have a proper conversation - but it should be with a consultant obstetrician, not a midwife. If you go in for your sweep at 40+6, ask for an obstetric appointment to discuss this (or arrange it by phone tomorrow - they do tend to get booked up quickly).
It might also be worth a discussion with an anaesthetist about your pain relief options. If you can't have an epidural, can you have a spinal if you need an EMCS, or would they do it under GA? If you did have an induction and needed pain relief could you perhaps have a PCA?
About 85% of women go into spontaneous labour before 41+3 so your odds are good! And having had babies before means you're much less likely to need the whole induction kit and caboodle - often they just break your waters and that's enough to get you going.
Good luck! Hopefully you'll go into labour in the next few days and not need any of this smile

AHeartAPenny Wed 05-Dec-18 23:33:37

Oh, and if you do want a planned section rather than an induction, that is your prerogative!

GoodHeavensNoImAChicken Wed 05-Dec-18 23:42:45

I completely get your fear of being induced but after 42 weeks it’s dangerous for baby to stay in there so if he hasn’t budged in the next few days unfortunately you won’t have much choice! sad

Fingers crossed he gets a move on and comes out naturally beforehand. Best of luck with everything xx

gallicghoul Wed 05-Dec-18 23:49:11

Of course you have a choice. Induction is a medical procedure that you have to give consent to. As a population, there is a risk of placental failure after 42 weeks but it isn't a given in every case.
Ask what the risks of induction are versus the risks of expectant management. Ask for your Bishops score which will give you an indication of how successful an induction might be. Ask if they will facilitate periodic monitoring after 42 weeks to check the placenta is working well so you are better informed as to when to request induction.

Having said that, your midwife is trying to get you to relax in the hope the right hormones kick in and the birth happens naturally.

firsttimebabybirther Thu 06-Dec-18 00:08:25

I declined induction (educated , researched decision of course) I gave birth at 42 weeks.

Let's be really clear you do not have to say yes to anything , you can absolutely decline induction. But please ensure you are absolutely sure this is best for you and baby.

DS was 2 weeks "late" and I was repeatedly pushed towards induction because I was measuring small. Out came DS 2 weeks later , no induction , never even a sweep, at 9 pounds 6 (small!!!!) I did agree to continuous monitoring as I thought this was important and I was also scanned to check placenta health so I was positive I was making the right decision.

I think you should weigh up all the pros and cons and use BRAIN ( benefits , risks , alternatives , instinct and nothing ) but please don't allow yourself to be pushed into anything.

Orsy2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 09:46:55

I was induced at 40+6 despite stating I was against it from the start. I was coerced into it by the 'doctor' who basically told me if I didn't have the induction then I was risking a stillbirth and it would be on my conscience. Nice. Basically she scare mongered me into it. I hate to say it but it was a disaster. There is a reason it's called the drug of the devil.
Ended up with emcs. I was allergic to the pessary. I hyperstimulated causing distress to the baby and I ended up with an epidural and basically didn't leave my bed from the time I went in until the time I left which was one week later. I'd stressed I wanted to be mobile. The midwives and theatre staff were ghastly and ignorant.
It was horrifically painful and I've since been diagnosed with PTSD because of what they did to me.
I had a meeting with them and it turns out I was lied to regarding the section too. I was made to sign paperwork stating my life/baby's life was in imminent danger and I honestly thought I was going to die. Turns out that the section wasn't necessary and there was no danger; it was merely a time thing as I'd been pushing for over an hour. I would've pushed for a week if it meant I'd avoid what happened to me. I am taking this further as they've ruined the first year of my baby's life because of it. I have been referred to a plastic surgeon due to the damage they've caused me.
It's up to you, but in hindsight I realise now they weren't doing it for my sake. They were doing it to cover their backs and also because induction is much, much cheaper than a c section. I guess they didn't count on it backfiring on them. If you don't want to be induced, then don't. I hope baby arrives before, but if you want a elcs, tell them. It's your choice. They'll try and tell you that you haven't a choice but you have. I have my fingers crossed for you. Please let us know how you get on.

MynameisJune Thu 06-Dec-18 09:59:19

I was induced with DD at 38 weeks due to reduced movements. it took 4 days of monitoring and pessaries before they broke my water and put me on a drip. After 2.5hrs of pushing, getting no where I was given a spinal and they tried the ventouse which worked. Had that not worked it would have been EMCS. I have a low pelvic arch and DD had a 98th centile head. Being stuck on my back on a bed wasn’t enough to push her out.

I’m 17 weeks pregnant again and there is no way I will be induced again unless a) my cervix is already favourable (mine wasn’t at all but friends where and had positive inductions) b) I am guaranteed in writing from the head of midwives and the consultant that I will not be stuck in a bed on my back.

If not then they can cut me open, because I know which one will be better for my mental health in the long term.

You are definitely not being unreasonable to decline.

bobstersmum Thu 06-Dec-18 10:11:11

I was booked to be induced with my third. I was one week over and it was booked for exactly 42 weeks. I cried all the way home. The midwife did do a successful sweep though. I had dd 3 days later. I did use clary sage oil with my last two babies though once I got to my due date. A couple drops on a tissue and inhaled every so often can help to kick start contractions, I also used it in labour instead of gas and air.

DuggeeHugs Thu 06-Dec-18 13:57:27

You can say no. I wish I had with DC1. Opted for an ELCS with DC2 and was really pleased - both CSs were lovely, controlled deliveries. I only wish I'd been given a choice first time around.

thismeansnothing Thu 06-Dec-18 14:18:08

Course you can say no! I felt railroaded into induction with my first. An application was made without even asking me. When I got home and thought about it I rung up and cancelled. (Except it wasn't and I was the lady that DNAd her induction 🤔) instead I had two failed sweeps and met a consultant and had a scan to check placenta at 41+6. It was agreed I'd have another sweep at 42+1 (which again was unsuccessful as cervix wasn't favourable) and I agreed to induction at 42+4. DD had other ideas and I went into labour naturally at 42+3

thismeansnothing Thu 06-Dec-18 14:18:41

Application?! Appointment

TheLovelyOtherDinosaur Thu 06-Dec-18 14:35:59

I had to be induced at 37 weeks due to waters breaking at 36+5. I was unable to have an epidural- x2 anaesthetists tried for over an hour without success but came to the conclusion that my anatomy wasn’t conducive to getting into the epidural space appropriately therefore I had to crack on.
I was in agony and baby was back to back. After 6 hours I was still only 4cm dilated and I started to hyperventilate as I knew I couldn’t carry on. I ended up having a c-section as the anaesthetists could do a spinal block. Anaesthetists and midwife both said afterwards I made the right decision.
If I knew beforehand that I couldn’t have an epidural and had to be induced I’d definitely be talking about a planned c-section. Good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in