Advanced search

Can you request c section over induction?

(15 Posts)
Liz3891 Wed 10-Oct-18 13:55:42

It's looking more and more likely that I will not be allowed to go to term due to hypertension. For various reasons I think I'd rather a c section over induction if it comes down to it. Is this something you can insist on or will they refuse a c section unless induction fails?

OP’s posts: |
overagain Wed 10-Oct-18 14:18:28

Well, you can request a c section for any reason you like. Whether they will grant that request is down entirely to your hospital/ trust.

AmazingGrace16 Wed 10-Oct-18 14:23:06

I'm in a very similar position. What's your bp?

Liz3891 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:38:25

It was 150/110 but I'm on medication now so it's stabilized around 130/90ish. It's controlled by the medication but they still think there's no downside to delivery at 37 weeks compared to continuing to 40 with medication.

OP’s posts: |
DuggeeHugs Wed 10-Oct-18 18:57:37

You don't have to consent to an induction. I had one when my bp reached 180/110 and wish I'd refused it. If you refuse there will be a discussion about CS or wait for spontaneous labour - you should definitely press your case for CS if you want one.

AmazingGrace16 Wed 10-Oct-18 19:49:21

@duggeehugs that's so interesting. What gestation were you when you accepted? I've been under pressure to induce for a large baby for a while now and my last consultant appointment my bp had crept up. (140/90) They made me feel awful for declining induction again.
I've monitored it and at the gp it's 127/80

Makethisquick Wed 10-Oct-18 19:52:34

DSIL refused induction and had CS. Not sure of further details but she had done research on induction and had been hoping to avoid.

Mumof1littlemonster Wed 10-Oct-18 19:57:47

I had a induction with my first 3yrs ago & all I can say is that it really was the worst decision I have ever made which ended in me having a emergency section. This time around I’ve opted for elective section & hospital had no issues and I am going ahead with this mid November. They shouldn’t have a problem with you wanting a csection, good luck flowers x

Liz3891 Wed 10-Oct-18 20:10:50

I think if I could be sure induction would end in a natural birth I'd go for it, even if it were more painful etc. It's the fact that it could easily end in an emergency c section that bothers me as if I'm going to have a section anyway, I'd rather it be planned.

OP’s posts: |
DuggeeHugs Wed 10-Oct-18 20:21:51

@AmazingGrace16 I was 39+2 when my bp went that high and I was taken straight to labour ward from clinic. They didn't tell me I could refuse, it was all put to me as 'this is what we're doing'. After 6 days of failed induction - with obs every 2-4 hours day and night - it was 2am and I told the doctor she wasn't to come near me again and neither were the midwives unless they could show it would actually help me or the baby. I then had to have a chat with the supervisor of midwives at 5am. When I explained it all she told me to stick to my guns with the consultant. I saw him at 8am and he ordered an EMCS straightaway. DS was born at 40+0.

I really regret how naive I was and that I'd believed the midwives at antenatal class when they'd glossed over induction. When it came to pregnancy two I went straight in with my request for an ELCS.

Has your consultant given you options other than induction? It might be a good idea to push for a plan

AmazingGrace16 Wed 10-Oct-18 20:31:43

I'm so sorry you went through that. No they weren't really willing to negotiate anything with me and because I was borderline mild I just refused induction and offered to monitor at home
I'm back in tomorrow to review.

DuggeeHugs Wed 10-Oct-18 20:41:36

@AmazingGrace16 how many weeks are you? Do you have a preference for how you'd like things to be managed? If so, it may be worth writing that down to take with you tomorrow.

If you haven't already seen it, this link allows you to look up your chosen hospital/unit:

It gives figures on their deliveries in the last year, e.g., VB, unplanned CS, ventouse, etc., all against the national average. It used to show induction rates too but I haven't checked that for a while. It might help give you a picture of how your unit operates and give you some backup in whatever request you make. Good luck flowers

AmazingGrace16 Wed 10-Oct-18 21:20:36

Thank you. I'm 40w now but planning a home birth which is why they are a bit funny with Me!!

Scrumptiousbears Wed 10-Oct-18 21:22:54

I was induced after being taken to hospital with high bloody pressure. After 3 days of being induced via various methods nothing worked and I was taken for an emergency CS at 4am

Aaarrrggghh Wed 10-Oct-18 21:29:35

I opted for an elective C-section over an induction. I was under a consultant for polyhidramenos (sp?) and had regular growth scans because they were expecting a big baby.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in