Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Chances of needing c section after vaginal birth for first DC?

(12 Posts)
Clockwork95 Thu 02-Aug-18 18:25:13

Did anyone need to have a CS with their second child having had a relatively straightforward birth first time round? If so why?

I'm about to TTC and am not keen on the idea of a CS (obviously if it's a medical necessity I'll have one, it just wouldnt be my preference).

Everyone tells me second births are usually easier but I cant find any actual data on this or on the likelihood or needing a CS or instrumental delivery second time if you didn't need them the first time.

My first DC was born vaginally, birth was quite quick (6 hours start to finish) but I had episiotomy and 2nd degree tear. So sort of straightforward, sort of not!

BertieBotts Thu 02-Aug-18 18:31:21

If you had a normal delivery the first time apparently your chances of a second vaginal birth are over 95%.

I couldn't get the page which claimed this to load so I don't know where it comes from, sorry! But I know that the biggest factor predicting c-section chance is whether you've already had one before, so it also makes sense that the opposite would be true.

Clockwork95 Fri 03-Aug-18 12:53:40

Thanks bertie. That sounds like good odds! How does that compare to your chances of a CS first time round?

Beansonapost Fri 03-Aug-18 13:29:59

Sections are almost always a medical necessity.

With my first I had an emergency section completely unplanned. When they broke my waters my DD decided to stick her hand out the womb and into the vagina and they couldn't get it back in... and it wasn't worth the risk of natural birth for her to end up with a disability (head crushing arm on the way out). Or for her to cut her own oxygen supply off.

With number 2 I was given the option. I went with a planned section. As it was explained to me it was less risky than an emergency section given my history. I also wasn't keen on vaginal birth because I couldn't be bothered and accepted all involved with section recovery etc.

My mother has had 8 children all vaginal... she says with each it got easier. My youngest sister was born within 1 hour of labour starting & my mother said she just "popped" out 😐. My siblings with children have all praised vaginal deliveries and how easier it was second/third time around. I think it's mostly because you kind of have an idea of what to expect although each birth is different you certainly won't be as petrified as the first.

Lightsong Fri 03-Aug-18 13:35:08

My first was a straightforward VB but second (8 years later) was c section. Not planned at all.

BalancingStick Fri 03-Aug-18 13:42:01

My first was natural vaginal birth - no complications. Second was emergency c section as she was breech and got into distress. You cannot plan these things...

Clockwork95 Fri 03-Aug-18 19:48:52

Thanks for the responses. I don't know why I've got such a thing about this, the idea of a CS really worries me. Yet I wasn't like this before my first birth, I don't think.

nellierose Tue 07-Aug-18 14:11:22

I believe your odds of needing a c-section drop dramatically once you've had a successful vaginal birth. Obviously the chance still exists but is a lot smaller than a 1st time Mum or a Mum who's previous birth was a CS

lozengeoflove Sat 11-Aug-18 11:51:29

1st labour - 6 hours from first contraction. 2nd degree tear.
2nd labour - 1.5 hours start to finish. 1st degree tear.
On my 3rd pregnancy now and I’ll need a CS due to complete placenta praevia sad

To rephrase F. Gump: pregnancy is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get grin

Clockwork95 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:44:22

@lozengeoflove haha that's very true. Sorry to hear about the placenta previa. I came close to needing a caesarean in my first pregnancy due to a low placenta but a scan at 36 weeks showed it had moved. Hope you haven't had too much bleeding and it hasn't been too much of a worry!

MingeUterusMingeMingeYoni Sun 12-Aug-18 17:53:41

You'll also need to consider your age, weight, baby's positioning and whether you have had any gynae or health issues since last time.

Clockwork95 Mon 13-Aug-18 06:41:53

I'll probably be 32 when the next one is born if all goes well, and my BMI is 22 - I'm guessing both of those are ok.

Baby's positioning obviously a wild card although DD was back to back...

No health issues since last birth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: