Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Elective c section number 2?

(3 Posts)
Roseandharry Wed 13-Jun-18 20:13:48

I'm 8 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 (baby number 1 is only 7 months old - a very pleasant surprise to get pregnant again so quickly at my age 39!). Anyway my first birth was an elective c section due to placenta previa which was a very positive experience and I healed well. I've read that they really encourage you to have a VBAC - however that terrifies me!! I know each birth is different but given my last experience was so positive I'd really like to go for a c section again. Is it my right to choose or do I have to go with what the hospital says?

Confusedmummydotcom Thu 14-Jun-18 16:29:55

Hello and congratulations on your pregnancy!

In my experience, because I had a previous C-section, the midwife booked me in to see the obstetrician and another midwife to discuss birth options (VBAC as well as Elective C-section). I have just seen the obstetrician yesterday and was told that after I speak to the midwife and all pros and cons are explained to me, I get to decide what kind of birth I have and they will fully support me. I did feel like they were trying to go towards VBAC but the appointment was short and not all health complications were looked at, so I am quite sure they will change their stance once they fully assess me. I will very much push for my elective C-section as I really don't want a VBAC to turn into an emergency C-section. Hope this helps smile

Roseandharry Thu 14-Jun-18 17:34:07

Congratulations on your pregnancy too @Confusedmummydotcom !! That's really really helpful thank you !! I definitely would like another c section so pleased that it seems it will be my (informed) choice!! It's funny I was so devastated when I discovered my first was going to have to be a section but it turns out it was so positive I wouldn't have it any other way !!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: